Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Buck Competition!! Get em!

I'm more than skeptical on this.

So let's say I'm just walking through your house and you haven't warned me before not to.......

its stupid, but thats the way it is. I watched a case here at home get thrown out because of that very rule. Its retarded and I think there oughta be some rewrite for the law.... but as it stands now that is the way it is.

Here's your stats

Deer shot as of Jan 11, 2011
http://bickal.home.mchsi.com/deer.htm

Deer shot as of Feb 1, 2011
http://bickal.home.mchsi.com/deer2010.htm

Here are some statewide stats

905 shed bucks got shot before Late Antlerless.
908 shed bucks got shot during Late Antlerless.

% shed bucks shot before Late Antlerless was 0.77%
% shed bucks shot after Late Antlerless was 1.43%

11,838 button bucks got shot before Late Antlerless.
1,307 button bucks got shot during Late Antlerless.

% does shot before Late Antlerless was 49.33%
% does shot after Late Antlerless was 51.29%

Last edited:
Here's your stats

Deer shot as of Jan 11, 2011
http://bickal.home.mchsi.com/deer.htm

Deer shot as of Feb 1, 2011
http://bickal.home.mchsi.com/deer2010.htm

Here are some statewide stats

905 shed bucks got shot before Late Antlerless.
908 shed bucks got shot during Late Antlerless.

% shed bucks shot before Late Antlerless was 0.77%
% shed bucks shot after Late Antlerless was 1.43%

11,838 button bucks got shot before Late Antlerless.
1,307 button bucks got shot during Late Antlerless.

% does shot before Late Antlerless was 49.33%
% does shot after Late Antlerless was 51.29%

Your last stat of % of does shot after late antlerless is only 51.29, it is a doe season yet half the deer killed are bucks. Seems to defeat the purpose of reducing the doe population when half the deer that are killed are a buck of some sort.

Your last stat of % of does shot after late antlerless is only 51.29, it is a doe season yet half the deer killed are bucks. Seems to defeat the purpose of reducing the doe population when half the deer that are killed are a buck of some sort.

Im not stating any opinions of my own here, just posting the statistics for you guys. So dont kill the messenger.

75% of the deer killed during late season were reported as doe, however the data are only as accurate as the people who are reporting them.

117,580 total deer harvested before late season
58,003 does 49.33%
59,577 bucks 50.67%

9,484 total deer harvested during late season antlerless
7,169 does 75.59%
2,315 bucks 24.41%

Of the bucks harvested during late season
1,307 button buck
908 shed buck
100 antlered buck

Last edited:
Im not stating any opinions of my own here, just posting the statistics for you guys. So dont kill the messengar.

75% of the deer killed during late season were reported as doe, however the data are only as accurate as the people who are reporting them.

58,003 does 49.33%
59,577 bucks 50.67%

7,169 does 75.59%
2,315 bucks 24.41%

1,307 button buck
908 shed buck
100 antlered buck

Wasnt trying to kill the messenger on that one, I was just shocked at your findings.

It would be nice if we could get the statistics for the entire year broken down by season. Im curious to know how many of the 905 shed bucks were shot during the 3 weeks of late muzzle loader versus the 3 weeks of shotgun season(s)

Next year I will take snapshots for each season as it happens.

I am also curious to know why in counties that were closed during late season antlerless why there were harvests reported. For example, Linn County had 36 deer reported.

Last edited:
It would be nice if we could get the statistics for the entire year broken down by season. Im curious to know how many of the 905 shed bucks were shot during the 3 weeks of late muzzle loader versus the 3 weeks of shotgun season(s)

Next year I will take snapshots for each season as it happens.

I am also curious to know why in counties that were closed during late season antlerless why there were harvests reported. For example, Linn County had 36 deer reported.

