Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stocking a new pond

marshall

PMA Member
My father in law has a new pond that needs to be stocked and since i am the one that does all the fishing he wanted to know what i wanted put in the pond. The pond is about a half arce in size and about 20ft deep (rough estimates, dont have exact measurements). I love catching bass but want the pond to be well balanced. What advice do you guys have for stocking ponds?

Get with the DNR.. They will stock it appropriately and for free as long as it meets a few certain criteria. They will recommend Bluegill, Bass, and Catfish. I would start with those and if you want maybe crappie in it, definately do not put them in for a few years until your bass are a decent size and can help control the crappie population. They will overpopulate FAST and become stunted.

I have done a lot of research on this. If bass is what you're after and you have patience, it is best to stock fathead minnows and fingerling bluegill first in the early spring. They will spawn a few times in the first year and build an incredible forage base. Stock 4-6" largemouth that next spring, quantity based upon the size of the pond ( surface acreage is more important than depth, most bass spend the majority of their life 10' or less). You will have a balanced fishery in no time. It will take ongoing management to keep populations in check, but that formula will put you miles ahead. STAY AWAY FROM CRAPPIE in a 1/2 acre pond (unless you want 10,000 3-inch papermouths).

I messed up with one of my ponds and stocked mature, transplanted bass the same time as minnows and bluegill. Yes, I immediately had a fishery, but the bass thinned out the forage literally in weeks. I now have to dump large amounts of baitfish to keep the bass growing. I'm considering a fish kill and starting over with the above formula, I just can't keep up with the bass and they look overly thin.

Google the pond boss website for awesome info. Good luck!

We were considering making a pond also and was wondering if the dnr stock it do I need a license to fish it ?also how far down would it have to be dug?
Later

We were considering making a pond also and was wondering if the dnr stock it do I need a license to fish it ?also how far down would it have to be dug?
Later

The minimum requirement for the maximum depth for the DNR to stock it is 8ft. It also has to be so many feet away from a fenced in cattle pasture.
Yourself and your immediate family members living at home do not need a license to fish it, however, once your children move out (if you have any), they will need to have a license to fish it.

Also, another very common mis-conception about having the DNR stock your pond is that some people believe that you are obligated to let the general public fish in it.. This is very un-true. Although the DNR would appreciate you for letting other people fish in it, those people still have to get your permission.

I would look into having somebody stock it that have high quality fish. Yes the fish from the DNR are free but they dont have the genetics that you can buy for fairly cheap if it is just 1/2 an acre. You are talking roughly $80 for bluegills $50 for bass and $50 for catfish. You could add in another $30 for some white amur and $20 for minnows and you would be set. Fish are just like deer. If you had a choice would you rather put 8 pointers on your farm or 10s and 12s? I would giver Beemer fisheries a call or look them up at www.beemerfisheries.com

The DNR stocked my ole mans pond this year. They put blue gills in the spring and then in the fall they put in the bass and catfish.

The DNR stocked my ole mans pond this year. They put blue gills in the spring and then in the fall they put in the bass and catfish.

I used fish from the DNR also, it is not free but the cost is very small. Just have to go pick-up the fish on a certain day.

I wanted crappie, but all the research I did told me not at this time, the Crappie and Bass will compete and if the pond is not large enough it is a bad deal.

Also for those who want to build a pond there is a lot more to building a levy than I thought, it is best to get a guy who builds a lot of ponds.

Bowdude

How many pounds of fish would you expect to harvest off of a half acre pond ? also do other DNR rules apply like can I use a net to catch them with a net or use a fish trap?
Thanks for the help

My father in law has a new pond that needs to be stocked and since i am the one that does all the fishing he wanted to know what i wanted put in the pond. The pond is about a half arce in size and about 20ft deep (rough estimates, dont have exact measurements). I love catching bass but want the pond to be well balanced. What advice do you guys have for stocking ponds?

If your father-in-law paid for the construction of the pond without cost assistance from the government then I would for sure stock it privately. I have been told that fishing limits do not apply and fishing licenses would not be required by anyone that is fishing the pond if the landowner paid for both construction and stocking. You wouldn't have to follow DNR rules if landowner paid for all expenses and stocked from private fish hatchery. I would second giving Beemer fisheries a call. Stock fathead minnows and bluegill in spring then catfish and bass this fall. The fathead minnows will reproduce several times this summer. That way when you stock the bass and catfish they will have plenty of forage with the minnows allowing your bluegill a better change to get established. Beemer will help with appropriate harvest rates per acre depending on your desired fishery. Managing for bass is different than for bluegill so explain your goals and he will help with the specifics. Good luck.

Last edited:
crappies

Get with the DNR.. They will stock it appropriately and for free as long as it meets a few certain criteria. They will recommend Bluegill, Bass, and Catfish. I would start with those and if you want maybe crappie in it, definately do not put them in for a few years until your bass are a decent size and can help control the crappie population. They will overpopulate FAST and become stunted.

I am really new to this, because I am from MN and we do not have stock ponds, since we lakes everywhere, and many of the ponds would freeze out...

Anyway, my question is in regards to crappie. Why would they overpopulate. I bought a parcel of land that has an existing pond. I am guessing one acre...18 feet deep I think.

It has bass and bluegill. I would like to stock crappie, any tips on why this would be a problem, or again, why would they overpopulate?

Mostly black crappie or white crappie down there??... my farm is south of Des Moines.

I am really new to this, because I am from MN and we do not have stock ponds, since we lakes everywhere, and many of the ponds would freeze out...

Anyway, my question is in regards to crappie. Why would they overpopulate. I bought a parcel of land that has an existing pond. I am guessing one acre...18 feet deep I think.

It has bass and bluegill. I would like to stock crappie, any tips on why this would be a problem, or again, why would they overpopulate?

Mostly black crappie or white crappie down there??... my farm is south of Des Moines.

Apparently they must have a very high hatch rate in spawn and if you don't have large enough bass that can help keep the crappie population in check, they will over-run the place.. I can think of at least two ponds i've fished where the owners didn't wait to stock them and several years later, all you catch are 5 inch crappies and it's almost every cast. Yea, it can be fun for a kid to fish, but, if you want quality over quantity, wait a few years.

Excerpt below from the IDNR website...
"Crappie are often stocked in ponds although they usually produce little fishing, seldom grow to acceptable size in ponds and compete directly with bass. They are not recommended for ponds."

I have experienced good crappie fishing in larger ponds, say 6 or more surface acres in southern Iowa. The only pond I had personal experience with that was overloaded with small crappies was fairly small, probably a 1 acre pond. I have heard many different people speak about this though and the theme has been consistent...don't put crappies in ponds, especially smaller ones.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom