Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2055 Youth Crossbow Tag

ElkHunter

Life Member
My only comment is this. There is another bill wanting to lower the Sr crossbow age limit from 70 to 65. That only took 2 years to make that request. So we working both ends of age groups.

Senate File 2055 -
Introduced SENATE FILE 2055 BY FEENSTRA A BILL FOR An Act authorizing the use of crossbows by certain youth to 1 hunt deer. 2 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA: 3 TLSB 5728XS (2) 84 av/nh
S.F. 2055 Section 1. NEW SECTION . 483A.8D Youth crossbow deer hunting 1 licenses. 2
1. A resident of this state who is at least twelve years of age but under seventeen years of age may be issued one special youth crossbow antlered or any sex deer hunting license to hunt deer with a crossbow during bow season as established by rule by the commission.
2. A person who obtains a license to hunt deer under this section is required to have a hunting license, be otherwise qualified to hunt deer in this state, pay the wildlife habitat fee, and pay a one dollar fee that shall be used and is appropriated for the purpose of deer herd population management, including assisting with the cost of processing deer donated to the help us stop hunger program administered by the commission.
3. A person may obtain a deer hunting license under this section in addition to any other deer hunting licenses for which the person is eligible.
4. Season dates, shooting hours, limits, license quotas, and other regulations for this license shall be the same as established by the commission by rule for bow season deer hunting.

EXPLANATION
This bill provides that a resident youth who is 12 through 16 years of age may be issued a special youth crossbow antlered or any sex deer hunting license to hunt deer with a crossbow during bow season as established by rule by the natural resource commission. Generally, the use of a crossbow to hunt deer is not allowed except for use by certain elderly and disabled hunters. A youth who obtains such a license must also purchase a hunting license, pay the wildlife habitat fee, be otherwise qualified to hunt deer in this state, and pay a fee that is used and appropriated for the purpose of deer herd population management, including assisting with the cost of processing -1- LSB 5728XS (2) 84 av/nh 1/ 2

S.F. 2055 deer donated to the help us stop hunger program administered by the commission. A person who obtains a license pursuant to this provision may obtain other deer hunting licenses for which the person is eligible. The season dates, shooting hours, limits, license quotas, and other regulations for this license are the same as those in effect for bow season deer hunting. -2- LSB 5728XS (2) 84 av/nh 2/ 2

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
just easing us into allowing a crossbow season. i vote no. youth 12-16 can use a bow or shotgun/muzzle durring youth season.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
just easing us into allowing a crossbow season. i vote no. youth 12-16 can use a bow or shotgun/muzzle durring youth season.

Exactly

....a legally minumum draw weight youth compound with a properly weighted arrow and appropriate broadhead for the setup is more than adequate to kill a deer.

This bill can be filed in the circular filing cabinet as far as I'm concerned.

I am against it. I killed my first deer when I was 10 with an old POS that can't even compare to today's bows. All it is doing is easing us into a crossbow season. If every kid grows up shooting a crossbow, and they are our future of hunting, why would they not push hard for crossbow to be used during the general season. Then adults will whine and moan that kids get to use crossbows but not us?

I am all for handicap people getting out there and using one but do not see any good coming from this bill.

Not needed IMO. My kids chomping at the bit to get after deer with a bow but knows it's something he has to work for and that's how I think it should be.
Just re-read it. They could still get a bow tag too. I'm all for youth hunting but how much is to much?

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Like Randy said, all they are trying to do is bridge the gap. I can see absolutely 0 reason for proposing the use of crossbows for that age group, unless handicapped. We all grew up using a compound and most of us learned through our successes and failures which led us to where we are today.

I came from a state that legalized crossbow hunting and it is not a pretty sight. I'm all for people hunting and enjoying the outdoors, but I can't for the life of me see how this would be beneficial at all. Guess we'll see.

Why the heck does a kid need to kill a deer with a crossbow!!! If the purpose of youth season is to expose and educate youths to hunting safely in an unpressured season, than let them LEARN with the easiest most efficient weapon availiable that is legal (shotgun). As far as i am concerned it should be limited to antlerless only as well. Watch the TV stars take their kids. When they drop their big bucks that dad drew in with a foodplot and scouted for them most of the time the kids rarely show much enthusiam even after being well rested from sleeping in the box blind.. What do these kids have to look forward to. Some times i think we are better to let the kids stay home and chomp at the bit to go with us when they are older than to have them accomplish their first kills without putting much into it other than pulling the trigger.

