Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Buck Competition!! Get em!

I and 2 friends will be going out tonight for a sit. I will post results later! :moon:

Well good news!! We all shot shed bucks :way: one of them had some really good bases too 5+ inches.

I was wondering how to enter my trophy into the contest??

Well good news!! We all shot shed bucks :way: one of them had some really good bases too 5+ inches.

Wapsi guy, you use the formula PI * R^2. That will give you the area of the pedicle assuming a circle. I would also measure the radius in inches.Then you add the distance inbetween the bases. The guy with the largest number wins. :way:

The worst story I ever heard about this season was a guy down south had a bunch of ground and he didn't get a long well with some of the neighbors. He was a deer manager, they weren't. Supposedly they sat on his fence line and shot every shed buck that crossed the fence on purpose. They were doing it just to P*ss him off. That is just wrong on so many levels.

I hope every person on here takes a few minutes at the Deer Classic to stop by and tell the DNR how they feel.

I hope every person on here takes a few minutes at the Deer Classic to stop by and tell the DNR how they feel.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Send me the harvest photos with smiling faces and a nice cleaned up deer, since you're the 1st official entry, we'd like to feature you on the homepage of www.shedbucksofiowa.com - we'd also like to schedule a celebrity photo shoot with you, please keep your buck in fresh condition and looking nice (I suggest some professional hair care products and some light make-up for both the deer and yourself).
Next we'd like to get a full article for our upcoming magazine and if things work out- a slot in our year end calendar- you may choose the month since you're lucky #1. Since the contest is FAR from over, no guarantees on any wins, I assure you, I've been informed that this year has high predictions and high hopes for some bruisers- I'm pulling for you and I'm really stoked for all the other stellar entries we'll soon see! :way:

Dang!!! Wish this guy would shed so I could put an antlerless tag on him! Then again, we did such a good job of shooting does in my county that they did away with the late antlerless only season. :way:

IM000070.jpg

Then again, we did such a good job of shooting does in my county that they did away with the late antlerless only season. :way:.

Man, it's your LUCKY DAY- we have tons of tags and shed bucks available for you down here in southern IA- we'd sure like your help in this contest as well! :)

In all seriousness, you are lucky your county has hit its goal and your bucks are out of harms way for the year!!!

The DNR is willing to have a little "collateral damage" to meet their population goals.

If with a rack he was worthy, then by default as a shed buck he is worthy. I don't see the difference except for the "trophy hunter mentality". Still the same animal whether carrying bone or not. QUOTE]

Dang!!! Wish this guy would shed so I could put an antlerless tag on him! Then again, we did such a good job of shooting does in my county that they did away with the late antlerless only season. :way:
Yet another quote...As a farmer, I was briefly a FB member.

I have since dropped my membership, due to their "kill all deer" stance and lobbying effort.

Umm...ya?

I have to agree with Sligh1 on this issue. It's like WWIII during the gun seasons in Southern Iowa and the only difference between the shotgun season and the rifle season is the effective range. I am one of those landowners that can have 3 buck tags every year and have never shot more than one buck in a season and many years don't fill any buck tags. I know that many guys are reporting shed bucks and button bucks as does because they don't want the rifle season taken away. So many of Slighs numbers will be low. I have four questions for those posting on this issue to ask themselves relating to the last three years.

1. Overall has your hunting been getting better or worse the last three years?
2. If your a "trophy" hunter has the quality or numbers of bucks improved the last three years?
3. If your a "meat" hunter have you been able to fill the tags you wanted to or have you not filled/bought tags because you felt the population in your area was too low?
4. What has changed in the management of the deer herd in Iowa the last three years that could have affected your answers to the first three questions?

My answers are:
1. Worse.
2. Decreased numbers and quality.
3. Not harvesting as many does due to very few mature does in the herd and the population being lower than I want to see when hunting.
4. November antlerless season/January antlerless season.

I feel that the November antlerless season and January antlerless season need to be eliminated and let the depredation program be utilized in the problem areas. I think that the letter that Mark Roberg (retired CO) wrote about the late rifle season really sums up how much of the antlerless season goes in many parts of Southern Iowa. I copied and pasted for enlightenment of those who are not in Southern Iowa during this season.

