Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I set another stand?

Hoffman

Sunday night had the buck I'm after come out at 30-40 min left in shooting hours. He came out of timber about 100-120 yards away. I only have one pic of him by my stand and that was a week ago. This is first time I've sat in stand. The stand is se of where he came out. So would you set another stand where you saw him or stay where you are?

It's early. I personally would move the camera to where he came out. If that's his natural route you will know it and then can hang your stand there.

That's hard to judge. The minute u hang another stand closer to where he comes out. Then he'll walk by ur other stand. It may be worth a shot. Guess if it was me I'd try it.

It's early. I personally would move the camera to where he came out. If that's his natural route you will know it and then can hang your stand there.

Agree it's early. Unless you are not gonna have much time to hunt. I personally don't like to pressure my ground any more than I have to when approaching pre-rut. The only time I even check cameras this time of year is when I'm actually going to hunt that day. If you think the bedding area is far from where you will be hanging the stand then you could try but really 100-200 yds is nothing come rut.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I agree with setting a camera where he came out (if available). I'm prone to setting my stands and never moving them, which works sometimes. Other times I keep wishing I would have moved it when I see deer out of range over and over. If there are more deer entering there or feeding nearby, it could be worth having another stand or moving your current stand. Also, would a stand there help you hunt different winds? Any chance you would be winded from that spot?

Last edited:
If the set would be solid for a wind you have coming, I'd hang and hunt it....He could run off the farm next week and never be seen again.

But I'd have to be 80% or better in confidence you could get in and out and hunt it without being busted.

I think I will move camera next time I hunt. I will not be able to hunt much but think I found my own answer. My stand currently is on main trail, so he will probably use it more in a few weeks. I also don't want to get too close to bedding area. I rattled just a bit softly, he was very curious but too smart to commit, lol
Thanks guys

Top Bottom