Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun Opener

G

Well it looks like the weather will be cool and dry for most of the state Saturday. We look forward to your hunting stories and photo's. Don't forget to take a camera with you hunting, photo's in the field look so much better than in the garage. We hope everyone has a safe and successful gun hunt.

The Staff

Now that the snow has settled and the weekend is over anyone hearing of any nice bucks going down?

TLH

Just was told of a 170 class buck that went down the last day of the early archery season down in south central Iowa. Also know of a 200+ inch buck a little farther south that didn't make it through Saturday, went by a friend several days earlier but all he had was a doe tag.

Patrick

A reader ran this photo down, and what a great buck.

Congrats to Mark Glienke and his shotgun harvest!

Northeaster.jpg

Thats a great buck, where was it taken/how far was your shot?

A co-worker of mine's group harvested a 190+ 16 pointer over the weekend. Also heard rumor of Tony Knight's group got a 220+ but like I said it's just a rumor.

Ryan Scott harvested his first buck the other day and here he is...what a great buck!

Congrats Ryan,

ryan.jpg

We have over 10 inches of white stuff and 30 below winds over in Western Iowa, it could be tough hunting this week, the forecast doesn't show much of a let up.

closeupbuck.jpg

Photo by TLH

ran into a group of "hunters" in a bar during first shotgun season and asked how they were doing. they replied 9 bucks so far, up to 8 points. i asked them if they ever shot does and they replied they were going to do that tomorrow. when are the yahoos at the iowa dnr going to eliminate the party hunting travesty that passes for hunting in this state. it is a joke and a bad one at that.

I doubt party hunting will ever go away because if I'm not mistaken don't they have a "governor's hunt" or something like that every year when all the hunters that are law makers go on a big party hunt?

I agree, I think party hunting is too dangerous. Just in the area I was in, I heard a slug go zinging by,,,,,,that is a sound you just do not forget!!!! And, we weren't party hunting.

I have been a witness to some idiotic behavior during Iowa'a shotgun seasons.
I have watched resident hunters (or vehicles plated in Iowa) shoot from the back of pick-up trucks at running deer, while we were directly behind them, and other hunters were approaching them on a level B road.
I have a friend who just built a new home on his father-in-laws property, just to watch resident deer hunters shoot at deer in his cattle herd. His wife says that next year, she is going to pack up and rent a hotel room for her and their kids, during the shotgun seasons. She doesn't feel safe in their own home. That's pretty sad!
All they want to shoot are bucks.
This property happens to in Cass county. I bowhunt this property during bow season, but steer clear during the gun seasons.
I keep thinking the good hunters, out weigh the bad, until I see things like this.
I myself have, in the past, been involved in party hunting, but the description is wrong. It's not hunting...it's shooting.
Sorry, I guess I got on my soap box!

Micah35,

You hit it right on the nose! Chas's ground usually produces some nice bucks. I haven't seen any shooters yet, but I'm still trying. Chas is a good friend of mine, and his son-in-law and I go back almost 20 years.
I too am taking part in the late muzzleloader season. I usually hunt early muzzle, but missed the deadline this year.

I have seen several nice bucks on his land this year. One in particular was a very tall and had a possible 20in inside spread. I have also heard of two other real nice bucks that were saw during opening weekend of second season. I bowhunt the section right north of charles and in the section north of charles and east. Maybe we will run into each other during the season. If not good luck and be safe.
Micah

Matt, I am from cass county . From the description you gave of your friends home I bet you hunt around Cumberland and Massena. I too have seen this. My dad and I and some close friends used to hunt with them but just got sick of them shooting from the truck and running deer down with their trucks. So instead of giving up gun hunting we now hunt the late muzzleloader season. If I am right about where you are hunting did you see some nice bucks on Charles's ground?

[This message has been edited by Micah35 (edited 12-13-2000).]

Micah35,

Unfortunately, I don't get to the timber as much as I'd like. I live 60 miles west of there. I've heard of a few nice ones haunting the area. I'll be out there this weekend trying to get my new Knight rifle to print, what I consider, a nice group. I'll keep my eyes open.
You must be hunting the abandoned homestead to the north. That's the only other timber I can think of.
Good luck!

Top Bottom