Shed poaching

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by MN Hunter, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Active Member

Stayed out of our farm until yesterday only to find people tracks. What a sickening feeling. Others that have dealt with this, what have you done to catch the s.o.bs. I had 6 cameras out but they avoided all of them. They weren't well hidden and mainly around the food source. One of the worst feelings in the world. Put in all the hard work and stay out until the time is right. Only to have it ruined.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. breckhawk

breckhawk Active Member

Been there. Absolutely sucks. Came to find out it was a neighbor that we 'trusted'. He knew the hours we worked and would walk every Wednesday (it seemed) knowing we weren't around. I decided to head out to the farm one day just on a hunch. As my truck pulled in around 10 AM on a Wednesday last February his 4 wheeler high tailed it out. I had my binos though and saw plain as day who it was.

Confronted him and he still didn't confess. This is a guy with a 400 Acre dream farm too. He has to find 20 sheds a year on it. We hunt an 80 acre piece adjacent to his. Went from finding 5-10 sheds a year on it to a big goose egg the last 2. Greedy SOB.

It's one of those things you really can't stop. If I had the time I would put a shed out in plain sight on a prime day....then hide somewhere I could see it....kind of a sting operation. When the person shows up.....fire a few shots into the dirt. I think they would get the point. Just impossible to know for sure which day :)

For those of you that have not experienced this....you are very lucky. It scores right up there with losing your hunting property as one of the worst feelings a hunter can have.

4. DeerHunter3

DeerHunter3 Member

As I sit here reading this on this lovely Monday morning I cant help but feel your pain as well! I just made the trip to my yesterday that we had waited all year to shed hunt only to find footprints and a very small amount of sheds! This farm means a lot to me and is literally one of my favorite places of all time! When does this end? Where is the line drawn? Will the new trespassing bill pass? How can we blow this up enough to make these miserable pukes that do this stop? Us guys spend to much time and work to hard for this to happen. Not to mention the low lifes that tromped through there likely have no history or will ever have history with these bucks!!!

I would like everyone to join apart of some sort of shed poaching thread to expose these individuals.

We have to make a push to get the severity of the punishment upped!!!

HAPPY MONDAY!

5. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

It definitely sucks. I went to my #1 place earlier to have zero sheds and a new covert stolen. And a few years ago had a trail cam pic of a guy carrying a lot of sheds out. No good pic of the face though. I like the idea of putting one out in plain site and hiding a camera

6. muddy

muddy Administrator

A fee members here have placed decoy sheds in front of hidden cams, gotten trespassers, and prosecuted them. Good luck

7. Rich77

Rich77 Member

Had what was a very good friend pull this stunt on me this year... walked behind all the cams because he knew where they were. An assault charge and the loss of my gun rights doesn't seem like a good alternative. I think I made my point very clear and I'm fairly confident that it won't happen again. Yeah they are just antlers but it is what we work for all year, just to have someone else reap the rewards.
    It takes alot to really get me mad and to say I was mad would be the understatement of the year.

8. Boonervilleusa

Boonervilleusa Well-Known Member

I talked to a young guy this weekend that said he just sold $1000 worth of sheds on craigslist. Made me wonder about him. Id bet thats why most shed poaching happens...$$$. That's what makes me mad. I wouldn't sell my sheds for any amount. Especially ones from deer I have history with

9. Jdubs

Jdubs Well-Known Member

A 6 inch antler chew for a dog is $20 in outdoor stores.

10. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

Same thing on our farm this year. I literally after this shed season want to quit shed hunting all together. The joy is over. I almost dread shed season because all it causes is me to get paranoid. Just like you all my cams are in open areas either on a food plot or baited trying to get a feel for when bucks shed. All my cams were erased and set to setup mode. So it is almost like they know me and do me a favor by not taking my stuff.

It is sad that a guy has to go to ALL OF THAT WORK of planting sheds and hiding cams to find shed poachers. Every year my love for deer hunting and my enthusiasm has went down the past 4-5yrs. I inevitably get home from time away from family and already feel guilty for being gone only to have nothing to show for the time. This might be the first year I really look into a new hobby (fly fishing). I sometimes think I put too much pressure on myself in terms of goals and expectations set each year, but man sure seems to be a lot outside influences affecting my outcomes.

11. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

I wouldn't quit, then the shady guys win. I can understand the frustration though, I'd be upset too. Too bad people's greed overcomes respect for others property. I'd say these guys are pretty cocky in that they know where your cams are and reset them to setup mode. I think that arrogance means they can be caught in the act with some hidden cams and effort.

12. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Was that in MN? It is getting worse, guys in remote areas of SD say they are starting to see guys shed poaching.

13. chappy73

chappy73 New Member

Didn't see this thread but posted an experience I had 2 weekends ago. Getting sick of this stuff.

14. chappy73

chappy73 New Member

Mushroom hunters are a problem as well. Have a couple of pics of one old lady. Puts sacks over places she's found them for the next year.

15. Birdshot

Birdshot New Member

I recently got a lease and every time I would go out there would be fresh boot and 4 wheeler tracks . Put up a bunch of no trespassing signs and that did nothing . It's about 40 minutes away from home and I don't go out there often enough to catch them in the act. Found zero sheds on the lease .

I also have sole shed hunting permission on a landowners 4 pieces of ground . Once the weather got nice i started finding boot tracks. Good thing I got to those pieces early and found some before they did. It seems to be getting worse every year.

16. I know a guy who makes knives, jewelry, etc out of antlers and pays good money for them. In one year he acquired 800+ sheds and dished out roughly 2700$...... This stuff will never end if you trespass get a small fine, the profit out weighs the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  17. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

New hobby...hunting shed poachers (with hidden cams/decoy and waiting for them to come along, not with a gun!).

18. 6Popes1Booner

6Popes1Booner Member

Same thing happened to me as the original poster. Pretty ballsy, they even walked right in our cabin. They had to walk a mile to get there. No Trespassing signs don't work. Ridiculous!

19. Jordan46

Jordan46 Member

If people stopped supporting shed buyers there would be a lot less poaching

20. Gutteddeer

Gutteddeer Member

I'm in the same boat as all you guys. I watch the deer all winter and wait til the time is right and I go in only to find boot tracks. Very depressing. It sucks how big the sport has gotten. I used to post on social media in the past but now I keep my mouth shut and try not to attract attention. I think social media is the down fall of the sport along with money being involved now. I try to pick them up as they fall now doing my best to avoid bumping the deer. I love when it snows cuz it let's me sleep at night knowing the sheds are safe at least for a little while. What can you do though, no way to stop trespassers. Maybe stripping hunting rights or something would do the trick, who m knows.

Falldreams likes this.
  21. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Active Member

I have been shed hunting since 1990. Times have sure changed. It not even fun anymore, just like hunting. Because someone is always trying to trespass or do something illegal. I don't own the deer but my family sure as hell owns the land. I have history with multiple bucks. I have repositioned my cameras. I will be getting a cellular trail cam and am in process of custom made shed poacher signs. This will end and it won't end nicely for the poacher. I put in too much time in habitat improvements only for someone to take advantage of it. This is in Minnesota. I use to walk a lot in Iowa before the shed craze hit. Now I've been walking close by trying to keep an eye on things but obviously I wasn't watching close enough.