Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Screening trees

Daver - on the smaller trees, 18" and under, I shook the dirt back into the hole and planted them bareroot. The larger trees (3-5ft) I was taking a rootball about the size of a basketball and just leaving a hole in the ground for mother nature to fill in eventually. I was hesitant to see if those larger trees would make it but everyone of them did!

Ahaa....I would not have thought that a bareroot approach would work...interesting. I suppose as long as you replanted right away and didn't let the roots get dry that it would make sense.

Thanks, I might try that myself.

You're right about keeping roots moist. You can fit a fair batch of smaller ones in a couple 5 gal. buckets of water (or a trashcan), or wrap the roots in wet burlap. Get them back in the ground in short order & water them in well if the ground isn't moist. Cedars are tough!

Bringing an old one back up here guys....Can any of you that did the transplanting of larger trees give me an idea on the success rate? I am talking 3' to 4'....Did they grow well this year if transplanted in the spring?

Or would you guys with experience believe that smaller bare root trees would be a better option?

With these trees my plan is to screen a road on a new property I bought this fall, the ditch is already pretty brushy in most areas but does need some work. Thanks in advance fellas, I can't wait to take on some projects at the farm and see where it takes us.

Bringing an old one back up here guys....Can any of you that did the transplanting of larger trees give me an idea on the success rate? I am talking 3' to 4'....Did they grow well this year if transplanted in the spring?

Or would you guys with experience believe that smaller bare root trees would be a better option?

With these trees my plan is to screen a road on a new property I bought this fall, the ditch is already pretty brushy in most areas but does need some work. Thanks in advance fellas, I can't wait to take on some projects at the farm and see where it takes us.

100℅ survival on cedars. Mostly 12-36" variety but plenty of 36-48" mixed in. They are hard to kill really. They will not grow much at all the first year after moving. They put all their energy into reestablishing themselves. After the first year, they will take off. Forester told me 12" per year was about average.

Two companies in MN, sell red cedar plugs...easy to plant and great survival. You get a plug tool, and you can plant 500 in 2-3 hours

I'm starting a side business for this same reason, I wanted to move a lot of trees to our property lines and for habitat like shelter belts for birds so I bought a 48" tree spade. I can move roughly an 8' red cedar and 6 trees at a time. I have access to a lot of Red Cedar in varying heights, 3 species of Oaks, limited White Pine, limited White Spruce and a limited quantity of Bald Cypress.
I'm located in SE Iowa and can be contacted through our Facebook page Tippecanoe Tree Company.

TreeSpade2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm starting a side business for this same reason, I wanted to move a lot of trees to our property lines and for habitat like shelter belts for birds so I bought a 48" tree spade. I can move roughly an 8' red cedar and 6 trees at a time. I have access to a lot of Red Cedar in varying heights, 3 species of Oaks, limited White Pine, limited White Spruce and a limited quantity of Bald Cypress.
I'm located in SE Iowa and can be contacted through our Facebook page Tippecanoe Tree Company.

View attachment 113594
I like it! I have one for my skid steer and one for my big tractor that can move some monsters. I just use em for my own farms but holy cow do I get everyone asking to "rent" "borrow" "hire" but I can't even get my own stuff done. Instant screen that's for sure.
Where u at and what u charge ? Sweet rig!

There has to be a market for it. I tried like hell to find someone to move cedar trees out of my CRP. Ended up cutting them down after not finding anyone. I have to believe you could do well with it. Good luck.

I like it! I have one for my skid steer and one for my big tractor that can move some monsters. I just use em for my own farms but holy cow do I get everyone asking to "rent" "borrow" "hire" but I can't even get my own stuff done. Instant screen that's for sure.
Where u at and what u charge ? Sweet rig!

I'm located by Mt. Pleasant, Ia but will travel some and price varies per job, travel time, etc but local stuff starts around $100/hour.

That's a good deal for anyone. Spades are amazing and saves a ton of time and work. Just so u all understand- say u wanted cedars for example (my screen choice). I'd bet that what would take 20 hours or $2k from above- I bet it would take a guy a day or 2 of work planting small trees (and cost of trees & equipment) weed control for couple years and overall probably be 8-10 years before u caught up with the spade. Spading is the bomb!! It can be tricky with finding supply trees, time & distance but it's pretty amazing stuff.

Thank you guys for all of your input on the topic, some great points. I am going to do some thinking and find out what option will work best for this particular farm.

I look forward to the projects and documenting the work for the guys here at the site to follow along.

Good luck to all this late season.

Another question....I have searched the site for info on Miscanthus Giganteus grass as I thought there was once a thread on it but no luck.

Do any of you guys have experience on planting this stuff? It seems like a solid idea on paper but would like 1st hand experience. As always, thanks for your input.

Go to Wildlife Management and at the top click on dbltree's corner. I have planted some every year for quite awhile. Think I'm caught up this year. Probably not.

Go to Big Rock Trees and buy the cuttings. Easy and they really take off. Don't think he is taking orders yet but will be coming up.

What I do if I am digging cedars where i need to fill in is I fill up 5 gal buckets with dirt.Usually ever how many I think I will dig and then use that dirt to fill hole after digging seedling.I put that seedling in bucket to keep air off roots then transplant.I have moved them about anytime the ground isn't frozen.I also have worked out a deal with a guy that has a tree spade to pay by the hour and was able to move some ERC that were in the wrong places to areas I wanted.These were around 6 ft tall.

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Top Bottom