Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Adsorbing Clothing

Shredder

Life Member
I just want to get other peoples opinions on how well these scent suits are working for them. I have used them the last 4 seasons and have drawn my own conclusions as to their efficacy in stopping odor.

This is what I have concluded. I think they work fine in most situations but
1. the outer fabric needs descenting before it will work and the reactivation in the dryer does nothing to help with this.
2. If a deer is looking for you (after a rattleing sequence), he will find you sooner or later despite your best efforts.
3. They do not work if you sweat through the material
4. Carbon has its own smell and the deer are becoming accustomed to this scent.
5. It need to be reactivated sooner than every three weeks.

Anyways, I could go on and on but want to hear what some of the other avid trophy hunters have to say about it.

Shredder220

Shredder220, I agree with your conclusions. I think they work very well but definatley need to be reactivated often. I spray mine down with scentaway and toss them in the dryer after each use. If it's warm and I got real hot I don't hesitate to wash them. I think they are a real asset in your hunting arsenal.

They are not magic, but I feel less confident without my Supprescent suit on.

I believe they work but are not a cure all. You must be clean and your other clothes must be clean also. Now, if a person can play the wind correctly you can smell like a choad and still kill a monster buck. I knew guys back in high school who would work in garages and hit the timber for a hour after work in their work coveralls smelling like grease, gas, and worse. They managed to kill deer every year. Now in situations where you have to take a chance the scent free products can make a difference. I believe in showering before every hunt, washing my clothes in fragrance free detergant, spraying my stuff with a scent away spray, AND wearing cover scent. Does all this crap help me?? Yes, I think it does, it gives me my own mental edge over the animals I'm after.

To each their own in this situation. There have been times when I wasn't busted when I could smell my own armpits and there have been times when I was busted and I would've thought I was in perfect. That's why it's called hunting I guess.

Just FYI, I think Supprescent is the best stuff out there. They don't glue their carbon fibers or grains into the garments.

I wonder how the American Indians hunted without scent lok, scent spray, anti scent soap, anti scent shampoo and rubber boots? Watch the wind and break that vertical human form.

Headgear,
I'm with you on the stink that comes from our mouths. I do own a scent-loc suit but if I was on a limited budget I would put out 15 to 20 bucks on one of them surgical masks with scent-loc in it. I just pull mine out of the way when I think I might get a shot.

I too belive that our breath is a major factor when it comes to scent control. There is a product that I use called Vanishing Hunter, I'm sure some of you have heard of it. It's a scent eliminating spray that you can use in your mouth. I've been using it for the last 4 seasons & swear by it. I took 5 buck & two doe, 4 of the buck & 1 of the does were dirrectly down wind when I harvested them.

I started wearing a Scent Lok liner last year as an extra precaution but have had good success using the scent eliminating spray, keeping my clothing scent free & wearing knee high rubber boots.

Here's proof.

I do not own any of the carbon products. I do own a pair of long john type undergarments that have a deodorant built into the fabric. Does it help? Couldn't tell you. I have had deer bust me when they should have and I have had deer not bust me when they should have. I think the key to being scent free is washing your clothes in scent free soap and taking a shower in scent free soap before you go out. I'm not saying the carbon stuff doesn't work but if you don't take care of these things first it doesn't matter what you put on over the smell. The two hardest things I think to cover up (unless it is hot and you are sweating) is your breath and your hair. The scent free suits don't help much with this although there are bulky products out there for this. I won't wear products for my head because I think it will screw up my shot. It's probably all mental but that is enough.

I know Scent Blocker has come up with a solution for washing the outside without over washing the inside carbon lining. Many of the new suits from ScentShield have a zip out carbon lining that lets you take off the outside camo layer to wash it as often as you like and only wash the inside carbon when needed.

I use a ScentBlocker 3D suit everytime I hunt as I feel it works (and certainly can't hurt). Many will tell you to "hunt the wind" and you don't need a ScentSuit but most of the areas I hunt, the deer can literally come at me from all points on the compass. Sure, I watch the wind to help pick the proper stand for the day but I still get plenty of deer that don't "play by the rules" and come in from behind me. That is when the suit will help you out. I also feel that it is only a small part of a scent-free regimine that includes rubber boots put on in the field and not worn anywhere but while out hunting, bathing with scent-free soaps and shampoos, spraying down with scent-eliminators, and much more. Maybe all of this is not necessary to hunt 95% of the deer out there but I like to think that I am hunting the top 5% and take every precaution I can. You'll probably never know when improper scent control gets you busted by the big boy but I can guess that you'll never see him in that neighborhood again.

Top Bottom