Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring Hatching Updates??

Well, I went to bible camp in South East Nebraska and went out saw 4 hens and a lot of little ones (5-7 ea Hen). One Hen at camp was within 6 feet of me and just stood there and was watching her chicks run away from me. What % of those live?

Last edited:
I was cutting Russian Olive out of contour buffer strips today and discovered a nest of 5 rotten turkey eggs under one of them. My guess is the hen met up with a coyote.

Saw a hen turkey yesterday with 2 babies, they looked to be growing nicely. Also have seen a decent amount of pheasant babies as well driving gravel roads back and forth to work.

Saw two hens with little ones this weekend. Could not tell how many she had.
Saw another hen on a gravel road crossing it in the ditch. She must of had hens with
her somewhere because she would not leave that area.

I busted 2 groups of chicks with the moms today. I'd say there was EASILY 8 chicks in each group, so at least 16 chicks between the 2 hen moms. Little things BUT they could already fly! I was happy to see this and so many.

I busted 2 groups of chicks with the moms today. I'd say there was EASILY 8 chicks in each group, so at least 16 chicks between the 2 hen moms. Little things BUT they could already fly! I was happy to see this and so many.

This morning I counted 43 young turkeys, all different sizes with 11 hens on my driveway and in the horse pasture scratching thru the poop for grain.It looks to have been a good spring/summer around here for turkeys. I wish I could say the same for pheasants, but it seems where there are turkeys there are no pheasants anymore, despite having good native grass crp, ungrazed brome and leaving plenty of standing crops. I think the turkeys kill the baby pheasants. Anyone have good pheasant numbers on the same farm with alot of turkeys? Or notice as turkeys have spread the pheasants disappear?

Anyone have good pheasant numbers on the same farm with alot of turkeys? Or notice as turkeys have spread the pheasants disappear?
Nope. We have lots of turkey and very few pheasants. But quail have been making a steady come back which is fun to see. They aren't uncommon to see. Typically see a covey each weekend while out working or on the road.

These dewy mornings are really driving the pheasant chicks to the roads. I think the DNR is conducting their road surveys this week; they should get a good count.

I agree weather is #1 also.
zhu.jpg

image.jpg

ht.jpg

Top Bottom