Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand access

JNRBRONC

So this morning I watched Bill Winke clearing paths to access a stand. I have an area in a really thick section of timber where I've hunted in the past, most times wading through head high weeds, multiflora rose, brush, etc. My fear is that if I cleared a path back into there, the deer would start using it as travel corridor. That might not seem like a terrible thing, but if they run across my tracks as I just walked in, they'd probably turn tail. By wading through the brush to get there, they are less likely to cut my trail if they stick to their normal trails. Plus, pulling stick tights and burs off me once I get in stand helps pass the time. :D

Thoughts?

So this morning I watched Bill Winke clearing paths to access a stand. I have an area in a really thick section of timber where I've hunted in the past, most times wading through head high weeds, multiflora rose, brush, etc. My fear is that if I cleared a path back into there, the deer would start using it as travel corridor. That might not seem like a terrible thing, but if they run across my tracks as I just walked in, they'd probably turn tail. By wading through the brush to get there, they are less likely to cut my trail if they stick to their normal trails. Plus, pulling stick tights and burs off me once I get in stand helps pass the time. :D

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I absolutely agree. Not always good to clear one path just to access the stand.

They will use trails cut in but I do it every year. I usually trim out the briers, weeds and limbs the end of august and make it wide enough not to rub against anything going in, as long as you wear rubber boots and spray down they will not pick you up. I usually make the trail go past the stand a ways and keep it about 15 yards or more away from the stand location so I get close shooting, need them close at my old age!

Yup, I like being able to get in/out quietly and not leave a ton of scent by brushing up against limbs but I always make sure I can shoot towards the trail because deer will follow it.

CUT IT!!! As long as u r not cutting through bedding area.... cut. Let’s say it’s “by the road”.... those paths usually aren’t traveled til after dark anyways. If it’s a core bedding - I wouldn’t be walking through it trimmed or not trimmed.
So - I know exactly what u talking about!!! But- as long as “so so” areas u walking through - cut narrow path & use that path alone. It’s worth the little bit of overlap with deer. Quiet, not touching stuff, easy sweat free entrance- I’d take that positive over the little deer traffic it may create. Now- many of my stands don’t need any trimming or minimal so I’ll deal with little stuff. But- if it’s multiflora rose or bunch of lil trees & brush - for sure wanna trim.

One other thing.... on areas I want deer to travel - by the stand..... I cut out nice clear trails for em there & make them attractive to travel. In desirable areas. The paths to my stand are not set up the same way at all. But ya- my vote is to have slick & finely trimmed entrances walking through “somewhat undesireable” areas to get to stand.

At my place, I mow the paths to my stands. The deer use them too, but are less likely to pick up my scent on a cut path than they are in tall weeds that I rubbed up against on my walk in.

Mowing the path also dramatically cuts down on the amount of noise you make getting to and from a stand. Fire up that mower!!

NWBuck

One of the places I hunt is basically bordered by super thick, young growth bushes and trees. I couldn't navigate through it, so I would always walk way around it. This summer I cut a couple trails through about 30 yds of it at the narrowest point. I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure the deer are utilizing it. It should save about a quarter to half mile of walking for me and I think the positive outweighs the negative. I did it mainly to avoid sweating and dew soaked pant legs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gonna mow my trails for the last time Sunday morning after a youth hunt saturday night. My daughter and nephew are super busy with school so only get 1 shot the 1st couple weeks. I can't wait. Father/Daughter time.

N o way I can get to stands some round about secretive way so one has a mowed path to it all Summer. I use to my plots to work on em and to my stand to hunt. Deer get used to it. Think they tolerate my human scent on it too. Rare for me to venture much into any of the other areas of my 40 acres until March. My other stand has an outside edge of property trail that is clear and open. Deer us it a bit but in front of me in the other direction is where the action is. I stay out of there until spring too.

I say trim it. The areas that I have trimmed nice trails too seem to be some of my best sets, probably because I can enter quieter, sweat less and leave less scent behind. The deer do use them but I actually rarely get picked up by them in these trails

Top Bottom