Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgunning in Iowa?????

G

I would wonder how it would affect the Iowa deer herd if they would limit the number of people allowed to drive or push deer during the gun season. I understand that we need the season for good conservation of the herd, but how many perfectly healthy and mature deer are injured, never recovered and eventually die, not to mention human injury and fatality in the field. I,m all for gun hunters who want to sit on stand. I think it is the safest way. I stay the hell away from the woods during gun season. I see some real jokers out there and that behavior is the primary reason people are anti-hunt. Why doesn't Iowa require hunters to check deer in at check stations. It might help a little bit with the poaching problems in the state especially in southern Iowa. Just some thoughts????

I feel check stations would be a good idea.

As for the thumbs down on the shotgun hunters, I think your statements are a little bias. There are unethical bow hunters as well as shot-gunners. But as a group I would say most hunters are ethical. I realize we can all remember the negatives. But the positives of many will prevail.

I began shotgun hunting and have only good memories of deer drives, friends, and family.
Shotgunning were my first steps into the Whitetails world.

I am currently an avid bow hunter and pick up the smokepole during the late season.

I wonder how many bow hunters started with a shotgun?????????????

To the shotgun hunter out there, good luck and be safe. Even though bow hunters can tend to have blinders on when it comes to shotgunning, we are all deer seekers. All deer seekers need to stick together and look for some common ground.

Keep the posts positive and welcome all!

Well Tineseeker, I'm one bow hunter that started with a shotgun....I've hunted with shotgun, blackpowder, handgun, bow, and(rifle in states where permisable). Have hunted from stands, stalking, and drives. Agreed, all methods of take have their problem people....I think what's giving shotgun hunters the tainted image is the fact they can shoot other people's deer by party hunting....as posted elsewhere, it's obvious there are a lot of problems with this method of take. Party hunting has displayed the worst ethics and behavior of this sport I've ever seen.

I'm not new to hunting,...I've hunted over a dozen different states for species all over the country in the last 37 years....have been actively involved in a number of organizations at local, State, and National levels....so I talk to a lot of people through out the state....number one complaint stems from party hunting and trespassing....best way to clean up Iowa's tainted deer hunting image is to make everyone shoot their own deer and eliminate party hunting. I don't have a problem with drives, I have a problem with Mob mentality with many party hunters trying to see how many deer they can hose down.

Please show me the stone that is cut the words that one on one hunting is the only way.

It seems to me man did many things in the past to get the game he wanted. The emphasis on developing the deer herds abnormally to get the desired trophys we want to hunt so we can fuel our egos can be just as detestable as party hunting as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone know what real hunting is now days with our compound bows, in line muzzleloaders, high powered saboted shotguns, range finders, scents, decoys, charcoal suits......etc.....

I don't think any of us can say much about the other except I'm glad your are supporting hunting so maybe my Grandchildren can enjoy it their way as I have mine.

I think we have kicked this dead horse enough........JMHO

Try to enjoy yourself safely out there in your own way.....Best Wishes for the Holidays.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-13-2001).]

first of all I don't know how old you are "Tineseeker" but in case you haven't been hunting in the past 10 years let me inform you of some changes in overall deer hunting attitudes. Big racks = Big money. Good people will stretch the limits a little if it means getting a trophy. Why do you think every redneck with 200 acres is leasing ground, there is money in it. How much money do you think the corporate guy that doesn't even know what the rut is or when deer actually drop antler or for that fact what the actual deer herd is in their state, spends so he can get the rack on the wall so all of his cheesy friends will think he is some great outdoorsmen. They spend alot, the want results. How many hillbillies do you know that are so worried about outdoing their other hillbilly friends that they might go shine some deer kill a few, chop the heads off and let the body rot in the field so they can have the biggest rack? If youv'e been hunting in the past few years i'm sure you've heard similiar stories. I,m not putting down one hunting style from another I'm sick of stupid people getting the privelage to manage the states deer herd. I think there are better ways to gun hunt than some of the reckless ways I've seen in shotgunning. BW I dont think anybody is trying to hold their hunting preference higher than another, but if you want to look at from a saftey point of view, who wins? If you want to look at from a fair chase view who wins? God love bowhunting, I,m out.

Hey sludge, your missing the point, chief.bow hunters don,t hate gunners or whatever. I think there are better ways to manage the deer, that involve smaller hunting groups. Lets think about two words for a moment: "Fair Chase" & "Safety.

cool, I don't disagree in the least bit, some of the best ideas are one that were thrown against the wall just to see what would stick.

My main message should be and I as much as anybodies should be: that hunters need to stick together. All types and all forms but yes, there does need to be some rules to follow.

sure it seems to be a little to simple, but the power together is better for change to to let the change come to us.

I think more money should be spent on hiring more conservation officers to police and fine un-ethical hunters. I feel more public land should be purchased so we can all can enjoy it. It may mean more in license costs but in the long run maybe my child will have some quality ground he/ she can hunt on.

Unfortunately I feel a lot of old fashioned ethics/morals have been changing for the worst as a result of disjointed family and community dynamics and this is having a negative influence on people actions in and out of the woods.

It's easier for yahoos to pick up a gun and poach or unethically shoot deer than it is for them to pick up a bow or a mussel loader.

More conservation officers + Heftier consequences = less offences.

We need to do are part to. Teaching our children as well as our neighbors children what it means to be a safe and ethical hunter.

Iowa should have check stations.
Iowa should eliminate the free land owners tag.
Iowa deer hunter should police their own alot better. For sake of keeping the peace in the hunting party alot of hunters turn a blind eye to the $hi+ hunters the drag into the woods with them.
The almighty deer drive is'nt going to go away. Effective it most certainly is. Like a pack of hayena it has strength in numbers. Animal control agents, licensed by the state to control the deer numbers in a cost effective manner. Alot like the rattle snake round-ups out west.
When I think about it I realize I do most things in life the hard way it's no suprize I hunt the same way. I like to be self-sufficient. I'd rather fail alone and blame the odds,than at best be the "trigger man" in a collective success.
Yes, I started as a shotgunner many years ago. Funny how the whole thing has'nt changed.

IMHO,The ones that really love deer and hunting them are bowhunting them.I was one that bowhunted first and then tried slugging.I told the fellows that talked me into going shotgunning it was not much of a thrill,about like hunting huge rabbits.I went muzzle hunting for the first time this year.I went like I was bowhunting.This had some fun to it.But, nothing close to bow hunting.Next year I may try the late season muzzy and do some still hunting.Always wanted to try that.God bless all hunters and the good old USA.

Any body else out there start with a bow first.

I would agree with you Deerman if I had to give up all types of hunting except one, I’d stick with the bow!

Yep...I bowhunted first, tried gunnin' one year and said never again. Just not what I always envisioned hunting to be when I was growing up. I like late muzzleloader...no party hunting so the mobs are few and far between. Less do late muzzleloader than bowhunt I believe.

I shotgunned as a kid with the ol'man and his beer buddies. Did'nt learn much there. Picked up on archery while in the Corps (ain't talking peace corps) but only had the chance to gun hunt Iowa a couple times in the 8 years. Still hunted alone 3 years and always bagged a deer. Been bowhunting since I got out in 91'. I also Muzzle load. Last year that late season made me feel like Grizzly Adams with all that deep snow. So much solitude I decided to do it again this year. Freezer is over full so odds are I won't be doing much shootin. Good luck to all those late season hunters. Enjoy the solitude!

Bowhunted for 23 years before picking up the gun. Had tunnel vision pretty bad by then. (like I was the only real hunter out there) Tried to shotgun hunt with a buddy and we hunted his way which was traditional Iowa group hunt. I made it perfectly clear I would shoot my own deer and that was it.

I had been bowhunting too long, so that type of hunting did not work for me. I ended up with a muzzleloader and hunting one on one again and that seems to work for me. But Bowhunting is my first love and I am very thankful to have the rut to hunt. Would just as soon leave managing the deer to the experts.
smile.gif

Scout - Semper Fi!

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-16-2001).]

Top Bottom