Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoking fish

JNRBRONC

Couple people asked, here is how I've been doing it lately.

The brine I've been using: half gallon water, half cup cane sugar, half cup brown sugar, half cup salt, 2 TBS garlic powder, 2 TBS chili powder, 3 TBS lemon juice. I put the fish filets in a gallon ziplock, cover with brine, remove air, put in fridge for a day. I've done this with catfish and salmon filets and experimented lately with small bass I want out of the pond. For the bass, cut of heads and gut, leave scales on. Might not look the best, but it reminds me of smoked whiting my father used to bring home from the small town meat locker when I was a kid. Tastes pretty much like it, too.

I have a Brinkman smoker with an electric element. I use apple wood that I have soaked overnight in water. I three quarters of a gallon of water in the water pan. I target three hours from plugging it in.

Here's a pic of a mixed run I did, salmon upper right, catfish lower right, bass to the left. The bass are kind of a hassle, fingers get sticky from the sugar glaze as you peel them. I don't think I will be messing with any more bass this year.

I've gone on to add smoked fish to alfredo pasta or served over brown rice with a splash of soy sauce, etc., trying to mix things up a little. ;)

So where should we go to get a sample of this fish? :D

Looks great! Seeing those pics...I might have to get another smoker, I used to have a simple simon charcoal smoker, but once it gave up the ghost a few years ago I never replaced it.

Top Bottom