Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sand Creek State Park

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience or heard anything about hunting Sand Creek State park. I have access to a friends cabin at Sun Valley Lake and saw online this was open to public to hunt. I have driven by it and dont ever see much traffic. If anyone has any information or advice please let me know.

Thanks

HAPPY HUNTING

I have never hunted it, but have a farm not too far away. It it known to be pretty good, from what I hear.

hardwood11,

Thanks for the reply. My friend also has a farm near the state park. Do you know if it gets hunted much? I thought you might have a better idea than most, since you have a farm near the area.

Again, Thanks for the help.

I really don't know. Just off hand, I've heard a few comments from others, saying it is nice stuff and they go kind of off the beaten path during the rut, and try to sit all day. It is a pretty big chunk of ground.

I grew up a few miles west of Sand Creek. I've tromped miles and miles and miles of Sand Creek and haven't even gotten close to covering every inch of that place. Wild country, that much is for certain.

I've never bow hunted it before. Sat on some of it once during late muzzleloader season once but it's no good that time of year IMO. After the gun seasons, it's been pressured too much and most of the deer have moved onto private property surrounding Sand Creek. During bow season, it seems like the few times I've driven through on that main road, there is a vehicle parked in almost every field entry. Might be better during the week but weekends it seems like there is a decent number of people hunting it. Then again, there's a couple thousand acres there so I suppose it probably isn't as bad as it seems.

I would guess there are some mighty big deer running around in there before about the first week of December. But once the orange has been out a few days, good luck.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience or heard anything about hunting Sand Creek State park. I have access to a friends cabin at Sun Valley Lake and saw online this was open to public to hunt. I have driven by it and dont ever see much traffic. If anyone has any information or advice please let me know.

Thanks

HAPPY HUNTING

Are you the actual Tanner Weatherman of ISU wrestling fame? If so, we sort of met one time several years ago. :D My oldest son wrestled while growing up and met up with a pretty salty young wrestler named Tanner Weatherman from the Ballard area in Jr. High States at the old Vet's Coliseum. If I recall...it was a pretty close match right up until the ref blew the whistle to start the match!! :eek: Then it was all Mr. Weatherman from there on in! :D

Our "meeting" then would have consisted of you trotting over to our corner after the match to shake our hand in a show of sportsmanship.

Are you the actual Tanner Weatherman of ISU wrestling fame? If so, we sort of met one time several years ago. :D My oldest son wrestled while growing up and met up with a pretty salty young wrestler named Tanner Weatherman from the Ballard area in Jr. High States at the old Vet's Coliseum. If I recall...it was a pretty close match right up until the ref blew the whistle to start the match!! :eek: Then it was all Mr. Weatherman from there on in! :D

Our "meeting" then would have consisted of you trotting over to our corner after the match to shake our hand in a show of sportsmanship.
I was wondering the same thing when I saw the name. Either way welcome to site.

Bow hunting during the week sees some less traffic, since you are local take the time to go down and walk it. It is a good area and if you want to take the time to go in deep where most people are to lazy you can have some luck. Be ready for crossing some deep ravines and getting in a good workout.

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice and info on Sand Creek.

Daver and bigbuckhunter88- I am in fact the same Tanner Weatherman that wrestled for Ballard and ISU. I finally have enough free time during the Fall/Winter to do some hunting that Ive missed out on for the last 10 years. Sorry about the experience at Vets. Haha.

PS: I never even thought about making a user ID that isnt my actual name. But I suppose I have nothing to hide.
Nice to be on the site, and again thanks for the info.

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice and info on Sand Creek.

Daver and bigbuckhunter88- I am in fact the same Tanner Weatherman that wrestled for Ballard and ISU. I finally have enough free time during the Fall/Winter to do some hunting that Ive missed out on for the last 10 years. Sorry about the experience at Vets. Haha.

PS: I never even thought about making a user ID that isnt my actual name. But I suppose I have nothing to hide.
Nice to be on the site, and again thanks for the info.

Well it is nice to make your acquaintance...again. :D Good luck hunting and welcome to the site.

Nice to see another fellow wrestling fan and hunter on the site.

Another quick question for this thread. Does anyone know or have experience with hanging stands and leaving them on this park? I was thinking if I did my homework by scouting and walking the timber, to possible setup a stand and chain it.
Have you guys seen many stands, tree steps, cameras, etc in this property?

Thanks guys

I can't speak for that piece of ground. But I'd strongly consider a climber or stand and sticks. Main reason being is to not make your presence known for other hunters. People can and probably will sit your stand on public, I don't condone it but the law is the law. While you're letting it rest and waiting for the right wind and conditions, someone else could be sitting it and ruining the spot. Also people walking through scouting or trailing a deer might not pick up that it's a good, but if they see a stand that may peak their interest. That is just my perspective however....
Go Hawks:)

Can't speak from experience at Sand Creek, but as a public land hunter in Iowa I guarantee there are big deer in there and unpressurized areas if you scout. Any place that big is bound to have a bunch of pressure in obvious spots though. A funnel or feature that can be easily seen on the topo map will be hunted hard. My advice, go shed hunting there while last years sign is still fresh. Drop pins at places that look good and go in the thickest, hilliest stuff there, also take note of old decrepit stands; those old timers put them there for a reason in most cases. I like parking lots on public where the immediate area is super hilly or super wet; most guys are turned off by the additional work and you can sometimes locate a honey hole, extremely close to a road/parking.

Hi All,

Thanks

HAPPY HUNTING
I hunt near Sand Creek. The south end gets a lot of traffic from bird hunters and bow hunters and it's over run during shotgun season. Cant imagine a mature deer living on that part of the park. Can't speak with any knowledge regarding the rest of it.

I've killed several does there during late season hunts and have had success turkey hunting in the spring but have never bow hunted there. Like has been said you're going to have a lot of competition on any public land during bow season so your best bet is to find some pockets that might be overlooked.

Top Bottom