I believe depredation tags would be your answer but im not sure

It is open year round, don't forget about depredation tags. Those make me want to puke more than the rifle season, but the rifle season is a close 2nd.
I'm guessing that you do not farm for a living or rely on any sort of agriculture for income. If you did you may feel differently about the animals that are eating thousands of dollars out of you pocket.

Im not stating any opinions of my own here, just posting the statistics for you guys. So dont kill the messenger.

58,003 does 49.33%
59,577 bucks 50.67%

7,169 does 75.59%
2,315 bucks 24.41%

1,307 button buck
908 shed buck
100 antlered buck

Nearly 25% of the deer harvested during late antlerless were bucks. For a season that is only suppose to be for does that seems to be way to high. Too many people think they are shooting a "big doe," only to find a shed buck upon tracking. I wonder how many people find sheds and think, "man this will be a good looking buck next year!" to never see it again. I wonder how many of you guys in southern Iowa find nice sheds or think a deer made it through the season but never see it again or see got anymore trail cam pics of him because of this.

Holy smokes that took a while to get caught up on....this might be kind of late in the game for this thread, but its good food for thought I guess.

I've put this out there many times on here in hopes that people truly see what can happen.....here it is one more time for those that haven't read it.

I moved to MN in 2005. Prior to moving here (in the early 2000s, MN had the overpopulation "problem" and residents were allowed to shoot 5 deer a piece (4 does, 1 buck) for 3 seasons in a row according to my neighbors. They went out and whacked and stacked them...I've seen the pictures of PILES of deer in machine sheds and hunters with giant grins on their faces.

In 2005 when I moved here (central MN) hunters were allowed to kill 3 deer during the 2005 - 2007 seasons in most of the southern half of the state (northern was and IS still 5 in some areas). 2008 to now - we can kill ONE, yes ONE DEER period no matter what weapon ALL SEASON. If you want to kill a doe with a gun (bow is still either sex, but still only one) you have to apply in a LOTTERY to get a lottery tag and if you kill that doe you are DONE in the lottery areas which is more than half the state. Don't believe me...get on the MN DNR page and look at the maps of the "lottery" areas and see how much of the state is affected by years of overharvest.

I loved deer hunting with a passion and I left ALASKA of all places to come back to my roots and deer hunt again but landed in MN because of jobs, wifes family, etc - now I almost don't even think about deer hunting other than when I'm on this site because it is pathetic where I live. After 3 seasons of bowhunting here and rarely ever even seeing a deer I've hung it up, found new hobbies, and now only shotgun hunt for a few days because to me spending time in the tree bowhunting watching squirrels just got old. This past season was the first year I applied for a lottery doe permit because I had not shot a deer since 2006 and even though I know in my heart they need to ban all doe hunting here for a few years to let the population recover I also wanted some venison again since the wife doesn't like buck tag soup.

You guys talk about driving around and seeing deer in the evenings?? Ha...right. Good luck with that here. Honest to god I literally cannot remember when the last time was that I saw a buck feeding in a field and I live in the country and drive 30 miles of county highway to work every day through ground that looks identical to most of Iowa.

So these numbers took how long to achieve? Our lottery season (KILL ONE) started in 2008? So if MN hunters could shoot 5 in the early 2000s, that took what....8 years to accomplish the numbers needed to gererate a "lottery" system to kill a doe with a gun? How many more years of whacking and stacking the does can IA truly handle?? Iowas whacking and stacking the doe program has gone on for how many years now?? 4? 5? What are many complaining about?? Low numbers already?? If the state keeps it up, guys with the sanctuaries will still be happy but what about the rest of the state? Is there still decent deer hunting in MN? Sure...in POCKETS....just like what you are seeing there right now and has been stated on this website over and over this season.

