Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saddle Hunting

I visited the Tetherd website. I watched a couple of youtube videos about saddle setup. For the distances I have to get to a tree, figure my LW Apha and sticks are fine for me. If I packed deep into public, the saddle might be an advantage. Pretty good chunk of change to buy this setup.

I visited the Tetherd website. I watched a couple of youtube videos about saddle setup. For the distances I have to get to a tree, figure my LW Apha and sticks are fine for me. If I packed deep into public, the saddle might be an advantage. Pretty good chunk of change to buy this setup.
The market for saddle gear is hot so the prices are reflecting the demand imo. To get a saddle, platform and accessories you're looking at easily $500+ if you buy everything off their site. Plus sticks if a guy doesn't have a lightweight set. That's a grip of money, but lone wolf custom gear will run you a grand for stand and sticks. Is a saddle setup worth the money for everyone? Maybe, maybe not. Guys will spend much more than that for a box blind that they'll sit in a dozen times a year, so it's all dependent on your hunting style. Situation dictates gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

what are the advantages of saddle hunting over say climbing sticks and a hang on? Also doesn't the tether coming up the middle of your front get in the way of shooting a bow? And if you need a platform, why not just hang a hang-on stand? Not knocking it, but from all limited research i have done, lets say 5 minutes of videos and gear, it doesn't look more advantageous

I’m guessing that you limit your profile in the saddle, able to hug the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are the advantages of saddle hunting over say climbing sticks and a hang on? Also doesn't the tether coming up the middle of your front get in the way of shooting a bow? And if you need a platform, why not just hang a hang-on stand? Not knocking it, but from all limited research i have done, lets say 5 minutes of videos and gear, it doesn't look more advantageous

Read my post on the first page in regards to several of the biggest and most important advantages to using a saddle vs. hang on stand. Couple of the biggest advantages being.......ability to set up in almost any situation and tree (there are explicit reasons for that) vs. a hang on stand which has definite limitations. Anyone who has quite abit of experience in the woods pursuing whitetails knows full well how important it is to set up in the "right spot" and not just settle for a spot because you found a tree that works for a hang on. This factor alone is even more critical for a hunter looking to put an arrow thru an older buck. Mature bucks tend to be very selective on where they will travel in day light shooting hours. Typically these areas are obscure and hard to hunt to begin with. Therefore being able to set up in the exact best spot to give yourself a little more of an advantage at getting a shot at him can make or break everything. IMO and experience, all of this is a MAJOR advantage for my style of hunting. I rarely hunt the same exact tree more than 2-3 times per season and I bow hunt hard October 1st into December. My style of bow hunting is run and gun and extremely mobile. Could care less about big tower blind hunting or sitting the same 3-4 treestands on one property the entire season. I mix up an entire season between public and private ground, and I'm extremely cautious about over hunting an area. Therefore saddle hunting with some extremely lightweight climbing sticks along with aiders allows me the most efficient and functional way to hunt this style. Once again there is more than one way to skin a cat just as there is more than one way to hunt deer.

The market for saddle gear is hot so the prices are reflecting the demand imo. To get a saddle, platform and accessories you're looking at easily $500+ if you buy everything off their site. Plus sticks if a guy doesn't have a lightweight set. That's a grip of money, but lone wolf custom gear will run you a grand for stand and sticks. Is a saddle setup worth the money for everyone? Maybe, maybe not. Guys will spend much more than that for a box blind that they'll sit in a dozen times a year, so it's all dependent on your hunting style. Situation dictates gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

True, I bought the full Tethrd phantom set up and then 4 Helium sticks. I happened to get super lucky and when I purchased both, both companies were having a sale so I saved about $180 total. The route I went is about $1000 without those sales. Sound very pricy, but I considered the fact that my 10 or so cheap stands from Menards that I've used for about 10 years really all could be replaced and several will creek and pop when it gets colder I thought it was a good investment. Even buying cheap stands and sticks if you have 10 or so like me you are going to spend nearly a grand anyhow, plus now I don't have to go out a preset stands or move stuff around. And yeah, if you want to talk pricey, I can't believe how much some box blinds cost, some being several thousand dollars. I'm sure I will still hunt some of my hang-ons, but i'm very excited to try saddle hunting this year. Who knows, maybe it wont be that great, but with so many people raving about how good it is and the advantages I want to try it out.

