"Shed Hunting Season/License Opinions"

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by davidcave, Aug 8, 2017.

1. davidcave

davidcave New Member

Hello Guys,

I recently read a post in the "General" forum about shed closures and seemed appropriate subject for this forum. Why should there be any season, license, or bag limit?

I'll start with my opinion: I do not believe in shed hunting closures, seasons, or bag limits (which haven't been mentioned yet... but there are bag limits for everything else the DOW regulates). In all the years I've been shed hunting I have never trespassed, stolen, harassed, chased, stressed or pushed deer or elk in order to get an antler, NEVER!

I'm aware that it happens. During all the times over all the years I've been shed hunting, and that's a lot, I 've only seen another person in the same area 3 times. I find more dead animals on my first few outings than I find in subsequent outings; meaning they died from the stress of people hiking for antlers.

I understand that survival during winter months is tough on wild game. I must say in all the seasons I've shed hunted the game I come across is not running away in a frantic dash for their life like they do in an instant during hunting season. Maybe that's because they don't have the energy to waste, and I steer way-clear of'em as soon as I notice them around.

As far as a license goes, it always seems to me that when there is enough public interest in something (take marijuana in CO for example) someone or some agency wants to regulate it. Apologize for the verbose opinion, but I don't believe taking a walk through public forests, no matter what time of year, needs to be regulated. When I go cut firewood in late winter or early spring to keep the fireplace crackling, if I see a shed antler, I'm going to pick it up and thank my good fortune.

Thanks

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
    References:
    - http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID18/5951.html
    - Feedback Management System Video Examples.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

I agree. What is a license going to do to help regulate shed hunting? Its not going to make more sheds or ensure the future of shed antlers in the winters to come. They are going to be there regardless. Managing the animals themselves is different, but a shed antler laying on the ground, no.

I don't plan to ever spend money on a license to pickup a shed antler in IA. I can understand in some regions no allowing it during the toughest times of the winter, but not in IA.

4. Sligh1

Sligh1 Well-Known Member

If every person picked up every last shed- no harm. Kill every last animal or every last fish - that's ONE reason why we regulate things as that is harmful in many regards.

No on licensing for things that are 100% renewable & no real impact from a 100% yearly consumption.

5. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 PMA Member

Agree with Skip. No license.

The only reason you see it in other states for other animals is to protect the animals. Out west where there is vast pieces of public land, jackasses were harassing animals and in some cases driving them to higher dangerous elevations. So, to ensure people didn't go too early they invented shed season. In Iowa, if you go to early, the worst you are doing is driving deer to the neighbors farm to lose their antlers there. Completely different that what was happening out west with people chasing elk in pickup trucks.

6. Jordan46

Jordan46 Member

They could solve all the problems if they just made it illegal to sell antlers

7. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

That would only drive the demand/price higher! Seriously prosecuting trespassing would be a good step towards dealing with whatever problems shed hunting poses in Iowa.

8. 2-bucks

2-bucks Member

NO! For the reasons stated above and more regulations in our lives is in general not a good thing.