Shed Hunting

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by brandon, Dec 19, 2001.

1. brandon

brandon Guest

hi, im new to this and i was wondering when the best time to start looking for sheds would be? I was also wondering if there are any specific places to look, like under trees or some places like that. Thanks!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. muddy

muddy Administrator

Brandon-

Try looking in picked corn fields, alfalfa, or winter wheat fields after the snow melts in the spring. Of course we'll need snow first. I tend to find sheds in these areas when they butt up against very heavy brushy draws or bedding areas. The deer aren't moving as much in the dead of winter and will usually continue to use the same feeding areas that are the easiest to access. The new Bowhunter magazine that just came out has a really good article on shed hunting if you're interested in a little more info. The main thing is patience and persistence, this spring I stomped for the better part of a whole day and didn't find anything, in the last 45 minues of light I found 6 sheds that would've came off 3 1/2 year old deer and will all of them would be over pope & Young. I may have gotten home after dark but the smile on my face was WAY worth it! Oh yeah, FYI, I found all of the antlers within the same field. Look for the winter feeding areas and then stomp 'em in the spring is your best bet. Hope this long post helps you out!

Good Luck

MW

4. shedhunter

shedhunter Guest

Go to a sityer called Shed hunter www.antlertrap.net. They have shed seasomns posted there for N.America. They also sell the only feeder that converts to a shed collector during shed season. You gotta check out this site, Great pictures and stradagies.www.antlertrap.net <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brandon:
    hi, im new to this and i was wondering when the best time to start looking for sheds would be? I was also wondering if there are any specific places to look, like under trees or some places like that. Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5. shedhunter

shedhunter Guest

Lots of factors, however over the p[ast few years the earliest sheds reported to us were on Dec. 17 latest march 29 in your area. With our shed hunter feeders we suggest converting them from a feeder to a shed collector on Dec 30 in your area. if you need more detailed info go to our site or contact me directly through our email. Gary www.antlertrap.net
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brandon:
    hi, im new to this and i was wondering when the best time to start looking for sheds would be? I was also wondering if there are any specific places to look, like under trees or some places like that. Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>