Rye,OATS,,Wheat ?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by loneranger, Sep 15, 2019.

1. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

I tilled up a plot before last Sat,. Very dry ground. There was some moisture 8 inches down. I raked seed in Sat EVE, I bought from the seed guy at IA-MO hybrids in Keo. A mix rye oats winter wheat. Used a spreader then raked it in, That night I received an inch of rain on it. Last week seems only the rye emerged. The top few inches did begein to day out again past week. I am wondering if the Oats and wheat were just slow or did they dry out ? Thought I'd see all of it by nnow. Last night I was lucky enough to get close to another inch on it. Ya think more will emerge or should I get more oats and sow in and wait for another rain? Thanks

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Matthewfox_45

Matthewfox_45 Member

It’s only been a week. Patience grasshopper!

Sligh1 likes this.
  4. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

Yea just thought oats and winter wheat were faster . Especially with the upper 80s Summer temps we’ve been having.

5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

U sure certain types didn’t germinate? I bet they did. But they will if not.

6. Matthewfox_45

Matthewfox_45 Member

We use Rye, oats, clover, and peas and it is the most bulletproof combination as far a germination and growth. Report back with pics next Sunday. I bet you’ll be happy with your results.

7. Wi transplant

Wi transplant PMA Member

If not thick enough in a week or so you can overseed more rye right on top the ground and just leave it will do the rest ! No need to rake in !

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk