Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Lab Puppies

Millercreek

We have seven pups out of our two shed dogs. They are 4 weeks old as of last Saturday. Both parents hunt sheds. The male is Chocolate, blocky build. The female is Black and a more slimmer build. These dogs are AKC registered as are the pups. Both parents have the nose for the job and are fun to hunt with. Plenty of drive and brains in these dogs. The pups are all black and there are 4 males and 3 females. They will be ready at 8 weeks and they are $300.00 per pup (male or female). $100.00 will hold the pup till they are ready to go.
These dogs also have a fine background for birds in thier pedigree. No need for this in Mid Missouri for me. Most likley could get the pups delivered to No rthern Mo if needed. Any questions just ask, this is also on the Missouri Whitetails site. millercreek@socket.net
Will try to post pics. See if it works. If not just get in touch and I can get you some.
files
files
files
files

If it's a money issue i'm not against trades. But know that these are not just labs we call shed hunters they really help us hunt them.

How do you put up "shed" title to your dogs if you don't mind me asking? Do the parents shed hunt so you stick that title on the pups? Did the parents win a title as shed hunters?

The way I see it, puttin "shed " on the pups is like putting "bird dog " on pups out of duck dogs. The parents are proven "bird dogs" so they assume the pups will be also. NO doubt these pups are not proven "shed "dogs at 8 weeks old, but their parents are, in my mind "shed dogs". That's what they do. Since there is no actual "shed dog" field trials to attend and award points or titles to the AKC numbers of the parents, all I have to go on is that these pups chances of becoming great "shed dogs" are better than the average Lab pup.

You should check out NASHDA. Fairly new organization from my understanding, but so is the popularity of using a shed dog. However I'm going to have to disagree with you on the upland and waterfowl title dogs can be given under the reasoning of the fact its been around for a very long time and that's what the Labrador breed was breed for. Now not disagreeing with the fact your dogs won't shed hunt but to be honest with you, you could go to your pound for a 100.00 and get a great dog if he had the drive and could be a great hunting partner.

For sure, the field trials for upland and waterfowlers have been around for some time. But they started somewhere and it grew to what it is today only by people finding enjoyment in what they were doing. Someday it may be the same for "Shed dogs"
Also true, about the pound and being able to find a great dog that would make a great hunting partner. No doubt in my mind, but what I am counting on is if you keep dogs that have the qualities you are looking for " drive" , "nose", "stamina", "trainability" you would think this might be magnified in the litter and carried on to the offspring and so on. Now you have a little better chance of finding what you want as to not knowing where the pups came from on terms of temperment and abilities in previous generations. Just as pups out of Champion upland dogs are being looked at to have aquired those attributes of thier parents,( which I believe to be true for the most part) They are sold based on that bloodline's history. I'm veiwing it the same across the board.
On a side note: I thought the labradors where first used for retreiving floating fishnets and bringing them back to the fishing boats in Europe? I read this somewhere years ago, of course it doesn't make it true, but I did think it was cool!

i think it's fair to call them "shed dogs" if that's what they're bred and trained to do. hell, it wasn't that many year's ago that you'd never heard of a "pointing lab". now you see pointing labs advertised all over the place.

how do you think every breed in existence today came to be? had to start somewhere.

I also think it's fair to call them shed dogs. I have either trained or assisted in the training of three pups now to find sheds. My chocolate lab is great at it, but the other two I helped my buddies train didn't turn out too good.

Top Bottom