Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 144 private land hunting

Do you support SF 144 private lands hunting

• Yes

• No

• Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill was actually introduced on 1/27. I ignored it as a feel good bill that would guarantee the right to hunt on private land. I figured it was the same thing as the proposed amendment to the state constitution to guarantee the right to hunt and fish.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=$selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=sf144

As it turns out if passed this bill could allow hunting year round for any species with out bag limits on private land. In other words there wouldn't be any rules governing what or when you could hunt on land under your control. We have reached out to the bill's sponsor for clarification.

That is how it was before game laws. This would be a disaster if the interpretation above is correct.

This is just ridiculous and flies in the face of the North American model of game management. They're not the kings deer!!!!

If this Chapman guy reps anyone here he needs to hear from you in a big way.

Last edited:
Would be nice to get meat whenever I needed it. Would be fun to shoot a velvet buck. Would be nice to catch up with a buck in the late late season, like throughout January.

Just kidding :)

Boy I have to say I read it twice I did not see where it says anything that would change what's already happening? Basically if I understand you still need a license and have to follow all state laws as well as being a resident. All it says is they can prohibit hunting on specific Private ground. I should read it again and see if I missed something

First part of first sentence.

"The commission shall not restrict or prohibit hunting on specific private property"

I see the language about licenses etc but i don't see anything about seasons. I hope Bonker gets a reply to his request for clarification.

Its not what it "says" it is how it can be interpreted. Look at it from the angle of trying gain a monetary advantage. I don't want to spread rumors but this may pertain to selling goose hunts year round. I'm not a waterfowler but isn't that covered in federal statute? Would it even be possible to sell hunts for wild free range geese out of season?

Hopefully my first impression is correct.

Its not what it "says" it is how it can be interpreted. Look at it from the angle of trying gain a monetary advantage. I don't want to spread rumors but this may pertain to selling goose hunts year round. I'm not a waterfowler but isn't that covered in federal statute? Would it even be possible to sell hunts for wild free range geese out of season?

Hopefully my first impression is correct.

Geese or any migratory waterfowl fall under control of the Feds. They set the guide line for the states to set season dates.

Now that you mention geese I wonder if this could be aimed at allowing goose hunting on private property int the No Goose hunting zones you see around places like Lake Sugema and Green Island. If so I think it could be worded better.

This bill passed the Senate today. The file number is 258. The same bill was proposed last year and I don't know how far it got. I still think it reads like a good bill and I haven't heard anymore on it than I had before.

Top Bottom