RUT ACTIVITY UPDATES?

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sligh1, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Ishi

Ishi Turkey Time

No in the stand :D 6 more bucks & 4 does since the last post :)

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Last night passed two good ones.... future stars. Deer movement was good. Neither deer was 5.

This morning It was absolutely dead until the frost cleared and then saw 3 small bucks walking. Zero does. Very quiet morning.

This evening.... at home with sick kiddos.

4. SeIowa69

SeIowa69 Active Member

Louisa county I’ve had bucks running wild last 2 days, Been hearing about a lot of ppl shooting good bucks it’s definitely time to be in a tree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

I'm surprised to hear Iowa has been on the slower side. Seems exreme Northern MO gets going 3-4 days before Southern IA. We've been seeing older bucks daily since we started hunting on 11\1 either out of stand or on cams. Older being 4 or older. Even saw a 6 year old geezer on Friday but he probably isn't over 130.

My brother had to go back to work for the week and I killed a wide 10 on Monday at 1:35 I thought was a different buck so I'm done. One o those deals where he stepped out of the cedars giving me seconds to shoot....

Of course a cam pull yesterday revealed a new buck I'd gladly eat a tag trying to kill. He was working a scrape at 2:40 on 11/3.

6. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Active Member

I use the same saying. Buddies and I always think they get locked down before they do cuz of this "calm" period then book! All Heck breaks loose Nov 6 to 11ish. I do think a few does are in now.

Sligh1 likes this.
  7. Bowfisher

Bowfisher Active Member

Judging from the text messages I have been getting from buddies that are hunting this morning while I work, sounds like day movement is picking up from the last few days. A giant may have died this morning, waiting on pictures ;-)

Sligh1 likes this.
  8. Ishi

Ishi Turkey Time

I moved about 15 miles from yesterday. There was two separate chases in the same valley at the same time and they were chasing hard. The bucks were grunting and some were snorting with every stride. One buck was making noises and growls like the Sith Lord.

11 bucks so far.

Wapsi Tree, Rjack and Bowfisher like this.
  9. 2-bucks

2-bucks PMA Member

Still slow by me in SE Iowa. Zero so far today. My back needs a break too! Watched a couple does on a food plot last two nights and nothing was interested.

Bowfisher likes this.
  10. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

I hunted until noon on Monday with pretty good deer movement most of the time. Had a real pretty 8 point cruising around 8am then a nice 10 behind a doe at 9. I hunted all day yesterday in big hardwoods and it was slower than I would have thought. Not much at all for cruising bucks but did see that same nice 8 from the day before with some does around 1:45pm.

I'm in the same boat as a few of you guys. For me, I tend to see younger bucks making the rounds the first week of November and the last 5 years or so I've been liking the second and third week of November better. Good luck everyone!

Ried#3 likes this.
  11. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Very active in Minnesota this morning. 17 deer, 7 bucks, 1 shooter (100 yds out) hope to get him this afternoon... fun !!

Ried#3 likes this.
  12. SeIowa69

SeIowa69 Active Member

I’ve basically hunted since 830 (took half hour to eat no drive to next place) n I haven’t even seen a deer apparently I lied yesterday the 2 days prior I had bucks chasein does all over Idk what’s going on today but the wind changed so I had to move property’s here’s goes nothing!!

13. hornhntr

hornhntr Member

SW Iowa slow this am with 2 bucks (1 young and 1 older) and a doe and 2 fawns. Wind changed and has picked up. Going to an observation stand as I still haven't seen a buck I want to shoot yet.

smithhunter1975 likes this.
  14. Wapsi Tree

Wapsi Tree Well-Known Member

I had an odd hunt this morning. First light revealed a forky, a pair of 3 yr olds and a 5 yr old 12 pt stud..8" split brows, all of them mingling together around one doe. There was some pushing and shoving, but no all out brawl. I was watching the group in open alfalfa from 120 yds , and THREE HOURS LATER they had moved MAYBE 100 yds! Then around 915 for no apparent reason, like a woman late for a hair appointment, the doe bolted away across the open field. The 3 bigger bucks followed close while the forky just stared. Through the binoculars I swear he shed a tear. I've never seen anything quite so weird on Nov 6th.. Forky wandered off. I crawled down and rubbed my head on a tree for a bit and then went to work.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  15. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Saw three really nice bucks this morning and a bunch of forks. Not one doe. Bucks were cruising. They took a trail downwind and exited the area. I’m still learning the travel routes on my place. Good lessons learned this morning.

Daver and 203ntyp like this.
  16. RinggoCy

RinggoCy Member

Hunted this morning, froze my tail off. Had a 3 y.o. 10 that I haven't seen before cruise by just before 9, then again an hour later. And that was it. Got out of the tree at 11:30 because we had to work cattle this afternoon. Kinda scratched my head all the way back to the truck wondering where all the deer were. Decided to take a drive around the section and saw a good buck with his head to the ground zigging and zagging across the CRP. Thought that was a positive development.

We didn't finish up with calves until late this afternoon so didn't go sit but did go for a drive. Bucks EVERYWHERE. Couple of them were mature. Chasing. The works. I think a switch has flipped.

Daver likes this.
  17. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Doe in the backyard trying to hide from bucks.

Daver and Wapsi Tree like this.
  18. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Not your wife I hope? :)

19. Ishi

Ishi Turkey Time

I didn’t see squat yesterday only 3 doe after 9 hours in the stand. My buddy only seen 2 doe:confused: Typical feast or famine saga of the rut. Today has to be better...

Bowfisher and hillrunner like this.
  20. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Nope.

Dogs been going nuts after dark with the deer cruising by.

Daver likes this.
  21. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Daylight to dark sit yesterday. 5 buck sightings - 4 different bucks. Nothing to get excited over.