Shed hunting public land northeast iowa

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by November 7, Mar 10, 2017.

1. November 7

November 7 New Member

Anyone find any deadheads on public land northeast Iowa. I wounded a nice buck and spent 5 days looking for him. I know he died,it unfortunately was a gut shot. Early November, still can't sleep over this.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. mumms

mumms mumms

What public land was this on?

4. November 7

November 7 New Member

Coon Creek

5. mumms

mumms mumms

I have walked a fair part of that property this year and did not find any dead heads, Sorry I was no help, been in your shoes and hate that feeling

6. November 7

November 7 New Member

Thanks for the input. I still haven't been out shed hunting. There was an awesome 13 pointer on that land with 7 points on one side. He never gave me a shot. Hopefully someone finds him. I was more on the far Northwest side where I shot my buck. Sad part is that he could have gotten to the river and floated away.

7. mumms

mumms mumms

Were you hunting down by the dam

8. November 7

November 7 New Member

Not far from the dam. About 500 yards west of the dam. How about you? You hunt there any this year? Find any sheds out there? I feel it gets hit hard shed and deer hunting.

9. Oct-Lull

Oct-Lull Active Member

It gets pounded shed hunting, from before our season ends til turkey. I know of some who walk it several times a week. Ran into non res guys shed hunting late season, guess they couldn't wait. That being said I only have found one dead head there ever, most of the time the head is already gone. I've seen where it looked like a bus load of people walked in from some of the parking lots. Gun season is a war zone, archery is pretty busy after Nov 1st. Many times there isn't much parking space left at the dam those first weeks of November. Usually walk there a few times so I may find one yet. Always figured I'd hunt that ridge west of the dam but have yet to actually do it.

10. November 7

November 7 New Member

That ridge is awesome but the thermals really mess with the wind up there. I tried sitting by the short pines near the agriculture field. It seems like the deer can pick you off long before you see them. I'm going to come out next Saturday and try another spot further south and west. Maybe it will have less guys. I have 3 years until I can get another tag. Plenty of time to search. Good luck guys.

11. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Active Member

Me and a buddy hunted coon creek late season. Very barron by that time of year. Had a group of muzzleloader hunters walk through when we were bowhunting.(it was my first time hunting coon creek) I'm not sure what to think of the place. To many people.

12. mumms

mumms mumms

I had a tag three years ago and opted to hunt some different properties that we had pictures of better deer on and not as much hunting pressure, as far as shed hunting goes always pick up a few there but like everyone else has said seems to be a lot of competition there