Marc Roberg, Afton

To the editor:

In May of 2010, what I believe was a travesty of justice was perpetrated on the citizens of Taylor County. This decision may have severe consequences for the future. A District court judge dismissed charges on 12 individuals at the request of the Clerk of Court. The charges stemmed from an incident in January of 2009. On January 17, 2009 the conservation officer assigned to Taylor County received several complaints of a very large group of deer hunters just northwest of Bedford. Witnesses reported that the group was using vehicles to hunt deer and were shooting rifles from the roadway and near residences. When officers arrived they found numerous rifle casings on the roads and 2 antlered bucks and 2 does that had been shot and left in the fields. This was the antlerless deer season. Through witness reports of license numbers and vehicle descriptions, officers were able to track down the individuals involved in this hunting complaint. The officers found that there were at least 22 participants involved. Through interviews with these people, officers got written statements and admissions that corroborated the witness reports of using motor vehicle to hunt deer. Several individuals admitted shooting rifles from or across the roads. Several in the group also admitted the use of CB radios to coordinate the hunt.
License records checks showed that several people involved were not properly licensed to hunt. While there were numerous wildlife violations, the most troubling part was the total lack of concern and respect for residents of the area and the total disregard of safety and hunter ethics exhibited by the members of the hunting group. Conservation officers investigated the incident thoroughly. Statements were taken, cell phones were seized for evidence, and guns were seized for testing at the Division of Criminal Investigation Lab. Due to delays at the DCI lab, no enforcement actions were taken until January of 2010. During this time, one of the witnesses was harassed by a member of this hunting group. After the results from the Lab were received, the officers presented a list of charges to the County Attorney. The County Attorney decided what charges would be filed. After being charged by the officers, all of the defendants requested jury trials. Two trial dates were set, with one being moved to Adams County due to one of the defendant’s employment at the Taylor County courthouse. At the request of the County Attorney, all guns were returned to the defendants in the spring of 2010. One week after the last gun was returned, the Taylor County officer was told by a third party the rumor was all of the charges had been dismissed by a district court judge. The next day the officer was notified by the county attorney’s office the charges had been dismissed by District Court Judge Lloyd. The judge cited budgetary problems and simple misdemeanor jury trials to be of a low priority. When asked, the Taylor County Clerk of Court stated that she talked to the district court judge about the dismissals and requested them. She also stated that she had talked about the possibility of dismissing the cases to both the Adams and Taylor county magistrates and attorneys weeks prior to the dismissal. The Clerk of Court stated not having enough help as the primary reason. She also said since she was leaving her employment with the Clerk’s office in July, she did not want to burden the incoming clerk with the trials. The district court judge stated budgetary reasons for the dismissals and admitted to not reviewing the cases or conferring with anyone except the Clerk of Court. I do not believe the County Attorney advocated the State’s position for justice in this case. The Department of Natural Resources tried unsuccessfully to get a judicial review for reinstatement of the cases from the State Attorney General’s office. The officers followed standard procedures and the letter of the law, throughout the whole case, from interviewing suspects to the seizure of the firearms to filing charges.
As law-biding hunters, citizens and other law enforcement officers, you should be concerned as to what kind of message this sends to both the violators and the people who turn in those violators.

Where is the justice?

There has been a lot of rumor and speculation about this case due to its duration and who the defendants were. The dismissals were not because of lack of evidence, nor legal or evidentiary errors made by the officers.
They were dismissed by a judge who did not even review the case or the charges. I felt the public should know what happened and what can happen with our justice system.

Don't worry THA4, I'm sure they were identifing the does from the shed and button bucks! ;)........Oh wait, they were even shooting the antlered bucks so I guess maybe they don't worry about the shed bucks and button bucks. Just think not one dollar was paid by any of the 22 "participants" for any of the violations including shooting the antlered bucks during the antlerless season. Anyone that observes this season with open eyes sees this run and gun style all across Southern Iowa in the late rifle season not to mention the shotgun seasons. I usually hunt the shotgun season with my landowner tag so I can take a youth hunting and to patrol my property for trespassers. Each year it gets harder to buy the tag due the negative connotations associated with being a shotgun hunter even though I always stand hunt and use a ML.

