Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stupid Question for Big Timber

katy

Ballagh
Do you think it is neccessary to put in a food plot in this scenerio: I hunt a stretch of timber with a creek running through it, there is corn to the south and west, alfalfa/hay to the south and east, and beans to the north??? What do you think? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

i vote no. you got all the food plots you need in crops and they sound like they're not that far off. if there's acerns in the timber you're even better off. how wide is the timber section? that may be a deciding factor as well.

sounds like you got it all to me, i wouldnt worry about it
smile.gif

No and Yes, No you have no shortage of food in the area so a food plot is not necessary. Yes it would help to leave some crop standing, like corn. In my opinion a deer will eat corn only second to acorns in the fall. If you could pay the farmer to leave an acre of corn in the right area you would have a goldmine come november when everything else has been chisel plowed or combined. Also if you leave corn, use the direction of the rows to help your hunting. A deer would much rather go down a row of corn than have to go through them. That is why were I hunt, we have left the long rows, and not end rows, because that is the direction the deer liked to travel naturally.

If you are able to get the plot in the timber or in a secluded area you will dramatically increase the chances of deer, especially wary bucks, using it during shooting hours. While you obviously have plenty of available food for you local herd, for hunting purposes you could help yourself out.

Super,
Sorry for the late response. It looks like your question is already answered but I wouldn't hesitate to put something in the timber. Even a small patch of clover or whatever you want to plant will help. OGZ hit the nail on the head.

Thanks,

BT

I would definatly try putting in something, thier is no such thing as to much food. When all the farmers around you have harvested you will be the only one with food. May not help you that much in October but it will pay off late November and help you all the wat thru shed season as well. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom