Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting another...Its Done !!!!!

Nice looking lock, how long will it take you to inlet the wood and get the lock in place? :)

Probably 4 or 5 hours. Although I should say that while I do keep track of hours while doing a build, it's not a race for me. Whatever it takes for time, it takes.

Last edited:
I've built a lot of stuff through the years, from drag racing motors to guns, with everything in between, but never had one of these. I was going to need it for this pistol build so figured I'd bite the bullet. I can't believe I waited so long.
I'm sure I'll find plenty of other uses.:way:

DCP_3909.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry that I've been slacking on this build.:(
I've been needing to get to work on this project but instead have been sitting around feeling sorry for myself.:eek: The loss of use of my left thumb really has me down. A person just really doesn't realize how important it is until you can't use it. I was really trying to talk myself into selling the parts and not finishing this pistol as I figured holding a chisel was going to be about impossible. Well, I got up the nerve to try inletting the barrel today. It was a painful ordeal but it's in the stock.:way: Took about twice as long as it normally would but it sure gave me renewed confidence to keep building., and it got me off my butt!
The next step will be inletting the breech plug. Hopefully I'll get after it tomorrow.
DSCN1654.jpg

What happened to your thumb!? That sounds awful. The project sure looks good, though. I'll bet you'll be up and running closer to full speed once you learn to deal with the disability.

What happened to your thumb?

Here's the short version........
Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff
clear.gif

CLICK TO ENLARGE

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> </td> <td valign="top"> Thumb arthritis </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
clear.gif

Thumb arthritis, also called basal joint arthritis, occurs when the joint at your wrist and the base of your thumb (carpometacarpal joint) develops osteoarthritis.
Having thumb arthritis can cause debilitating hand pain, swelling, and decreased strength and range of motion, making it difficult to do simple household tasks, such as turning doorknobs and opening jars.
Treatment for thumb arthritis may include self-care measures, splints, medication or corticosteroid injections. In severe cases, you may need surgery to treat thumb arthritis.

Another version, Mine is at stage 3....
http://www.metrohealth.org/body.cfm?id=863&oTopID=863

Last edited:
Dude!! Sorry to hear about your thumb!! I kind of stumbled onto this post after not coming on Iowawhitetail FOR EVER...To be honest I don't know a lot about guns and/or gun parts but still found this post fascinating your skills and progress of your project! It seemed like such a good post with having such positive results and then we are blind sided by you loosing your thumb! It's like it took a turn for the worse! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope things get better for you and can keep the project going...

I got after the breech plug and tang this morning and have it inlet. Now it would be time to inlet the lock but I have a bit of a set back.:mad: While chiseling in the tang, a crack developed in the wood that runs from beside the tang to where the lock will be. 75 percent of the crack is internal and won't show. I just need to get some super glue in the crack with a syringe, then start the lock.

DSCN1658.jpg

Jay, that pistol is looking amazing! I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of use of your thumb. I truly hope it is temporary and can be fixed at some point. You're work is amazing and I agree with Danny Boy wholeheartedly. You'll learn to cope and keep going strong. If a dog can learn to walk "normal" with only 3 legs, then I know you will adjust and keep at it!

Before inletting a lock, it needs to be tore down so the bolster portion can be inlet first, then the plate. I always tear a lock apart on an old white cloth of some sort. It's a bit easier to keep track of parts that way. I store them in a secure box.:way: I have the bolster inlet and the plate traced. I am now waiting for the glue to dry that I repaired the crack with. More to come later.;)
DSCN1660.jpg

While chiseling in the tang, a crack developed in the wood that runs from beside the tang to where the lock will be. 75 percent of the crack is internal and won't show. I just need to get some super glue in the crack with a syringe, then start the lock.

The crack in the stock should be no problem for you Jay. :D

You have some experience as I recall with Super Glue and walnut stocks.
peepwall.gif

<O:p</O:p

You have some experience as I recall with Super Glue and walnut stocks.
peepwall.gif

Yep, and that's why I decided not to use it.;) I opened up the crack a little more and was able to fill it with Tite Bond II. Much better.:way:

After letting the glue cure overnite I started the lock plate inlet. When I came to that little point on the end of the plate, I realized I didn't have a chisel that small. A small screwdriver was sacrificed to make one.:way: After that, it was pretty straight forward to inlet the plate. Next come inletting all the little lock parts.

DSCN1699.jpg

The lock inlet proved to be a bit troublesome. I knew ahead of time that using a lock this small can sometimes have it's own special needs. Internally, the parts are pretty much the same size as a full size lock, only now they are in a more confined area. That translates to having to actually remove more wood since there isn't as much room between parts. The spring also was hitting the barrel so a little bit from one flat of the barrel had to be shaved off. All in all, it's coming right along. Next step is to inlet the trigger. I'm going to give my thumb a rest for awhile before doing that.

DSCN1704.jpg

DSCN1703.jpg

Top Bottom