Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Buck Competition!! Get em!

I have read alot of the thread but not all so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

In my area what I see the biggest threat to deer numbers has nothing to do with the early and late doe seasons or as some call the "shed buck" season but much more to do with the "brown its down" mentality that alot of shotgun groups have.

A group of 12-15 hunters shooting 20-30 deer with on average 40% being fawns. I do not have a problem with shooting fawns as it is legal but when these groups are killing just to fill tags with some hunters not even wanting the deer meat that bothers me.

Maybe this isnt common in other areas of the state but this IMO has much more to do with low deer numbers than the rarly participated (in my area) doe seaons.

OK folks, we are about 9 days into the Shed Buck Contest of 2011... I'll admit, sometimes it's been nerve racking, it's been filled with ups and downs, a lot of emotions, tears & laughs and some counties that have really put things in over drive- great job folks!! :way:

Bickal went and deleted all his posts on the site (what's up with that guys, seriously???) & unfortunately deleted his much appreciated base-line contest starts. BUT, starting this Prestigious contest out, we had some previous TOP DOGS....

STARTING OUT it was:Clayton county with 51 shed bucks killed so far! You guys are the TOPS! :) Jackson in 2nd with 31, Alamakee in 3rd with 28 and Fayette & Jones with 25. Honorable mentions to Warren & Madison with 21.

Now, only 9 days into this "MARATHON" we have had a shift in some areas & results.... Drum Roll Folks....... Are you nervous..... Is your heart beating????..... Mine is... This is so exiting!!!!.....

1st PLACE SO FAR..... And the current #1 still goes to CLAYTON COUNTY with 71. Clayton "FIRED" off early to be in 1st BUT the momentum of several popular rifle-toting counties sure are changing the dynamics.

2nd PLACE SO FAR.... WOW, we have a NEW 2nd place holder!!!... VAN BUREN COUNTY!!!!!! "SHOOTING" into 2nd place with 43!! Let's give it up folks! :drink1:

3rd PLACE SO FAR..... Van Buren's inbred cousin & southern neighbor- DAVIS COUNTY with 40: "DRIVING" into 3rd place, great WORK!!!

4th PLACE, 5th PLACE, 6th PLACE & 7th PLACE all in order, just like a single file line of shed bucks running outta the timber just begging for a bullet.....
Allamakee with 36, Appanoose & Jackson tied with 5th & 6th with 35 AND finally 7th is: Fayette with 31.

We've seen some major twists and turns, I feel like this is like "Scream 2" where you just don't know what's going to happen, who and how many are going to get slayed, who is really doing what - it's just pure suspense- I'm on edge and I know you are too.

We're still on track with the calendar, www.shedbucksofiowa.com will have some updates, YOURS TRULY will be on OPRAH tomorrow- tune in & we are also exploring a Reality Show and a Book deal. Hang in there folks and thanks for checking in!!!

*Please be sure to respond the the identification (button buck example) post/question of mine (either page 13 or 14) IF you haven't needed to take a nap from all the reading and expended all your emotional energy with laughs & tears - this CONTEST has created a lot of new meaning in our life with a lot of passion, deep felt thoughts and unbridled emotions. Thanks folks & stay tuned... AND REMEMBER, it's never too late to get together your BUS OF BUDDIES, BOOZE & BANANA CLIPS and head out!!!! :way:

Last edited:
OK folks, we are about 9 days into the Shed Buck Contest of 2011... I'll admit, sometimes it's been nerve racking, it's been filled with ups and downs, a lot of emotions, tears & laughs and some counties that have really put things in over drive- great job folks!! :way:

Bickal went and deleted all his posts on the site (what's up with that guys, seriously???) & unfortunately deleted his much appreciated base-line contest starts. BUT, starting this Prestigious contest out, we had some previous TOP DOGS....

STARTING OUT it was:Clayton county with 51 shed bucks killed so far! You guys are the TOPS! :) Jackson in 2nd with 31, Alamakee in 3rd with 28 and Fayette & Jones with 25. Honorable mentions to Warren & Madison with 21.

Now, only 9 days into this "MARATHON" we have had a shift in some areas & results.... Drum Roll Folks....... Are you nervous..... Is your heart beating????..... Mine is... This is so exiting!!!!.....

1st PLACE SO FAR..... And the current #1 still goes to CLAYTON COUNTY with 71. Clayton "FIRED" off early to be in 1st BUT the momentum of several popular rifle-toting counties sure are changing the dynamics.

2nd PLACE SO FAR.... WOW, we have a NEW 2nd place holder!!!... VAN BUREN COUNTY!!!!!! "SHOOTING" into 2nd place with 43!! Let's give it up folks! :drink1:

3rd PLACE SO FAR..... Van Buren's inbred cousin & southern neighbor- DAVIS COUNTY with 40: "DRIVING" into 3rd place, great WORK!!!

4th PLACE, 5th PLACE, 6th PLACE & 7th PLACE all in order, just like a single file line of shed bucks running outta the timber just begging for a bullet.....
Allamakee with 36, Appanoose & Jackson tied with 5th & 6th with 35 AND finally 7th is: Fayette with 31.

We've seen some major twists and turns, I feel like this is like "Scream 2" where you just don't know what's going to happen, who and how many are going to get slayed, who is really doing what - it's just pure suspense- I'm on edge and I know you are too.

We're still on track with the calendar, www.shedbucksofiowa.com will have some updates, YOURS TRULY will be on OPRAH tomorrow- tune in & we are also exploring a Reality Show and a Book deal. Hang in there folks and thanks for checking in!!!

*Please be sure to respond the the identification (button buck example) post/question of mine (either page 13 or 14) IF you haven't needed to take a nap from all the reading and expended all your emotional energy with laughs & tears - this CONTEST has created a lot of new meaning in our life with a lot of passion, deep felt thoughts and unbridled emotions. Thanks folks & stay tuned... AND REMEMBER, it's never too late to get together your BUS OF BUDDIES, BOOZE & BANANA CLIPS and head out!!!! :way:

Sligh1............this is great :way: Bonker, look out!!

This one kind of bugged me...
I went out last night by a friends farm by Des Moines to get a trail camera. Ran into a neighbor going out hunting - I told him I would go out later in week. He says, Yada yada yada yada "if you see a dandy buck, shoot that sucker!!! I am". In this case even the bucks that are carrying aren't out of harms way! Just bugged me & I wonder if this is happening in some other areas as well- no matter just ticked me off.

This one kind of bugged me...
I went out last night by a friends farm by Des Moines to get a trail camera. Ran into a neighbor going out hunting - I told him I would go out later in week. He says, Yada yada yada yada "if you see a dandy buck, shoot that sucker!!! I am". In this case even the bucks that are carrying aren't out of harms way! Just bugged me & I wonder if this is happening in some other areas as well- no matter just ticked me off.

Some people do that all across the country.

Some people do that all across the country.

Yes, I know that & I know it happens during all seasons. Just a bummer though & I wish this guy last night was done on Jan 10th.

*Thankfully, talking to a few of my friends from other states over the last couple weeks- it really reminded me how much BETTER we have it in Iowa with our hunting and regulations. We are STILL #1 hands down the best state in the country for deer. I sure hope we don't make a lot of mistakes with regulations OR when we do, I hope they are able to realize and fix them quickly. This state is #1, the DNR, IBA and legislature have done an outstanding job with our past regulations, season dates, etc. A lot of our good decisions have started with the hunters of IA- most of them in fact. Could IA be made better? YEP. Could we possibly do some things to screw the hunting up? YEP. But you and I can never overlook that we're in the best state possible for whitetails and sometimes it's easy to overlook how much better we have it than most the folks in any other state. :way:

**Also doesn't mean I won't be having some fun with posts like this too! :grin:

shed bucks

I agree with Sligh1 on the late season needing to go that is 156 shed bucks killed is it that many people that cant tell the difference between a 220 body deer and a 150 pound deer maybe we need to have a deer training class for all this rookies because the average man can tell the difference between a 300 hundred pound women and a 100 pound women right keep killing this shed bucks you will see a change

I agree with Sligh1 on the late season needing to go that is 156 shed bucks killed is it that many people that cant tell the difference between a 220 body deer and a 150 pound deer maybe we need to have a deer training class for all this rookies because the average man can tell the difference between a 300 hundred pound women and a 100 pound women right keep killing this shed bucks you will see a change

Great analogy :D And these idiots don't even have their beer goggles on when they hunt!............... OH wait!:D

Keeping real

Theres nothing to talk about look at the numbers the facts are facts this guys shooting shed bucks took this contest for real i think, do we have to remind them the contest isnt real LOL:thrwrck:

the contest isnt real LOL:thrwrck:

HUH?!!? What are you gonna say when you see the Shed Buck Contest winner on the cover of Shed Buck Magazine? When he or she has their picture taken with a list of A-list celebrities and featured in the 2012 Shed Buck calendar?? This contest is real and is making headway around the country!!! :D

Shooting tomorrows Booners, shed today!

Just think how much it saves on taxidermy bills!:way:

dead bucks

went out sat and found 5 dead bucks 3 prob hit by cars found 100 yards off busy road all them were small then found 1 had already been cut off and the last was about a 130 inch 3 1/2 year old with a arrow still in him that sucked it was about hundred yards behind a stand off mine also saw 13 bucks with both sides still 10 of them running together 3 of them in this guys back yard at a feeder

well the season is finally over and it was van buren couty by a long shot.
van buren-115
davis-85
clayton-81
appanoose-67
wayne-59
Bad thing is i think that some of my fellow davis county hunters were probably holding out, cause im betting that there were alot more shed bucks shot and not reported.
Maybe next year

On a good note my buddy caught a bobcat saturday so we called the local co to come and get it.In the ride back to the snare i asked him about the late doe season,and the deer numbers.He said that he had talked to mr litchfield the state biologist about it.He said that they would probably never close the rifle season now that its opened, but our area was down 20% on deer numbers this year.He did mention closing the november antlerless season,and possibly lowering the number of doe tags so that most antlerless tags would be sold before dec 15th when the january antlerless tags go on sale.We will see,its not just up to one person.

Oh ya! He did say that if someone was just walking there dog or just walking through your property that he cant write a trespass ticket unless they have been warned first.He said it has always been that way.

Oh ya! He did say that if someone was just walking there dog or just walking through your property that he cant write a trespass ticket unless they have been warned first.He said it has always been that way.

I'm more than skeptical on this.

So let's say I'm just walking through your house and you haven't warned me before not to.......

Top Bottom