Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sight Pins in Low Light

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
My sight is a 5 pin Apex sight. I'm not even sure which one. It's been on my bow about 4 years or so. It has a sight light that I can turn in low light conditions if in a blind or at towards the end of shooting time. Only issue is is that the dial to turn the light on is very finicky and it will turn on sometimes without me meaning to and it has burned out a few times and I have to go buy a whole new light housing by TruGlo for it because that is all I have found that will fit in there.

When shooting in low light from the ground or a stand I can still see my pins fin, but when shooting from my ground blind, even in daylight (I have it set up in the yard now to practice) I can't see the color on my pins. It makes it really difficult to make a shot, and very frustrating knowing that there is a good 30 minutes of shooting time left and I can't see my pins.

Anyone have any suggestions? What do you do in low light conditions? I know not all even "top end" sights have a sight light, are the pins just that bright?
I have been wanting to get a new sight for a over a year now and as the season nears I better do it now if I am going to. I have been looking at getting a 5 pin IQ bowsite.

Any advice welcome

Last edited:
Some sights are brighter than others due to quality of Fiber Optics and how they are ran on the sight.
Look at the Black Gold lineup if you want a sight that is bright without a light - they are the brightest I have found (without using a light)

X2 for MBG! Never needed a light under any conditions. Brightest pins without light I've ever seen.

If a guy wanted to upgrade an old truglo sight on an old Q2 to one of these Black Gold sights, which one in the lineup would be sufficient?

If a guy wanted to upgrade an old truglo sight on an old Q2 to one of these Black Gold sights, which one in the lineup would be sufficient?

The RUSH series start under $99
We have them in stock if you want to see and handle one (along with several dozen other options)

Thanks. In your opinion would that be a great upgrade for me? Would I be unhappy not going with a more elite model from that company? Distance is too great to stop in and see them, but if you ship that works fine for me. I need to upgrade bows at some point, but am hoping to use this Q2 for a few more years. I got it in 2000. My work schedule doesn't allow for much bowhunting, so I usually focus on everything being right for IL shotgun season. That being said, I still want things in proper order for the few rut bowhunts I get each year. I usually try to keep my shots at a max of 30 yards. Definitely not past 35.

Give me a call if you want and I can go over the various models and options - i have about a dozen different Black Gold sights on hand
Boyd at Buck Hollow - 641-628-4586

It sounds like the real issue is that the knob to turn the light on is finicky. Any way to Jerry Rig it to make it work correctly? That's probably where I would start.

It sounds like the real issue is that the knob to turn the light on is finicky. Any way to Jerry Rig it to make it work correctly? That's probably where I would start.
I've tried to mess with it. The actual light housing/knob that comes with the sight you can't fix it, the battery was inside of it with no way to get the old batter out. Tru Glo makes light housing you can put in sights so that is what I've tried. I have had to buy a new light house 3 times now and they are like $20..so you can see why I just want to get a new sight.

I've tried to mess with it. The actual light housing/knob that comes with the sight you can't fix it, the battery was inside of it with no way to get the old batter out. Tru Glo makes light housing you can put in sights so that is what I've tried. I have had to buy a new light house 3 times now and they are like $20..so you can see why I just want to get a new sight.

Yup. Sounds like a good choice to just throw the thing in the trash.

Top Bottom