Second Rut in December

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Elusive78, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Elusive78

Elusive78 New Member

Just want some thoughts out there, if anybody thinks might be some buck still rutting Mid December.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. muddy

muddy Administrator

There will be a few does come into heat late,but focusing on food sources over cruising areas will be a better bet.

Tim Hull likes this.
  4. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

Absolutely always will be does cycling a second time or yong does, etc. for the first time. Not really something that’s easy to capitalize on as it is more unpredictable and random. If you happen to be in the right spot it can be quite a show as there can be a lot of competition for her. I watched a hot doe in January many years ago in some good deer country and there were 21 bucks all around her and 3 mature bucks dominating the scene. Wish I would of had the ability to film it back then. Like Muddy said it’s getting to be food source time as winter moves in and rut worn bucks need to refuel.

TimberlandHollow likes this.
  5. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Active Member

I've been out shed hunting in early February before. And have seen a mature buck bird dogging a doe fawn like crazy wouldnt leave her side. So they re is always a few late ones that come into heat. If you can find one. You be in a hotspot.

6. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

2 yrs back I had a hot doe come through during second shotgun and her trail caught the attention of several 3 yr olds and younger bucks. Other than that, I can't remember the last rut activity that I saw during December or January. I wouldn't set up a strategy based on rutting activity, like Muddy said, find the food and you'll be in deer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. nontyp

nontyp Active Member

I would say it’s pretty rare to see rut activity mid December. Especially after they’ve been shot at for a couple weeks.

8. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

With the deer numbers where they are in my area of NCMO, the rut seems to never end. I had t cam pics of buck dogging a doe and other bucks having a knock down drag out fight last around 2/8/2018. IMHO there will be bucks cruising around for does here and there through the end of december.
    My best advice would be to get out there and hunt to see what you see and learn from it to make adjustments going forward.

9. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

When I was doing the management hunt, no guns, I would see rut activity regularly in December and some in January. As others have said it's not something I would be banking on. The does will come to food. So will the bucks. If there is a hot doe there it will help get the bucks going before sun down.