Have you ever heard the saying: You are a reflectrion of who you hang around. Well, I don't really like being lumped in with the shotgun and late rifle season crowd due to what everyone thinks of the guys who participate. It is disappointing to me to say the least because I'm one of those guys that will buy a license or a tag for every season I can because I just like being outside enjoying the sport. Most of the tags I buy go unfilled and I am fine with that because it's more about managing my land, not the filling of tags that trips my trigger!

Last edited:
well said iowaqdm,dont worry about THA4, i think he resides in a more northern county, so he doesnt get to come out and play with the long range rifle bombers.

just think 14 more days left should be a good shed buck harvest,big cold front moving in, doe population increasing has we speak.

1. Overall has your hunting been getting better or worse the last three years?
2. If your a "trophy" hunter has the quality or numbers of bucks improved the last three years?
3. If your a "meat" hunter have you been able to fill the tags you wanted to or have you not filled/bought tags because you felt the population in your area was too low?
4. What has changed in the management of the deer herd in Iowa the last three years that could have affected your answers to the first three questions?

My answers are:
1. Worse.
2. Decreased numbers and quality.
3. Not harvesting as many does due to very few mature does in the herd and the population being lower than I want to see when hunting.
4. November antlerless season/January antlerless season.

Now that's a well thought out great post! I think everyone should think about and answer those questions, they are fair & really get to the heart of this whole issue. The article on Taylor county- those "types" of people exist, sadly- in relatively high #'s, in every county. Your questions & answers apply to everyone on here and I think I know how a good % of people would answer them.

*I'll have to look at some updates on the harvest soon. 200 shed bucks in the weekend though huh - I absolutely BELIEVE it really is double that or more from non-reporting or mis-reporting (often so season stays).

I noticed that in davis county we went from 18 to 36 shed bucks over the weekend.we are now ahead of jackson and allamakee.van buren went from 18 to 41 in the same time.Clayton here we come.

Being from MN, I can't believe how Iowa is currently managing there deer. If your state keeps it up, you won't have to worry about non-residents coming to hunt. This late doe season is a very bad idea, I do a lot of shed hunting in Iowa on private and state land, and have found some really nice antlers, it is a shame to know there is a possibility that the nice 65inch side you just picked up, belonged to a deer that is now dead. So much for managing your bucks.

I have hunted Iowa in the past, and shot a couple really nice bucks and I'm applying again, I will be applying for an archery tag. I have permission on some good private land. Hopefully there are not too many shed bucks being shot on the farm this year:mad:

In my opinion, most people in my area who gun hunt, don't do any other hunting or shooting throughout the year; just during slug season. They don't know much about hunting, they don't care about big bucks or deer numbers, they just want to fill their tags. Brown its down. Slugs fly'n every where, shooting off the road etc. I'm sure it is similar in Iowa. Hopefully this late season gets enough negative press, that is goes away sooner than later.

Great above posts!!!!

****I NEED YOUR OPINION AND YOUR FEEDBACK PLEASE!....

The biggest bit of contention on here and disagreement seems to be whether folks are doing a good job at identifying deer and not shooting the button bucks or shed bucks. We all agree most folks don't target shed bucks or button bucks BUT it happens a lot because folks are NOT ID'ing deer properly. I made a aggressive statement that it was my OPINION/GUESS/ESTIMATE that 90% of folks are NOT doing a good job on identifying deer and end up shooting whatever since many of them are dropping "rifle" or shotgun bombs OR are not taking the time to be certain they aren't shooting a button buck or shed buck. This is especially true in Southern Iowa which seems to have a different breed of hunters in many of the groups out for deer- much different in your well-to-do farming areas in the upper part of the state. OK- so I thought I'd back this up with some FACTS & STATISTICS and I'd like your feeling & feedback. I did address this more briefly before BUT this is more depth and I really want your feedback based on the EVIDENCE you see below with its rationale.

1st- most evidence I recall has an average antlerless break-up like this: for every 4 antlerless deer: 2 will be does, 1 will be a 6 month old doe and 1 will be a button buck. Birth-rates have been shown to be very close to 50/50 as well male/female. OK- so that would put 25% of the antlerless deer as button bucks. CAN WE AGREE ON THIS or do you feel we're close/in the ball-park here???

