Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sighting in made easy !

Shovelbuck

Even old dogs can learn new tricks. I had read on another site a year or so ago this easy way to sight in.......................

<span style="color: #FF0000">12.5 Yards!!!!</span>

Sight in your muzzleloader at twelve and a half yards and you will find that it's dead on at 100. Through the years, I've fought sighting in. Always got it shooting center but it took awhile.
This method really works! Give it a try if you don't already do it this way. It will save you a lot of time and powder.
I used this method on two different guns last fall. One shooting sabots and the other a traditional round ball gun. It works on all.

pawlinebrown.gif

gun&bag.gif

I remember reading about the 12.5 yard sight in method for muzzleloaders many years ago. As I recall the article said something about a distance of 12-15 yards depending on the muzzleloader and the load being used?

I have a new to me sidelock that I am going to be shooting soon and I will try this sight in method.

Thanks Jay for reminding me! :)

pawlinebrown.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

Last edited:
iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships & Renewals and IBA Memberships & Renewals
pawlinebrown.gif

gun&bag.gif

Originally Posted By: JakeWym
I guess I have never heard of this. Why 12.5?

PMA members receive priorty tech support! :)

On page 238 of Sam Fadala's Black powder handbook 4th edition, revised and expanded he describes the following: Quote:
"Rifle calibers 45 through 58, whether shooting a round ball or a conical, can be pre-sighted in at 13 yards for starters. This normally puts the bullet back into the line of sight at about 75 to 80 yards, considering a round ball at about 2000 fps and a conical at about 1,500 fps. Sighted to hit an inch high at 50 yards, the round ball or conical will hit an inch or so low at 100 yards and about a half foot low at 125 yards.

pawlinebrown.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

Last edited:
I would imagine when the artical was written, there wasn't the super fast loads being used. But I would think it should still get a person real close and save you time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would imagine when the artical was written, there wasn't the super fast loads being used. But I would think it should still get a person real close and save you time. </div></div>

Absolutely. I still use 100 grains of powder anyway so I'm thinking it'll be real close.

Top Bottom