Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2039, Tracking wounded deer with dogs

Should SF 2039 allowing the usage of leashed dogs for tracking wounded deer be approved?

• Yes

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
Why is the scheduled fine for violating that law only $25?
So if they carry a gun or bow while tracking, let the dog off the leash, and fail to get permission from landowner - it is only a $25 fine?

Would absolutley love to see this bill get passed!!!! Nothing really stops people from trespassing and running dogs across your property anyway. Why not let law abiding citizens use a dog to help recover deer that otherwise may never get recovered.

Last edited:
100% support a bill allowing TRACKING of deer with a dog. I feel as though every possible way to recover a potentially dead deer should be used. Dogs are a phenomenal resource.

I also a support stiff penalties for taking dogs or having dogs or being on property for which don't have permission.

Are you adding voting options to these like last year? Maybe you already did but can't see them with taptalk? I think this would be a good idea, the bill proposal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100% support a bill allowing TRACKING of deer with a dog. I feel as though every possible way to recover a potentially dead deer should be used. Dogs are a phenomenal resource.

I also a support stiff penalties for taking dogs or having dogs or being on property for which don't have permission.

I too am in agreement with being able to use tracking dogs, which quite a few people do now anyway FWIW. But in my mind they need to be on a leash AND if someone is caught just letting dogs loose on the neighbors looking for a "wounded" deer...then the penalty needs to be stiff. The "good guys" will use a dog when necessary to retrieve a legitimately wounded deer...but the "bad guys" will let their "tracking dog" loose to stir up the deer in the neighborhood. They need to stay on a leash IMO..or else.

Are you adding voting options to these like last year? Maybe you already did but can't see them with taptalk? I think this would be a good idea, the bill proposal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All of the posts I have made so far this year have polls. If they are not displayed on some devices it may explain why there is such a paucity of votes.

I have no trouble with people tracking wounded deer with dogs if done with permission and would definitely be FOR if they reword it a little bit - they just need to increase penalty for not following the rules or I will have to be AGAINST this bill.
Trespassing is bad enough and i feel that this law would only make it worse - people will look at it as "might as well turn the dog loose and go wherever I want - worst case scenario if i get caught is a $25 fine"
I know one farm i have there will be a group that tries to run my place out with dogs during season and heavily post the fencelines claiming "we were just tracking a wounded deer"
Maybe increase penalty to $250 and add a clause stating that they must be able to show location of original hit - blood, hair or something proving they actually hit an animal.

I echo what everyone else said. For tracking wounded game I am definitely in favor. Penalties for abusing the law need to be stiffer to avoid it being abused.

Absolutely want to be able to legally track a wounded deer with a dog. My next one will be trained to blood trail either way. I also support a lot of other people's opinions on there that the penalty needs to be stiffer for violating the law.

I have no trouble with people tracking wounded deer with dogs if done with permission and would definitely be FOR if they reword it a little bit - they just need to increase penalty for not following the rules or I will have to be AGAINST this bill.
Trespassing is bad enough and i feel that this law would only make it worse - people will look at it as "might as well turn the dog loose and go wherever I want - worst case scenario if i get caught is a $25 fine"
I know one farm i have there will be a group that tries to run my place out with dogs during season and heavily post the fencelines claiming "we were just tracking a wounded deer"
Maybe increase penalty to $250 and add a clause stating that they must be able to show location of original hit - blood, hair or something proving they actually hit an animal.

How about $1,000. Half goes to landowner, half to state. That would get peoples attention.

How about $1,000. Half goes to landowner, half to state. That would get peoples attention.

Don't necessarily disagree, but not a chance in Hades that will happen... Neither a penalty that stiff, and certainly not sharing $$$ with landowner. Totally agree that $25 is nowhere near enough to dissuade those who would break the law!

Top Bottom