Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting another...Its Done !!!!!

I gave the thumb a rest for a couple days and got back to the task at hand today. I inlet the trigger assembly only to discover that the sear bar was too short. No problem, I welded a piece of steel to the top of it then filed to the exact height needed.:way:
DSCN1720.jpg

I also removed a bunch of excess wood from the width of the stock to get it closer to finish dimension.
As a side note, I was thinking about this and past builds the other day and realized that the most important tools I use, chisels, caliper, and flex rule, all belonged to my Grandfather, Joe Zemak. He had been a carpenter and craftsman most of his life and I'm glad to honor him a bit by using his tools. I think he would approve.:way:
DSCN1708-Copy.jpg

Tinkered for awhile on it this morning and got the trigger guard inlet. It's starting to look like a pistol now.:way:
About time to start drilling and tapping holes to mount the lock and tang. Then drill holes to screw the trigger guard down.
DSCN1726.jpg

It seems lately that I keep working on it but not much is happening.:( But it just looks that way. Since I last posted, the tang and trigger assembly have been drilled, tapped and screwed together, the lock drilled and tapped for the mounting bolts and the bolts cut and fit, front barrel pin drilled and installed, trigger guard screwed on, and the ramrod pipes inlet and pinned.
Next up is the time consuming job of shaping the lock panels and the rest of the stock. That's a whole lot of wood to remove.

DSCN1728.jpg

It's definitely coming together. Starting to look good. BTW I love the blanket that it's on! I have a couple of the HBB's at the house, talk about quality :way:

There's been a lot accomplished in the past few days but no photos to post. The hardest part is here.........waiting for finish to dry. I hate this part. Hopefully will have her done in a day or so.:way:

First off, I'd like to say thanks to those of you that followed along on this build. It's appreciated very much.:way:
It was a fun and rewarding build. I had mentioned in the original post that I wanted to get my son involved in this project. Unfortunately, he had a change of jobs in January and his schedule just didn't allow it.:( I guess if sometime in the future if he wants to do something like this he'll just have to figure it out. That's how I did it.:way:
As most of you have probably noticed, the past few muzzleloaders I've built/rebuilt have been given an antique finish. I like them but decided on this build to give her a "Brand New" look. I just felt like stepping it up a notch on this one.;)
Anyway, hope you all enjoyed coming along on the journey. Thanks again.

DSCN1743.jpg

DSCN1744.jpg

DSCN1746.jpg

Thanks for sharing your build with us, quite impressive, is this gun for sale or do you build for yourself?

Thanks for sharing your build with us, quite impressive, is this gun for sale or do you build for yourself?

I thought about selling it but it's currently going to stay with me for awhile. Unless somebody makes an offer too good to pass up.:way:

Thanks for posting, it always a good read to see what you are making next. Nice job, that is a beautiful piece!! :way:

Beautiful firearm Jay, I have truly enjoyed following the progress of this build. Please let us know how it shoots. :way:

Those indoor flash photos just weren't showing the true color of the gun. This is what it really looks like.:way:

picture.php

Thanks again everyone.

How does it shoot?

Well............to be honest, I haven't shot it.:confused: Part of me wants to take her out and throw some lead, and the other half say's just let it sit as is, unfired.
It's ready to go, I put together a presentation case with all the accessories. Powder flask, ball mold, vent pick, screw driver, and loading/cleaning rod. The bag has balls, patches, and extra flints.
picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom