Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scrapes

G

I found a scrape the other day. Is it true that a dominate buck will scrape early? This was just a single scrape but I have found scrape lines this early before and was just wondering what everyone thought.

You have to ask the deer.

I saw an area last friday that was litterally just tore up with scrapes & rubs. My opinion based on experience in that area makes me feel it is young boys doing it.

However sometimes I think the older guys may do something that triggers the teenagers into getting overanxious. There is a perrenial scrape in one area that I hunt that was disturbed by the farmer expanding his field this spring. The over hanging large tree limb (licking branch) was removed and the corn field planted over top of the previously grassy area. Low and behold there currently is a scrape in the exact same spot on the ground 4 rows into the corn. Now someone had to remember from last year where that scrape had been.?

I shot a mature buck running a scrape line on October 12th one year. Don't overlook anything. Some deer do not read the same articles as we do.

Get out there and have fun! At least feed them poor mosquitoes!

From 1990 - 1994 I hunted a mature buck that was always making scrapes by the opener. The area was small and it surrounded a hay field. He would have a scrape on all 4 corners and really had rubs and scrapes along a North/South fence on the way to the creek. I truly believe a mature/dominant animal will have an area marked by October.

Just my thoughts,

tlhs.jpg

i am pretty sure that the whitetail species is the same everywhere (note, species not sub species), but in mississippi where i do some hunting i have been finding this one area in particular that has 6 scrapes whithin a 50 yard radius worked all year long. thats is acutually the best scrape sign i have ever seen. is that normal or abnormal? i don't know.

Mr. Ozoga's studies confirm that most early scrapes and rubs are made by mature bucks trying to establish dominance. Younger bucks may not start until mid October, especially if influnced by mature bucks in the area.
Of course there is always the one's that break the "rules". Like the little buck on a video that tore up a sizable tree - had I seen only the tree, I would have thought - Hey, the "big one" has been here!

Cold weather due this weekend! Ya Hoo!!
PLK

Hey, you guys have hit the nail on the head on this one! I have witnessed many early scrapes and large rubs in the past and in many of the cases, it turned out to be Grandpa Buck! Couldn't agree with all of your opinions more! Maybe this cold weather will get Grandpa Buck out of bed!

This year, I have seen a bunch more scrapes/rubs than previous years. I hope this is a good omen!

PS...One rub on a tree as big around as my body!

Top Bottom