Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Speaking of Farm Bureau

River1

I was curious to the Farm Bureau process. How they decide what to lobby for and who their lobbyist answer to. The Farm Bureau Regional Officer for my area replied with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our lobbyists are required to follow the Resolutions adopted at our annual
summer (statewide) policy conference. A booklet containing all the
resolutions is available at the county office in DeWitt.
The process of creating these resolutions starts in each
county, where farm bureau members surface issues by speaking up at meetings
and by completing opinionnaires. The county board of directors decides
which local issues get pushed up to the state discussion level. At the
summer policy conference, voting delegates from each county meet in session
to craft the resolutions.

This is a grassroots process that continues year-round. I would be happy
to discuss this particular issue with you, or you might wish to contact the
county board members.
</div></div>

If I was a betting man, I'd say not to many show up for these meetings. So, they probably hear from the vocal minority. Anyone have personal experience with these meetings?

The farm bureau is like most of the commodity groups. Most of the policy is crafted at the annual meeting and brought up from the counties. Those that are more vocal and active are more likely to get their policies through. All the more reason to be involved or express your concerns to those that are. While many on this site are not members, a big chunk of the landowners are. If you send a note to each of the county board members in your county, they might even let you hunt there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have personal experience with these meetings? </div></div>
I've never been invited.

My only personal experience would be in committee and sub committee meetings at the statehouse.In the last four years of attending these meeting I don't think I've ever seen a farmer at a meeting. Let me rephrase that, I've not heard one stand up and make a comment on the deer problem.(tree farmers,orchards owners, but not grain farmers) Just a lobbyist.

Todays meeting for an example, those attending
3 legislators
4 DNR reps
2 Lobbyists (IBA & Conservation Alliance)
1 member from Ikes
1 IBA member
House Recorder
1 FB Lobbyist with 2 assistants(writing notes & taking names)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've never been invited.</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I bet not. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I guess my question is other than insurance for deer/car accidents why in the world does FB lobby so hard these then?

After 10 years with them I finally got tired of hearing FB's name attached to every crappy piece of deer legislation that came along. I dumped them and told my agent why. Ended up saving some $$ too. Not sure my current co (AllState) is any better, but at least they dont brag about using my money to screw with my favorite pastime.

I think a lot of this might be because some farmers and/or landowers are looking to replace beef cows with CASH cows. i.e. transferable tags!

so....if any of us on here, were members, we could go to these meetings, and affect their policies?

hmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so....if any of us on here, were members, we could go to these meetings, and affect their policies?
</div></div>

Lately I'm thinking a mass of dropped insurance policies might speak louder, but that's just wishful thinking.

Top Bottom