Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sabot Question...

NWBuck,

I read the same "Gun No Go Boom" article.
I have never had sabot failure in late season. Best advise I can offer is for you to degrease your trigger and the plunger spring. I use brake cleaner. The author most likly has as much time with an In line as anybody so I dont dought it can happen in super hot temp.

Good Luck

HBH

On the topic os sabots. Just ask Jim shockey on the matter. He was hunting a world record moose and he had a 75 yard shot and when he pulled the trigger the sabot exploded missing the moose by 15 yards to the left.

I don't know anything about this subject, but I would think that now being as cold as it is would be a great time to run some practice shots through the gun.

With the introduction of 150gr. guns and gun makers attempting to sell guns by claiming high speed Im suspect that bullets intended for pistol velosities (like 44's) are being pushed to the limit and beyond when shot over three pyrodex pellets.
Don't buy into everything you read. Those high price "custom" bullet companies are being presented to you on a golden chariot. Writers are pandering to manufacturers on most issues. (how many time have you read a bad review? How many times have you been sold junk?)

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 12-13-2000).]

Scout,
You bring up good points, and thanks for the input. I do shoot 150 grains of Pyrodex with a 240 grain sabot. If the extreme cold continues, do you think it might be wise to back off to 100 grains? Thanks.

I will be heading out next week with a new .45 cal. Knight, using 150 grains of pyrodex and a 175 grain bullet. Has anyone used this new gun on deer? What were the results. They advertise using a 150 grain bullet, but I think that that is just too light. I have also heard of unstability problems at longer ranges due to the speed of the bullet, advertised at about 2500 fps+. Any input would be appreciated.

I am trying to get a new .50 Knight Disc rifle to print good groups. I have found out that Hornady's bullets (or the vast majority) have a peak velocity of around 1900 f.p.s. (Hornady makes a magnum XTP bullet, but I could only find it in 300 gr.) My Disc rifle is capable of shooting beyond 2000 f.p.s. with 150 gr. of pellets. The Hornady's tend to open up before impact and tumble when shot from a rifle with a velocity higher than 1900. I am heading out again this weekend to shoot Knight's Red Hot Bullets. These bullets are made by Barnes specifically for Knight. They cost anywhere from $1.50 to $1.90 each, in packages of 10. Expensive, but seem to group well. Or at least they did with my other rifle. Barnes guarantees their bullets at velocities over 3000 f.p.s.
Knight also suggests to start with 100 gr. of pellets, shoot a group of three, then increase the powder charge by increments of 10 gr., shoot another group of three, etc. until you reach 150 gr. pellet charge. Then pull your targets and measure your groups. If you don't like any of the groups, change the bullet weight. Alot of work, and shots, but maybe worth the effort. This is the same procedure most people follow when reloading rifle cartridges and it should have the same results.
I haven't noticed any problems with sabots, but I did notice that Knight Red Hot bullets package says, with new high velocity design, for what that's worth.

See what I mean about the Custom bullet thing?
I've shot Rem. 240gr. semi-jacketed flat pionts with T/C Break-o-way sabots over 100gr charge. I really like this sabot! with its two part design it comes off clean and fast. I typically find it 1/2 the distance from the gun as the green Hornadys. The "gas check" wad is a good thing. They seem to seal great. The full plastic type left alot of plastic in the bore. Not so with the T/C's.

Top Bottom