Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stinky Antlers

If it's just the odor from the bug tank, I've had good luck submerging the antlers in water with a little dawn dish soap and 10% ammonia from ace hardware. I just heat the water up somewhere between 130-150 degrees for about 2 to 3 hrs. Works well with very little color loss and no damage to antlers.

This seems to be the easiest and cheapest, because if I'm not boiling water, I can do it with a cheap plastic storage container that I already have. Still waiting on my Euro guy to get back to me, but if I don't hear back soon, I'll probably do this soon.

Where are you located? I have a scent crusher bag that I'd be more than happy to use on that mount if you're close enough to make it happen. No clue if it would cure the smell, but definitely worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I do euro mounts with bugs and it's likely from the degreasing solution that was used on the antlers. Must have gotten full of grease/rotting meat and not changed enough and got a little rank. Happens from time to time. Happens more when doing euros using maceration. I just keep soaking the skull and base of the antlers in a hot water bath with dawn dish soap and lemon scented ammonia. Or spray with some febreeze to try to cover the smell.

Top Bottom