RUT ACTIVITY UPDATES?

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sligh1, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Justin Johnson

Justin Johnson New Member

Muscatine County here. 2 bucks have passed with their tongues out & heads down. Turned them both with contact grunts. Would’ve shot the 1st; he was a heavy bodied 8 I’ve seen before, but he didn’t present a shot. 2nd was a lil scrapper. Good movement, let’s hope it continues with my hit list buck next!

Ried#3 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. kelcher

kelcher Active Member

Last night was the first night in a long time that I was a little nervous getting out of the stand. Had three basket racks running back and forth like crazy. I didn't want to be mistaken for a lady in the darkness. . .

4. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

Been a slow year in PA as well. I run cams year round and this year buck pics were almost nonexistent. There's usually one mature buck showing up every year but not this year. Only seen a couple dinks cruising until today, the biggest buck around my hunting area was sniffing around in my back yard this morning at 10:00 am. Only in the 120's and looks to be a 3 year old, he showed up in mid October as they usually do every year. I think he's between does now but still close by.

5. lunker99

lunker99 Active Member

Last 3 sits there's been yearlings by themselves looking lost. Must be some breeding going on now. Bucks still out cruising/chasing though. Cameras showed quite a bit of 12-2 activity last few days.

6. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

Got home from Van Buren last night after hunting 3.5 days. Choked a chip shot on a 170+ at 9:30 Saturday morning. He was cruising by himself and caught me by complete surprise. Smacked a 150+ in the shoulder first thing yesterday morning. Knew he would live right away and jumped him 50 yards from last blood when we were tracking 4 hours later. He took off no worse for ware. Came home to lick my wounds. Yesterdays buck came in following 2 doe not chasing or anything just following along. I did come across a mature buck bedded with doe in CRP. Stalked them to 10 yards hoping I would see blood but none so I passed.

One of my buddy's did watch a doe let a dink buck mount her after hard chasing Saturday night.. Saw plenty of doe with fawns and some lone fawns. Lots of does split up and hiding in thick CRP.

I think most does will be coming into season in the next couple days as usual.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    IowaBowHunter1983 and cybball like this.
  7. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Good gosh it’s cold!! Not one of the smartest things I have done in my life to go hunting today. Nothing seen this morning and not sure if I’ll hunt this afternoon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daver, Bowfisher and Wapsi Tree like this.
  8. Bowfisher

Bowfisher Active Member

Had two monsters (150" & 170") at 80 yards yesterday. BOTH with a doe and would not leave her for anything. Awesome evening and had quite the show the entire time I sat.

9. Wapsi Tree

Wapsi Tree Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had a big enough pair to go sit in a tree this morning. Figures it'd be you! :)

Count me out, I'm not man enough!

Bowfisher likes this.
  10. Bowfisher

Bowfisher Active Member

I have a buddy that is out as well. BRRR!

11. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

Terrible cold up here in MN (record) ... just think how cold it’d be without global warming!!:cool:

Daver and Wapsi Tree like this.
  12. bkcrrtnps

bkcrrtnps Well-Known Member

Tomorrow even colder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Daver

Daver PMA Member

One of the "all time" great hunts of my life occurred many years ago now, as a bitter, early cold spell thawed out fast on a big warmup one fine day.

If we get a real nice warmup one of these upcoming days, I think it could be stellar in the stand. Watch for that gentlemen. Plus, if you have been tough enough to hunt these cold days, a "warm" will feel great out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cybball likes this.
  14. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

What is the latest guys? I'm heading to extreme North MO for Saturday's gun opener. My brother has been bowhunting and it's been mostly slow......and frigid.

15. kelcher

kelcher Active Member

It is hopping this morning in Benton County. Had three buck from 130-140's grunting and following from 8:30-9:30.

Daver likes this.
  16. EVIL X

EVIL X Member

Best "rut" action ive had by far this year. Deer have been moving from sunrise till current. Past 2 weeks have been slow. Seems like its finally getting good around my little farm.

17. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Active Member

Good as in most does are bred and bucks are starting the search for the remainders the way it looks to me, thoughts? Does are grouping back up and bucks have started to pass up chasing the ones that have been bred.

18. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

My area used to see deer running crossing roads at night. Whole month of November driving from Abington to Eldon roads almost completely empty.

19. 2-bucks

2-bucks PMA Member

Slow on my place in SE Iowa. Sat in River bottom down wind of bedding and saw two lone does and one forky. Saw a 3yr old following two does when moving spots. Now on a food plot with a doe decoy until dark.

20. Wapsi Tree

Wapsi Tree Well-Known Member

So did you hunt tonight?... or watch the Iowa Minnesota game. Not sure I saw it correctly. What was that final score? ;)

EatSleepHunt likes this.
  21. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

We lost, but I think we have a better record!!

bkcrrtnps likes this.