Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

struggling this year

Reit38

ive had several toms within 30yds this year but havent been able to let an arrow fly yet. weird year for me although its only my 3rd year. ( have 1 jake under my belt and 1 tom that i thought was a great shot but flew off never to be found)

they gobble up a storm and act interested, and dont seem to be hen'd up when they are visable but wont commit. its a new property and seems like the tom,jake ratio is about the same as the hens. so far ive only ran 2 avian hens. thinking about adding the jake this weekend. would have thought the lone hens would have pulled them right in tho

Get your jake out. A tom can strut in a area waiting for your hen decoys to come to him, if they don't come to him they probably don't want to do the deed. If your jake is out he will be upset to see a jake with hens in his area and come in to investigate.

Jake , wear black in the blind and don't open too many windows, get there plenty early !

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'll definitely take the make out now, last weekend I counted 3 toms and 5 jakes hanging out together plus hens after fly down for atleast an hour before they made there way out of eye sight. After they leave the fly down area they are on the neighboring property

Been getting in the blind before 5 each morning

I would say put your jake out, and be patient. To many people give up way to soon. Just because the ones you see are gone,doesn't mean they won't come back or you aren't call a different one in.

Get that Jake out and be patient. Now with 4th season coming those hens will start nesting. I have shot a lot of birds at noon this time of year!

Man I feel your pain. Other than getting my son his first bird my season has stunk. Been out a ton and cannot seal the deal. tried different decoy set ups, moved locations, etc, etc. Been ignored by toms in the field, been skunked not seeing anything, had them come off roost and go opposite directions, had them circle on backside of blind and ignore decoys, had hens/jakes in field and toms stay in timber, best one was had one stuck on a fence gobbling at me for an hour pacing back and forth.

Been out a ton and cannot seal the deal. tried different decoy set ups, moved locations, etc, etc. Been ignored by toms in the field, been skunked not seeing anything, had them come off roost and go opposite directions, had them circle on backside of blind and ignore decoys, had hens/jakes in field and toms stay in timber, best one was had one stuck on a fence gobbling at me for an hour pacing back and forth.
Same here, birds seem uninterested no matter what I do. Hoping the warmer weather gets em back to normal.

Glad it doesn't sound like I'm the only one with the issue, seems like they are just not interested at all. Going to try and sit tomorrow night for my first night hunt depending on the wind

Top Bottom