Luckily Tommy showed me how to catch muskies and I have something to do in the fall now. :D

WELL FOLKS, I guess we can forget the drum-roll, Jclaws let the cat out of the bag........
well the season is finally over and it was van buren couty by a long shot.
van buren-115
davis-85
clayton-81
appanoose-67
wayne-59
Bad thing is i think that some of my fellow davis county hunters were probably holding out, cause im betting that there were alot more shed bucks shot and not reported.
Maybe next year

Let's take a few hours and reflect on this memorable shed buck contest experience... YEAR 1 of the contest - the way it sounds will be MANY MORE to come. Some highlights... with total surprise and dismay, here's the results of the late season poll on the support here of members to keep the season or to give it the boot....

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=27

About 90% wanting it to go away or change significantly. THANKFULLY, I ran a "SECRET POLL" with members on the side as to "How many of you LOVE the Shed Buck Competition and want it to stay, flourish & grow by leaps and bounds each season?" Well, the results are also in there, out of all the members, 114% say this was the best, most life-transforming contest of their lives. I had feedback from most of you- all around the world as a matter of fact (a shout out to my buddy Chang in Thailand! He's hunting some miniature weird looking bucks in the jungle that have a gift of shedding really early). The feedback was this was the most memorable, life changing contest you've ever been involved in!

MEMORIES, sweet memories :rolleyes:.............

One of my favorite days was about 2 weeks ago, me and 2 friends pulled up to a group ready to push a WHOLE block/section of land about 4 miles from my farm in SOUTHERN IA. We counted 11 trucks and on ONE side of the road alone had 19 guys, on the south side we counted 9. As the drive started, we knew we may be witnessing history with the biggest shed buck of the year going down!!!?!?!? Well, after all the smoke cleared, all the deer were toasted and all the grenade trip-wires had been sprung, THREE SHED BUCKS, FOUR BUTTON BUCKS & 14 DOES HAD BEEN TURNED INTO HAMBURGER. It was a glorious day. :drink1: Lots of entertainment. Downside- no one met the criteria of winning the Shed-buck contest BUT they assured us they would be back to try again! UNFORTUNATELY, these guys were boycotting the DNR's Shed Buck contest and not calling the deer in (according to them) because they wanted to dedicate all their time and effort into entering their shed bucks in our contest.

A few days later, about 2 counties away, I met a group who shot 3 shed bucks next to a neighbor's land they hated, couldn't stand the guy SO they purposely shot the shed bucks to spite him & to put themselves closer to the trophy of this contest.

I tell you, we did our part to seek out the Shed buck winners, we hit the lockers, posted fliers on telephone poles for "GIANT SHED BUCKS WANTED" for our contest, ran ads- we weren't disappointed!!! We've had hundreds of trophies entered, unfortunately & fortunately, only the best can win.

Yours truly is feeling like quite the FAILURE as of today: Yes, we shot 9 does - I looked far and wide for the biggest shed buck I could find in the neighborhood BUT I fell short. I do not have the skills of the other groups we ran into. I felt humbled, a bit ashamed YET a bit hopeful for next season.

The Shed Bucks of Iowa 2012 Calendar will be out next December, we have some hot babes like any typical calendar does- (OK- flat chested women to mimic the hornless bucks of this contest) holding some shed bucks with GIANT pedicles, bucks with some MASSIVE bodies- this calendar is one you'll want to hang in your special spot. The list of Celebrities are growing by the day for banquets, sponsorships and awards. Be sure to stop by our booth at the Classic- Shed Bucks of Iowa and www.shedbucksofiowa.com We'll have a station in the deer measurement area to measure your pedicle size, compare your kill to the giant set of sheds you find AND verify body weights of your trophy's.

Folks, let's set your sights on next year. I'm exited, I know you are. Next Shed Buck season will be here before you know it!!! Stay tuned folks and if you watch the "VS. Channel", be sure to check our new TV show out on Wednesday night at 7 pm, "Shed Buck Mania" starring Richard Simmons, Larry the Cable Guy and Randy Jackson from American Idol. :way: Heck, even though the legal season is over, we're still accepting entries until March 1st with the use of vehicles in the harvest, good luck to all!!!. :drink2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom