Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slow rut

Hoffman

I started hunting a new area 4 years ago, first year had bucks cruising, bedded in road ditch and not wanting to move, young bucks coming to the worst grunt/rattle and running so hard had crap running down back legs. Every year since has gotten worse to nonexistent. So is my doe to buck ratio so high they don't have to look/fight anymore? They used to hunt with orange army before I came, but no groups any more. I get tons to pics of mature bucks til mid October then gone, sometime for good. Advice?

Was it archery hunted before you started? Do you see a whole bunch of does or not very many? Going out on a limb on an unlikely solution here. Is it possible it is overhunted and the does aren't residing there anymore? If there are consistently does around that's not the problem, just a thought.

Are you saying the "rut" is nonexistent, or deer are nonexistent? Has the areas around changed (i.e. different food sources, better habitat management, etc). What is the doe population like? If it's small, could they just be coming in early and then the bucks move on? How big of an area and how much bowhunting pressure on yours as well as surrounding?

Wasn't archery hunted before. Don't think it's over hunted. I'm the only one who hunts it, I see more young less quality bucks than anything. On average evening sit I'll see 10 deer? Doe with couple yearlings, 3 small young bucks, 2-3 does and one good genetic buck, This is from October 25-nov 16 on average.

Wasn't archery hunted before. Don't think it's over hunted. I'm the only one who hunts it, I see more young less quality bucks than anything. On average evening sit I'll see 10 deer? Doe with couple yearlings, 3 small young bucks, 2-3 does and one good genetic buck, This is from October 25-nov 16 on average.

What's wrong with that? Lol!

Are you saying the "rut" is nonexistent, or deer are nonexistent? Has the areas around changed (i.e. different food sources, better habitat management, etc). What is the doe population like? If it's small, could they just be coming in early and then the bucks move on? How big of an area and how much bowhunting pressure on yours as well as surrounding?

I'm saying unless past 3 seasons all activity is at night, there is no chasing, no sparing, no cruising. The only habitat change in area is where I hunt has gained better food sources. Not sure on doe pop as I thought it was high but don't see many during sits. I hunt multiple pieces in the section and all same. I am only one on properties but maybe 4 total in area.

My ground is similar most sits. I can still hit those magic days where there is tons of chasing/sparring/responding to calls. For me it was nov 17 this year. Before that I would swear I almost had no rut. I'd call, use scents, etc with no avail. Nov 17 hits and I can do no wrong, I can call bucks, they check scent wicks. Timing is key. I think from what I've seen on my ground I have a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio in favor of the bucks although the majority of bucks are 2.5. On the 17th I saw 3 bucks chasing one doe twice (different bucks) so I'd like to hold off on all doe harvesting and take a buck out even if it's a cull.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

10 deer for an evening sit for me would be a pretty good sit. Heck, 10 deer for an all day sit is pretty good. I have seen more in one day, but a lot of days that would be the top and some that would be a stretch by about 5-6. I typically only see one or two full chases each year, and sometimes not even that (they are chasing somewhere else, possibly on the farm, but maybe on neighboring farms). More cruising or checking does out. But I'm not out there every day. I get more mature bucks on camera than I see in the season, either at night or on days I'm not hunting. This is 400 acres private. Moderate pressure around. A few bow hunters on neighboring properties. Some gets pushed in shotgun, others (bigger properties) remain sanctuaries.

Well maybe was just out on right days first year, but had bucks wore out from chasing, fighting, cruising. Now it seems like mature bucks and does go hide and 3.5 and younger don't care. I was just wondering if maybe had real high doe to buck ratio so don't need to compete, but shouldn't I see more does then while in stand? Thanks for input guys!

Do you have cameras out? If so what are they saying? I have a couple mature deer on a 320 acre piece that I hunt with heavy pressure from all around and on the same farm(it's private but everyone hunts there like a public land piece). And I catch them on cameras at night, some during the day but not one of my guys that I hunt with have seen them from the stand. Either our mistakes, other hunters mistakes, or just not in the right spot at the right time. I kid you not there are 15 bow hunters alone that hunt this property, so my level of excitement isn't very high cause I know most of the other hunters don't pay near as much attention to wind, entry/exit etc.

If your cameras show ya their there, then they are ,just gotta put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Top Bottom