Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seed Distributor Around Black Hawk County?

Bill-M

Hello, I first wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill and live in BH county, I don't own any land but have a wonderful landowner who lets me play in the dirt a little. Found out playing in the dirt is in my DNA from Germany lol and I enjoy it. I only have a couple a tiny plots, one little less then 1/8th A. and one little over 1/8th A. but might make it into a 1/4 A this year.

Last year I picked up seed from Welters and before they closed I bought seed from Cedar River mill in Gilbertville. Just was curious if anyone has anywhere they buy seed from more local around Black Hawk county? Looking to pick up some fertilizer, Winter Rye and maybe Jerry Oats for this fall. The Clover I have no problem buying from Welters and just have it shipped.

I went back through 9 years of post on here, lots of good info you guys have shared so thank you. I am only small time with sweat and hand tools but man I enjoy it :).

Also for my landowner who was amazed with the size of the Purple Top Turnips I had last year, can I plant a few PTTs in May and harvest them in July for my landowner as a gift or would they be to bitter? Was thinking that then I could plant the Rye in fall in same plot.

Well I appreciate your help and happy habitat season.

Hello, I first wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill and live in BH county, I don't own any land but have a wonderful landowner who lets me play in the dirt a little. Found out playing in the dirt is in my DNA from Germany lol and I enjoy it. I only have a couple a tiny plots, one little less then 1/8th A. and one little over 1/8th A. but might make it into a 1/4 A this year.

Last year I picked up seed from Welters and before they closed I bought seed from Cedar River mill in Gilbertville. Just was curious if anyone has anywhere they buy seed from more local around Black Hawk county? Looking to pick up some fertilizer, Winter Rye and maybe Jerry Oats for this fall. The Clover I have no problem buying from Welters and just have it shipped.

I went back through 9 years of post on here, lots of good info you guys have shared so thank you. I am only small time with sweat and hand tools but man I enjoy it :).

Also for my landowner who was amazed with the size of the Purple Top Turnips I had last year, can I plant a few PTTs in May and harvest them in July for my landowner as a gift or would they be to bitter? Was thinking that then I could plant the Rye in fall in same plot.

Well I appreciate your help and happy habitat season.
Waterloo mills off of LaPorte rd in waterloo can get you anything and everything you want. Gl luck and post results of next yrs plots!!

Thank you 4DABUCKS, I will have to go check them out and see if they are still in business. They had a going out of business sale this summer I believe, did not think of them though. I appreciate the reply and hope to have some beautiful greenery to show you later :), gets the mind off this below zero stuff we are having. God Bless

welters is great for buying single seeds. For 1/4 acre- u sure aren’t gonna run up much cost in seed. Likely more for shipping & packaging than the actual seed cost. If u want buy seed local- seed, fertilizer, etc - id just stop by ur closest coop. They can order all that stuff for u really easily. Good luck & Dbltree forum will have all the answers u can think of there or can ask more ?’s there too. Best wishes on the plantings!

Thank you Sligh1, yeah basically was looking to save on shipping for the 50# rye grain if I could get that local. Kind of funny looking at applying 500# lime going oh boy to myself then dividing that by .25, oh that is not bad to carry back lol. Welters were good and friendly to deal with last year when I drove over there, I am eye balling the different clovers they have. Their brassica blend did really well for me in one of the plots last year. Thinking of frost seeding clover into the bare dirt from the brassicas this spring.

Really appreciate the help guys. Been doing alot of reading on here (love those DBltree post and experiments), you guys are a wealth of knowledge and kind enough to share it.

Top Bottom