Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring Hatching Updates??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So I don't really turkey hunt BUT every few years I'll go out. I still see that all across IA it seems the TURKEYS & PHEASANTS & QUAIL are WAY DOWN!!!! I want all 3 to do great on my place, I can't control the weather though! Everyone has theories on bird #'s in decline...
I was fortunate enough to talk with the NWTF Biologist for IA and ask him the real scoop... Weather? Habitat? Insecticides? Bobcats, coyotes, etc? Skunks, coons, possums, hawks? All of those are factors BUT overwhelmingly he said the cool & wet weather was #1 by far. The chicks hatch & with cool weather and rain, they can't warm up and essentially die from the cold. With too much water I've also heard about excess fungus/mildew in their food which can be toxic in high levels to chicks.
So, I'm creating all the habitat I can, I'm trying to keep some check on predators & I'm leaving food. BUT, again, no one can control weather. I'm sure your part of the state is way down for #'s compared to 5 years ago. Even when I went to SD pheasant hunting- the #'s were way down in last 3-4 years on our farm there and nothing's changed except weather and some bad winters.

OK- so, what y'all think???? We've had some cool weather BUT maybe not as much rain??? Too much cool weather? Average? How do you feel this season for pheasants, turkeys, etc is shaping out? If this post keeps going at all- check back over the next 1-2 months and post a little feedback. Just curious what you all think for this nesting/hatching thus far???? How will my feathered friends fare this year??? They need a good year, that's for sure!

I agree weather is #1. Im not worried yet but if the next 4 weeks are wet/cold wont be good :(

Weather though trumps everything. Good thing is though in two years you can have a huntable population when it comes to upland fowl. Pheasants are also a victim of habitat and predators. Turkeys much less in the last two factors.

With the sun out and weather looking good for the rest of the week I'm feeling optimistic, but it's still early. I got rid of 22 raccoons last winter when the trapper was trying to catch my bobcat, he never did get the cat. Weather is number #1 factor in my mind with raccoons, possums and skunks doing more damage then bobcats and yotes.

With the sun out and weather looking good for the rest of the week I'm feeling optimistic, but it's still early. I got rid of 22 raccoons last winter when the trapper was trying to catch my bobcat, he never did get the cat. Weather is number #1 factor in my mind with raccoons, possums and skunks doing more damage then bobcats and yotes.

I agree that the coon are closer to #1 problem than you may think. I am an avid trapper and even run hounds during coon season. That being said, during my spring TSI project I have so far found two turkey nests totally destroyed by coons on my property. One had 10 eggs and one had 12. Twenty two turkeys gone in two meals is a major problem! For the chics that do survive they have weather and other predators to contend with. I don't know about everyone else but turkey numbers are WAYYY down in all the areas I hunt. Hope they aren't headed in the way of the pheasants. :confused:

We have made more efforts this year to reduce predator #'s and have taken out approximately: 12 coons, 14 possums, 1 badger and 2 others(hint...it makes a noise that rhymes with...yeow :D). This is on only 180 acres!

Turkey numbers this spring seemed a bit better than last year, but still way, way down over years past. If 5 or 6 years ago the turkey population was say a "10", then last year was a "2" and this year was a "3.5". I haven't heard or seen a quail in so long I can't remember when I last did and we are in an area where there should be some.

We do have a couple of roosters around, so hopefully we can get a nest or two off this year on those. FWIW, last year we heard 4 or 5 separate roosters crowing on our farm throughout the spring, this year...I can only say that we heard at most 2 at the same time. We have found feather piles for both roosters and hens while mowing, etc, so even when you get some adult birds out there, the predators can get those.

I do not argue with those that list wet, cool spring/summer weather as the #1 factor in lower bird populations, that is my persuasion too. But I too have found multiple wrecked nests in the past few years(predators) AND also dead, adult turkey carcasses at various times of the year(????, but the wet spring weather is not killing adults).

I think what we get for weather from about here on out will be far more important than what we have thus far. I don't think baby turks, pheasants, etc, have hatched yet, but probably within about 5-10 days from now they will be. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Ok Kids- I've been in CO for a week- I'm hearing some bad news depending on the areas in the state?!?!?!? Flooding in some parts. But- I've heard of lighter areas and warm weather too. How's things been & how's it looking???? How has different areas of the state fared? What's the update????

I would not want to be a nesting turkey on the Missouri river bottom now. Record flooding on the way. Evacuating all the small towns now. They say it will be the worst flooding ever for this area. I have not seen any chicks yet in the hills here yet and the temps have warmed up nice. It should be good conditions now for the main hatching time. Yesterday I saved a big bullsnake from a hungry mother bobcat that was batting at it on my driveway. She backed up 20 yards and had the most pissed off face as I got back in the truck with it. She no doubt will be taking a toll on the chicks when they begin coming out to the horse pasture and driveway.Most summers there will be anywhere from 30-75 hens and babies of all sizes scratching in the horse poop everyday.

I just seen three stutting toms with about ten hens in the field.

Is this a bad sign for June 2?

Last edited:
I just seen three stutting toms with about ten hens in the field.

Is this a bad sign for June 2?

what I really hope is that IF nests don't make it OR chicks don't make it, they re-nest and get a good hatch- which maybe that's what they are doing right now??? I'm crossing my fingers for good warm weather for next 30 days.

what I really hope is that IF nests don't make it OR chicks don't make it, they re-nest and get a good hatch- which maybe that's what they are doing right now??? I'm crossing my fingers for good warm weather for next 30 days.

They were out in the rain. So I hope you are right and they are re-nesting.

You know, after watching two turkeys try to mate this spring it is a wonder we even have turkeys.

These wet cold springs are definitely killers.

I have saw a couple of hen turkeys strolling around with out any little ones around... This seems about the time i start seeing them... Havent got any little ones on camera yet either, kinda strange for where i am located...

I have been noticing large groups of hens lately out in the fields. I can't visibly see any little ones. I don't think this is a good sign. Maybe the small ones are lower than the beans and I just can't see them.

So, it's July 15....anyone seeing young turkeys, particularly
in S.E. Iowa?

I have not seen any yet, but haven't been looking too hard either...BUT it rained like a son of a gun here again this spring. My thoughts are that this springs hatch survival rate will again not be very good.

I have been seeing good numbers of baby turkeys lately in the horse pastures here in western iowa. As always there are more hens without babies than with but I have alot of coyotes, bobcats and coons. Looks about average but I always have too many turkeys here.

Top Bottom