I agree with your comments, stickbow. At the top of this bill, it says "certain" youth can use a crossbow. Is there something missing here Randy? Do they have to have certain physical limits? And the way it reads now they could also get a regular bow tag? Seems incomplete to me. The last paragraph makes me think this WOULD be their only bow tag, but that should be spelled out more clearly.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
What will they do with the crossbows when their kids are no longer eligible for a youth tag. Now every kid out there has a crossbow. Well lets just make them legal for the regular bow season too...:rolleyes:

What will they do with the crossbows when their kids are no longer eligible for a youth tag. Now every kid out there has a crossbow. Well lets just make them legal for the regular bow season too...:rolleyes:

yup. a whole generation that was raised to shoot deer during archery season with a corssbow, pushing to be allowed to do it as adults. this bill was probably written by crossbow companies.

BAD idea

The technology of a low weight compound is fantastic in today's youth bows. Got my son his first compound last spring for his 12th birthday, and at 40 lbs, this thing will easily blow through a deer at 20 yards or less. He has spent a bunch of hours thumping the target in the back yard, and when he does get that first bow kill, it's going to seem like all the hard work was worth it.

NWBuck

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I believe the "certain" is about the age group.... Just guessing. Youth can get a bow tag but 12-16 could use a crossbow.

Where is stated they are trying to bridge the gap?

It is not for the youth season it would give them the opportunity to hunt the regular bow season.

Why the hell should kids be limited to only shoot does during youth season? That is just BS and I question your reasoning. You think dads are using their kids to kill big bucks before they go nocturnal?????

Maybe we should have them make their own bows and arrows from scratch so they would have more respect and be more enthused about taking a deer. Maybe I should hunt with a stickbow so I could feel more enthused :(.

Not all kids are TV star kids. They are the minority not the majority.

Sent using IW app
Cooter, my oversight. I interpreted as being used during youth season. Still don't see a reason for ANYONE to use a crossbow during bowseason period. Handicap or elderly. Hell I've seen a guy shoot a bow from his wheelchair with his teeth as he was missing an arm . He was a darn good shot. I know 70 year old guys shooting 60# recurves. Anyway its more of a gun than a bow put it in the muzzleloader season. If you have a sore shoulder shoot 40#. I know a few "handicap" hunters in iowa who have no disability and take advantage of this by obtaining physician note. One guy claims an arthritic finger. I asked him why not use a release. Didn't get an answer. The answer is he and the couple other I know are too lazy to spend the time to practice. Bowhunting isn't supposed to be easy. I don't expect all to use primitive equipment but I do expect the equipment to resemble a bow and the equipment to require some effort to master if the person wants to say they are DOING IT THE HARD WAY. Once the foot is in the door it is eventually down hill from there and hard to turn it around or place limits(extra late doe season and rifles sounded appealing to alot of people).Changing it now is alot tougher than throttling it in the beginning. As far as kids shooting bucks, yea i see no reason for it. The purpose of youth season is to educate the kid in an unpressured setting. Seems to me that would be a great recipie for a shotgun and doe management. No big buck fever
pressure and use the most easily mastered weapon with multiple shots in case the first shot is off. Yea and I DO know several " non TV bigshots" that scout out BIG deer and put their kids or their friends kids on them when their kids were too old and toast the bucks before regular seasons begin so they LOOK GOOD as they won't put forth the effort to harvest these deer during there regular season themselves. Its not because they are afraid "bucks go nocturnal". And one of these guys is the guy with the arthritic finger". Yea they do this on pastures they lease that borders good or managed land and shoot the deer when it jumps the fence to eat their turnips.And no it doesn't affect my hunting area. This really does nothing for the kid as most didn't hunt, scout or have any input. They were taken to a spot to sit and pull the trigger. Do you really think these kids really know what they shot and appreciate it. ALso I made no mention of anyone having to use traditional equipment much less a kid. I imagine you are involved in the hunt and equipment and that makes the end result all the sweeter when attained. Why should that be any different for a kid. I saw a 5 year old kid shoot a buck on TV. Why does a 5 year old need to kill a deer. His dad smiled ear to ear. The kid just sat there. Thats what I'm talking about. You don't know me, what i use, or why. Maybe reading this post will give you some food for thought. I guess if you need to be more enthused you could try primitive equipment but it takes some work.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Gimme a break. A crossbow requires no physical effort to shoot other than to draw it for which there are cranks and aids. you shoulder it like a gun, pull a trigger like a gun,it requires very little effort to master like a gun.
Other than a different projectile it sounds more like a gun to me. Put it in the gun season I have no problem with that. But the DNR won't do that as they couldn't sell extra permits as these people wouldn't HANDICAP themselves and use a crossbow in gun season. As I stated once the foot is in the door(handicap/elderly) its hard to close it or stop the spread as every special interest group has their reason(crossbows for kids). Kinda like foodstamps, state aid, ect. A good idea but greed, laziness take over and when limitations are imposed someone cries foul.. Back to the getting something for nothing ideology whether its deer that daddy puts them on and they pull the trigger or social issues. Take the kids in a blind to watch, shed hunt, scout, thats what builds and fuels the fire.

I have sold bows and crossbows in the past. I would say 75% of the X bows I have sold were to guys that could cock the bow with out any help. I belive thats a bunch of BS. If you are unable to draw a 45 lbs bow then u should not be able to shoot a X bow. I have sold many compond bows to guys over 60 years old that still shoot 60 lbs. I have guys tell me "I had shoulder surgery 5 years ago and have a liftime X bow license"
I'm not an X bow fan during archery season. BUT I think you should be able to us one during a gun season. I think it would be fun to kill a turkey with one.

Last edited:
Still don't see a reason for ANYONE to use a crossbow during bowseason period. Handicap or elderly. Hell I've seen a guy shoot a bow from his wheelchair with his teeth as he was missing an arm . He was a darn good shot. I know 70 year old guys shooting 60# recurves.

I try to refrain from throwing stones on this sight, or any sight, but this one put me over the edge. I'd like to introduce you to my brother, and among my favorite hunting partners. He'll probably read this at some point...at least I hope so. Taught his little brother (me) to bowhunt while I was a teenager and we've shared the passion for the last 30+ years. Unfortunately, he broke his neck in a diving accident at the age of 19, and is paralyzed from the neck down. Has killed everything from whitetails to turkeys to antelope and black bears using a sip and puff crossbow, because he has no use of his arms. I've been with him for a couple of kills, and you can't spend time in a blind with him without being impressed and inspired.

I don't favor the expanded use of crossbows, and pretty sure he wouldn't either. I completely agree that those who are able to pull a compound should...including youth hunters. I know there are abuses out there...I get it. But to put out a "holier than thou" blanket statement like you did is just stupid. JMHO...

NWBuck

There are people that need it agreed. but probably more abuse than people that actually have legit need for it. I do feel kids don't need it and it should be in a gun season. Maybe with early or late muzzle.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I would like to know why you(stickbow) want the crossbows only in the gun or ML season? have you ever even shot a crossbow? If you had you would know that they are nothing even close to a gun hell I know that some of the new bows are more effective killing machines than any crossbow. Hell if you would know anything about the crossbow you would know that they may have a higher draw weight but the bolt is very lightweight and the KE is nothing like a modern compound. I HAVE TO USE A CROSSBOW so you want me and others like me to have to hunt when all the gun hunters are out there?? I see no sense in your reasoning sounds like to me you are a little jealous that you have to use a "stickbow" I will not take a shot with my crossbow farther than 28 yrds as I have no KE after that. I shoot the best model that Tenpoint makes. I know you will tell me that you know of guys that shoot deer at 50-60 yrds with the crossbow I say to them "you don't respect the deer if you are taking shots at those yardage" it would compair to useing a compound at 100 yrds.Makes no sense to me. I know that this will start a beehive of replies but this is how I feel about your comments. So to you I say BAH!!!

Last edited:
States That Allow Crossbow Hunting

The laws concerning the use of crossbows in hunting varies from a complete ban in Oregon to Georgia's allowance of crossbows during any season. The main difference is that some states permit crossbow use during archery season while some restrict it to firearms season. Although some states do not permit crossbow hunting, almost all have made an exception for those with a verifiable disability that prevents them from using a bow and arrow.

Disability Permits

o These states require a special permit for a hunter to use a crossbow during archery season: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The permit varies from state to state, but generally requires medical proof that the hunter is unable to effectively or comfortably hunt with a bow and arrow.

Archery Season

o These states permit the use of crossbows during archery season: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wyoming.

Firearms Season

o These states allow crossbow hunting during firearms season: California, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, and New Hampshire. Crossbows do not fall under the category of archery equipment in these states, and cannot be used until the opening of gun season.

o Illinois, Maryland, and Michigan have specific age requirements for using a crossbow. In Illinois, hunters 62 years and older may obtain a permit to hunt with a crossbow. Maryland permits hunters who are at least 65 years old to hunt during archery season. Michigan permits all hunters to use crossbows during firearms seasons, but restricts crossbow use in deer archery season to hunters at least 50 years old.

Designated Areas

o Alaska has bow-only areas where crossbow use is not permitted. It is permitted in any of the state's bow and gun areas. The state of Florida has four hunting zones. The regulations for hunting with crossbows vary with zone, game, and season.

Indiana

o Indiana allows for the use of crossbows when hunting only during the late archery season. Also, no deer with antlers may be hunted.

Top Bottom