You can definitely go cheaper, but I am not much of a DIY guy when it comes to gear, plus spending a little extra is good peace of mind to me to know that I have quality gear that I can trust compared to a lot of guys making their own straps, ropes, and just overall mix matching a bunch of stuff and worrying if it will be comfortable or if it will work or what the weight bearing strength of everything is. That works if you know what you are doing, just for me I know I would struggle with that and easier to just spend a little more and be done with it and know what I have will work.

thanks for the reply. Definitely interesting way to hunt. Just doesn't seem like something i would want to try. It looks like an uncomfortable way to shoot around a tree and your harness but without having tried it myself i can't knock it. Good luck all

I regularly see guys on here throughout the years that freeze there ass off come late november. I have the 1000 dollar Sitka gear and multiple layers - it doesnt matter , come when it dips in the 20s I still get chilly after a while and something bothers me , toes fingers or just cold in general. . I fully prefer the HBS as it eliminates all those problems over putting on 15 minutes of layers . What do you guys do that run this saddle system ? Its got to be a pain come late season dont it ? A HBS is basically impossible in it isnt it ?

I regularly see guys on here throughout the years that freeze there ass off come late november. I have the 1000 dollar Sitka gear and multiple layers - it doesnt matter , come when it dips in the 20s I still get chilly after a while and something bothers me , toes fingers or just cold in general. . I fully prefer the HBS as it eliminates all those problems over putting on 15 minutes of layers . What do you guys do that run this saddle system ? Its got to be a pain come late season dont it ? A HBS is basically impossible in it isnt it ?

That's one of my worries with it, guess I will find out. My toes absolutely kill me when it gets under 35 degrees, its maddening. I have tried everything to keep my feet warm other than an HBS or IWOM. I have put antiperspirants on my feet, layered socks, light socks, heavy sock, change socks on the stand, gotten looser boots, sticky heat packets, loose heat packets, insulated after market soles, zip tied carpet to the floor of my stand, wiggle toes, set one foot on top of the other etc. I don't know why, but it is a huge problem and I can't fix it. I'm good about everywhere else on my body, but its an absolute physical and mental grind that gets harder every year to put up with dealing with my toes.

That's one of my worries with it, guess I will find out. My toes absolutely kill me when it gets under 35 degrees, its maddening. I have tried everything to keep my feet warm other than an HBS or IWOM. I have put antiperspirants on my feet, layered socks, light socks, heavy sock, change socks on the stand, gotten looser boots, sticky heat packets, loose heat packets, insulated after market soles, zip tied carpet to the floor of my stand, wiggle toes, set one foot on top of the other etc. I don't know why, but it is a huge problem and I can't fix it. I'm good about everywhere else on my body, but its an absolute physical and mental grind that gets harder every year to put up with dealing with my toes.

Cabelas Saskatchewan Pac Boots completely solved that problem for me. I’ve had 3 buddies wear them & every single one has bought their own pair.

Artic sheild boot warmers. Through in hand warmer on really cold days. Problem solved

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you look on TNDEER.com website you'll find some information on them. Alot of those guys use and they discuss the brands also.

Artic sheild boot warmers. Through in hand warmer on really cold days. Problem solved

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That's one thing I left out of rambling, I got a pair last year, they helped for sure, but feet still go numb.

My feet sweat like crazy when wearing LaCrosse boots, which would cause my feet to freeze when sitting in the stand. This past year I put on a thin liner sock, then a plastic bag and then put my wool sock over the that. I found out that my foot would still sweat, but the plastic bag kept my wool sock and inside of the boot from getting soaked with sweat. My feet would have the clamy feeling but they did not freeze like before.

Jared

My feet sweat like crazy when wearing LaCrosse boots, which would cause my feet to freeze when sitting in the stand. This past year I put on a thin liner sock, then a plastic bag and then put my wool sock over the that. I found out that my foot would still sweat, but the plastic bag kept my wool sock and inside of the boot from getting soaked with sweat. My feet would have the clamy feeling but they did not freeze like before.

Jared
plastic bag, I will need to remember this

Top Bottom