2nd- ok, if you do AND if we are identifying deer frequently AND are out to NOT shoot button bucks and shed bucks largely, the % of button bucks of the antlerless harvest should be really low- correct? OK, here's the FACTS..... So far with bow season (where it should be easier to identify), gun, ML and a few days of late antlerless, we've harvested:
60,809 DOES- female antlerless obviously.
12,354 Button Bucks
So, a total of 73,167 antlerless.
OF THIS TOTAL: 17% of the antlerless harvest is button bucks. 25% of the antlerless deer would be button bucks, an 8% difference. I will also say very few people will knowlingly target a button buck, maybe a few new hunters for example. Vast vast majority will not- agree? Most folks shoot a "doe" and go, "oh hey, it has little nubs, I accidentally shot a button buck"- agree? Thus, if people were PERFECTLY identifying deer & those not targeting them successfully avoided them- the % would like be 2 or 3% button buck harvest of the total antlerless harvest- agree?

So, with this logic and if you agree with me, even when including BOW season into the estimates, a far larger # of button bucks are not being identified correctly and lots of "oopsy's" are happening all over. NOW, where it fits into this- if folks during BOW season, shotgun and ML are not doing a great job identifying, it's my STRONG OPINION folks are doing a vastly more poor job during late antlerless, ESPECIALLY in southern IA where you have groups of rifle toting groups doing drives and large groups going out to mow down deer.
In the regular season, if you buy my logic- the harvest SHOULD be 2-3% button bucks if folks are properly identifying BUT it's 17% (so 6 to 8 times more prevalent than it should be)- NOW, go add in rifles, no bowhunters (almost), lots of deer drives AND it's no wonder that NOT identifying shed bucks could be 90% of the case (or close).

What you think???
*Sure, I understand also I'm using some estimates, some OPINION and some experience. I'm doing my best to couple my THEORY with statistics from our harvest data and facts of population composition. Folks also need to really grasp that, especially in SOUTHERN IA, most folks are NOT like us on here. They are not hard-core managers in most cases, they aren't looking at deer research, they are engraved in the biology. Not degrading them BUT most are out for a good time blasting things (which is fine BUT this season shouldn't put them in that position this time of year) and killing some stuff & gettin' some meat. These folks are NOT on this website and you'll see truckloads of these guys every weekend in any neighborhood in southern & eastern IA (where I'm familiar with). THOUGHTS?!?!?

Shednut:
you are right. I'm worried this will be our "Earn-a-buck" disaster like WI had and overturned. A lot of folks have been hurting with deer hunting in RECENT last couple years- NO COINCIDENCE in my opinion. I liked the thread "Iowa deer going the way of the pheasant" on a relation to how the pheasant hunting used to be so good BUT took a 180 degree turn - obviously for different reasons BUT I've seen many cases where things spiral down quickly, we may be witnessing a contributor.

Jclaws- that's 18 to 36 bucks in just one weekend that were REPORTED!! Unfortunately, I know lots of groups in that area that won't report em OR just call in as doe or button buck or whatever so season stays. Hey Jclaws- I have a plan, I think we could pull Davis county into 1st place... I have about 40 buddies of mine that are really wanting to win this contest, IF we combine that with 40 of your buddies- we could meet up this weekend, have an 82 man deer drive, I figure if we move quickly- I estimate we could cover 26 sections in 2 days. If my estimates are correct, I believe we could possibly harvest 226 shed antler bucks- THUS, putting Davis county into the lead and surely getting some trophy shed bucks that can be entered in this contest. What do you say, 6 am Saturday? I'll bring the keg & the bus filled with Buddy's & Banana Clips.

Last edited:
Skip if your short on manpower i know some amish down there,they are not picky when it comes to how shed bucks taste,you will have to stop by and give them a ride though!

This seems odd to me. On the one hand we are hearing the DNR and IBA, are very concerned about the deer herd, being devastated by some corn or a salt block someone puts out. On the other hand they are not concerned about the deer herd with all the extra seasons. Can't get those numbers low enough.??

Top Bottom