Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand location

Hoffman

I'm looking to hear what others would do? I am having to walk through deer in/and out. I cannot access the stand any other way. I try my best to get in/out quietly, but deer are feeding on my entrance/exit path. Only trees are on back fence line.

Field edge? Timber? What exactly are you hunting/ trying to navigate through? I have similar problems with this for one stand in particular, solid spot and always see a ton of deer but I feel like I'm always bumping deer on the way in. It's a deep timber spot on the outside of a bedding area. Nothing you can do but play the wind correctly and or get into your stand super early trying to beat them back from feeding. I've found that if they just hear you coming then they are more likely to filter back by rather than if they catch your wind, your hunt may be over.

Not sure wind matters, my stand is on the south side of a major intersection backed by a creek that tough to cross. Timber to south/se and north ne. Food plots to nw. The deer can come from anywhere, not sure what wind to play. I can access stand from west or through food plots. Walk through corn field or alfalfa from west

sounds to me like you need to come from south over that "tough to cross creek". Ive laid ladders down, used kayaks, hip wadders, dropped trees with a chainsaw.... just food for thought.

I would come from the food sources for a evening sit if the wind allows and use chest waders for the creek in the morning. I've packed waders almost a mile when sitting a certain stand to prevent busting deer.

Cannot come from south, property edge. Timber to south isn't on property I can hunt. Just looking for tips on not getting busted. Sun night waited til deer where out of sight, got down to see buck 100 yards east walking too me, slowly walked out west to deer in alfalfa. I guess I will just keep doing as I am, see plenty of deer

Maybe I need to rephrase, are you worried about busting deer that are at your stand as you get there to get into/ out of tree. If I know they are there I'll wait but it's like the deer gathering area, always seem to be near by

Bust everything out of field 3 hrs before daylight and they will come back. .....If you are prepared to sit that long in the dark.

Maybe I need to rephrase, are you worried about busting deer that are at your stand as you get there to get into/ out of tree. If I know they are there I'll wait but it's like the deer gathering area, always seem to be near by

Yes, I hate spooking deer. I have the same problem with a few of my stands, where I spook either going in or coming out. Waiting til dark does not always work, as they seem to just hang around just to snort at me when I think all is clear. :) Sometimes I wonder if I'm set up or have to walk in/out too close to food or bedding, but sometimes that is the only place available, like you are probably dealing with.

It doesn't sound like there is very much you can do about it, unfortunately. I have a particular place with a similar problem. It is also my least productive spot. After years of hunting it, This is my strategy:
I do not hunt this place until very late pre-rut. I do not run cameras here. I want to leave the deer undisturbed right up to the time when the bucks are being exploited. Then move in and hope for the best. I accept that I'm busting deer out of the field coming in (am) and going out (pm). I will hunt it for a few days and then move on to better farms.
If this is your only place to hunt, then I think you are going to have to limit yourself to a few sits here and there as to not let the deer pattern you. But right now would be the time to hammer on it as new bucks may be wandering in to check it out, and they may be unaware that anything ever happened.

Knuckle, funny part is this is my best spot, I honestly think (haven't tried every one)I can hunt it in any wind and still see same amount of deer. Especially during rut. I'll have deer 40 yards away in the dark less than 10 min after in the tree. The treestand manufacturers need to make teleport option. I'd buy a few

[QUOTE="Hoffman;577522 I'll have deer 40 yards away in the dark less than 10 min after in the tree. /QUOTE]

Same here. I can't help but to wonder what kind of deer are running off and not returning though. My hope is that they assume that I kept on walking rather than climb a tree. I guess what it comes down to is either hunt it or not hunt it. I choose hunt it!

In my case, they come back. Just a little later in the evening ( pushing the end of shooting light ). And when they are there, they be nervous for a while. Best of luck!

Top Bottom