Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Small Food Plot

Rutty

I have a small foot plot around a 1/2 acre in size. The food plot is located on top of a ridge that is tucked in amongst a big stand of cedar trees. I have planted turnips & brassicas and clover the past two years with very little success. I get a very lack luster looking food plot. I have poured the fertilizer too it with very little reward. I always plant an acre of turnips on the bottom of this farm which is only 200 yards from this plot that do very well and are softball sized turnips. Does anybody have any recommendations on what to plant on this ridge? Thanks

I have a small foot plot around a 1/2 acre in size. The food plot is located on top of a ridge that is tucked in amongst a big stand of cedar trees. I have planted turnips & brassicas and clover the past two years with very little success. I get a very lack luster looking food plot. I have poured the fertilizer too it with very little reward. I always plant an acre of turnips on the bottom of this farm which is only 200 yards from this plot that do very well and are softball sized turnips. Does anybody have any recommendations on what to plant on this ridge? Thanks

Hmmm...by the sounds of that, I would recommend a couple of things right off. 1. Do a soil test, maybe the soil there is especially acidic, perhaps from the nearby cedars, and could be corrected with lime, etc. 2. Do a soil test, see what you have for soil and go from there. 3. Yep, you guessed it. Do a soil test. :)

4. Plant a rye/clover mix, if you can't get rye to grow, then check and see if the soil is really concrete. :) But for real, do a soil test quick and see what you find out. Only then can you effectively determine what to do next. Good luck!!

Yes soil test...but when you say pour the fertilizer to it what does that mean? Because maybe its not even close to enough....id bet your PH is low and it needs some lime...but I also agree with planting the dbltree or rye mix. One other thing I noticed in you comment is that you are planting turnips in a bottom and they always do well...are you planting these every year?

Cedar trees= low ph= fertilizer wont work. pelletized lime is your friend.... and lots of it. 300#/a min (soil test best!!!)

I almost always go clover in those spots as it can take the browse pressure the best.

From earlier this spring. First year clover in the cedars. LOTS of lime.
c0acfdf129e5e527060d9c74a901a4da.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom