Sheds From The Road?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Admin, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator

Has anyone ever spotted a shed while driving? I found one the other day while cruising around, it was laying out in a beanfield. I have to admit I was looking, always do when I am driving this time of year. I realize it's not exactly safe but I still keep my eyes on the road most of the time [​IMG]

TLH

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. pete

pete Member

I found a small shed in a hayfield that I had been checking every day on my way to work. I know it wasn't there that morning I'm sure I would have seen on my drive by.
    I also found one in a road ditch two years ago when my friend was driving.

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 04-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 04-08-2001).]

4. HBH

HBH Guest

TLH,

It dont work that way for me. Kinda makes me sick when my buddy in Alberta tells of picking up a set "Oh go about 180" or so nothing huge" on the way to the store. Course I tell him he's full of it and then just stare when he sends a photo.

HBH

5. Admin

Admin Administrator

HBH,

How does the saying go, "I'd rather be lucky than good any day".

TLH

PS, maybe it's the other way around?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have found two from the road. One was pure luck, was driving along about 30mph and saw about 6" of the end of the main beam sticking up in some limbs from a deadfall. Had I not looked directly at it I believe it still would be laying there. Found another side 1/4 mile away from that shed from the road too, the next day. Suprised the heck out of me, two different antlers that close together, both spotted from a car. I'll take em when I can get em!

7. BIG GUY

BIG GUY Guest

I've never found a shed while driving, even though my wife says I spend more time searching fields than I spend watching the road. I came pretty close this year. I was driving home after shed hunting and saw a group of deer a 1/4 mile out in a field. I stopped to glass them to see if any had horns. While glassing I saw something that looked alot like a shed so I cranked up the power on the spotting scope and there lay a 56" 4 point.

8. cedartree

cedartree Guest

ive found 4 total from the raod. i found two from the road saturday. one was a 55" 4 point, the other was a 61" 4pt. on the way to get the big one, i spotted another 4pt, that one was 42".

9. Travis

Travis Guest

The other weekend my dad and I were driving down the highway when I thought I spotted a whitetail shed laying on the other side of the fence by the road. We backed up and sure anough it was a 7 point whitetail shed with a 4 inch droptine from what looked to be last year! I figure a coyote or dog drug it out there because Im sure it wouldnt have layed there for a year without some one spotting it.

heres a pic of it.

[​IMG]

We have also spotted a couple elk sheds way up on open slopes from our vehicle while spotting for them. [​IMG]

10. IAdroptine

IAdroptine PMA Member

Great find Travis, wish I had that type of road hazards around here.

11. TJF

TJF Member

I have only found one along the road while driving. Any place I see a deer trails crossing the road in the winter, I always slow down and look.

Tim

12. Admin

Admin Administrator

Wow, what a great find, thanks for sharing!

TLH

13. Iowa1

Iowa1 New Member

Okay I gotta tell my story. I was fishing up by Morson, Ontario in October a few years ago and we were coming back down that long, narrow blacktop desolate pulling my boat with my buddy driving his pickup. I was just watching as we drove when I thought I saw what looked like three upright tines sticking up out in a clearing. I couldn't believe it would really be a shed only 50 yards from the road, and in October no less. I just figured I was seeing things. But it was bugging me like crazy for about five minutes when I finally blurted, "we gotta go back, I can't stand it." So we found a place to turn the rig around and went back. I found the place again and walked out there. It was a 76-inch five point with the other side lying right beside it with the points down!!!! the match was 74 inches. Unbelieveable. Thank goodness I went back. Unfortunately, that set and all my other good ones were destroyed in a fire last November.

14. IAdroptine

IAdroptine PMA Member

Iowa1,
    Good story, Bad ending. Hope your life is getting back to some kind of normal.

Keep an eye out!

Mike

15. Guest

Guest Guest

We had to share this photo from one of our favorite hunting magazines! We called Garry Donald yesterday of Big Buck Magazine and he gave us the ok to publish. By the way, Mike Borle ( Northern Whitetail ) has had some great articles in this magazine, it's worth getting, comes out of Canada.

[​IMG]

Can you see the shed? BigBuckMagazine

16. JLC

JLC New Member

Here is a picture I have on my site. Bob Oden from Waukon found it years ago when driving back from Decorah.
    Jack http://www.geocities.com/vf32ae2/oden.html

[This message has been edited by JLC (edited 04-10-2001).]

17. cedartree

cedartree Guest

JLC,
    I shed hunt near Decorah alot, and I was just wondering how close to Decorah Bob found that antler.

18. IAdroptine

IAdroptine PMA Member

JLC, thanks for sharing the photo of Bob's big shed with us us shed addicts. Thats what we all dream about, big sheds.

While on the subject, just got off the phone with my brother, he found a large shed from the road on his way home after 3 1/2 hours of hunting prime ground whitout spotting a thing. It was where eneryone in the county could and would have found it if not for the deep drifts that kept the road closed until this week. He guessed around 70 inches, I will let you know after I pick it up this weekend. Great brother, he lets me have all the sheds he finds, can't beat that.

19. Admin

Admin Administrator

JLC,

Nice shed, scary pic of you [​IMG]

Got your bow ready to thump a big Tom (again) this year?

Nice to have you on the site!

TLH

20. IAdroptine

IAdroptine PMA Member

I was out with my brother today and picked up the big shed. Super 5 point with a kicker off the 9" brow tine. Measures 73 2/8", will post photos when back. Mike

21. T-Buck

T-Buck Guest

About two weeks ago a couple of my friends were out driving looking for deer. We pulled into a resort road. Many deer have been wintering in this area. The weather had been warm the previous couple of days and much of the snow had melted. I spotted an antler about twelve feet from the road. It was laying tines down in a puddle of water under a spruce. Only a portion of the main beam was showing. My friend first thought it was a tree root when i told him were to look. It was a 56 inch four point with a 1 1/4 sticker coming off the base.