Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

sd card reader

KnuckleDragr

Here's my deal:

I usually head to my hunting spot in early Nov. and stay for a week or better. I have brought my laptop with me in the past to look at trail cam photos as soon as I get there. My wife doesn't want to be without a computer for that long at home so I need to view my cards in another way. I dont want to buy a card reader with a small screen so I was wondering if anyone has tried to look at trail cam pics through a digital photo frame? Looks like I can pick one up with an 8" screen for about $45 at Best Buy. Lot cheaper than a card viewer and way bigger screen. I use 16 GB cards so I dont know if thats too much for something like this. I dont want to spend a whole lot otherwise I would just go buy another laptop. I hooked the camera up to a TV last time and it was OK but I thought I was going to wear out the button on the cam with 3000 pics. Any other ideas?

If you can find one that does sd cards it would work. The ones we have run on memory sticks.

I've used a digital photo frame to check cards before. It works ok if you are in a pinch. The only problem I had was the frame took a while when scrolling through pics. Do you guys happen to have an I pad? You can buy a card reader for that if you have one.

I just bought a Dell tablet. Latitude 10 that accepts an sd card. It was $100 off when I bought my new laptop. Normally $399. While I got it for other reasons, the card reader was a big selling point.

You can download your card to an album, delete the card, move on to the next camera. Huge screen too.

I've looked into all sorts of options for viewing cards in the field, lately I've been using my camera, (which takes forever to scroll through 1000+ pics as well) but the photo frame is a good idea. You'd think by now someone would make an SD reader adaptor for smart phones. I tried the apple SD reader on my iphone 5 but it is only recognized by ipads "even though the guy at best buy tried to tell me otherwise!"

Hp mini. 240.00 brand new on Amazon. Have a neoprene waterproof case/sleeve. Haven't found anything that compares to it. Digital cameras work fine if your only checking small quantities of photos but you start gettin into the thousands it flat out sucks scrolling through. I would imagine the digital picture frame would be slow when you started viewing large gb amounts.

I've been using my old smart phone for the last few years, works great! Just pop the cards in and out. Ask around, a lot of people just have older phones just lying around collecting dust.

... I tried the apple SD reader on my iphone 5 but it is only recognized by ipads "even though the guy at best buy tried to tell me otherwise!"

This is the exact reason I bought this Wi-Fi SD card reader.
Link

You download a free app to your iphone (or android phone, ipad, tablet, laptop, etc) and this device creates a wifi network the you connect to so you can access SD cards and USB drives.
Plus it has a 3000mAh battery so you can charge your phone if it gets low.
I've been pretty happy with it so far.

If you have an old digital camer, just throw the cards in it, and view them that way.
No reason to spend more $ :way:

If you have an old digital camer, just throw the cards in it, and view them that way.
No reason to spend more $ :way:

My digital camera won't read 16 GB cards. Plus it has a different format as I tried that when I used to use 2 GB cards.

Bow fly.. how fast can you scroll through pics with that? Just like swiping though the regular photos on your phone? I'm gonna have a few thousand to look at and hope it don't take all night.

My digital camera won't read 16 GB cards. Plus it has a different format as I tried that when I used to use 2 GB cards.

Bow fly.. how fast can you scroll through pics with that? Just like swiping though the regular photos on your phone? I'm gonna have a few thousand to look at and hope it don't take all night.

It's a just tad slower than if they are saved on your phone, maybe a second or two delay but not bad at all. Do a google search for this and/or some of the similar devices (Kingston makes one) and you'll get an idea of how well it works. One video on youtube shows three different devices streaming videos from the same reader so it can handle quite a bit.

This is basically what I use to view pictures on my droid. I just use a small usb sd card reader, insert the sd card, plug it in and broswe the pictures.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-connect-usb-storage

I've looked into all sorts of options for viewing cards in the field, lately I've been using my camera, (which takes forever to scroll through 1000+ pics as well) but the photo frame is a good idea. You'd think by now someone would make an SD reader adaptor for smart phones. I tried the apple SD reader on my iphone 5 but it is only recognized by ipads "even though the guy at best buy tried to tell me otherwise!"

I ordered the ravpower wifi hub as suggested last week and it just came to today and this thing is awesome. It's charging my phone fast and I just checked my trailcam pics on my iPhone 4S. Definitely worth the 50 bucks.

Awesome, thanks man! I have my old droid phone still so this will be a perfect cheap option!

Glad you like it, I also find it helpful to make sure I have the height I want after setting a camera. It lets me know if I need to adjust it before calling it good.

Get you own app and hire one of the top mobile app companies in the industry.

This is an old thread - but since someone already brought it up, it's funny that there is a product now that people were asking for back then.
The BONE VIEW card readers for both Android and Apple phones will let you look at trail cam pics on your phone and it is way cheaper than buying a separate card viewer.

This is an old thread - but since someone already brought it up, it's funny that there is a product now that people were asking for back then.
The BONE VIEW card readers for both Android and Apple phones will let you look at trail cam pics on your phone and it is way cheaper than buying a separate card viewer.

Unless you still have a flip phone lol :)

Top Bottom