Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sugarbeets

Thanks for Posting this dbltree; this will be a first for me planting non round up ready sugar beets. But if they perform half as good as mine did last year I will still be happy:).

Well the deer only hit my rr sugarbeets a little bit, so I'm thinking since they are a biennial I may just let them go another year? Anyone see a problem with that?

Well the deer only hit my rr sugarbeets a little bit, so I'm thinking since they are a biennial I may just let them go another year? Anyone see a problem with that?

I think they will rot this spring so you'll need to re-plant with something else...;)

I think they will rot this spring so you'll need to re-plant with something else...;)

Yes. Go dig one up and squeeze it. I found some leftover turnips in the neighbors plot and they were mush. Im 99% your beets will be the same way.

Since we can't plant RR sugar beets this year, some conventional seed and herbicides are in order...;)

This herbicide will work for sugar beets and and red beets as well...this link mentiones the broadleaf weeds controlled.

Pyramin® DF

Herbicide for weed control in fodder beet, red beet, sugar beet,

mangolds, onions, chives and leeks:

Pyramin® DF BASF

Apply pre-emegence right after planting for best results!

Clethodim can be applied post-emergence to control foxtail so I'm going to get some sugar beet seed in the ground later this month and see what happens...:way:

I had an idea but no clue if it could actually work so I'm posting it up to see what you guys think. Since RR sugarbeets are not readily available, and I don't want to fool too much with trying to grow regular beets in spring, could they be planted in late summer/fall like a brassica. The plan would be to spray glyphosate a couple times on the field to eliminate competition, broadcast (wish I had a no-till drill) a HIGHER seed rate than spring seeding and cultipack.
My goal would be to have a lot of little beets versus a lower amount of the huge beets that come from spring planting. I would want it to canopy over quick like brassicas so the seeding rate would need to go up. That should help control weeds along with the couple roundup sprayings. I'm growing them for deer not beet production.

Do you guys think they would grow fast enough??? Any chance this would work?

Do you guys think they would grow fast enough??? Any chance this would work?

I guess it might work but you would get higher yields from brassicas at that point in the summer.

If you really want some small beets then I reckon your plan will probably work...;)

I planted conventional sugar beets the end of April so it will be interesting to see how they do this year.

CIMG1140.jpg

I applied 250#'s of 46-0-0 urea (115#'s actual N) and 200#'s of 6-24-24 and tilled it all in before planting.

I used prilled urea which is difficult to spread because it is about the consistancy of flour so I would avoid using this verus the pelleted form.

CIMG1138.jpg

CIMG1139.jpg

I tilled down both alfalfa and white clover that has been there for several years so additional nitrogen will become available as those legumes decompose thru out the summer.

I sowed seed on the heavy side because it was only 70% germination, lightly tilled in the seed and cultipacked to cover.

RRsugarbeatseed.jpg

CIMG1141.jpg

The seed is about the size of milo seed and could easily be planted with a planter or drill as well.

CIMG1142.jpg

I sprayed Pyramin® DF on at 5#'s per acre right after planting and will use clethodim as needed for grass control.

Stay tuned...we'll see how they do!:way:

If you really want some small beets then I reckon your plan will probably work...;)

Dbltree, could you keep an eye on them and maybe keep a small log of how big they get how fast. Then a person might have an idea that it takes X weeks to get Y size?

Dbltree, could you keep an eye on them and maybe keep a small log of how big they get how fast. Then a person might have an idea that it takes X weeks to get Y size?

You bet! I need to get a good exclusion fence up so i can see how they do without grazing too...;)

My friend Mike up in WI said he had maybe 50% germination of his sugarbeet seed from the same source as mine and from what I can see that's 100% better then mine! So far I haven't found a single plant that has germinated.

SugarBeetseed5-15.jpg

The Pyramin® DF really smoked the clover that I had tilled under so perhaps it was a little "hot" for the beets but the label does not mention any precautions at all as far as over applying and causing damage to the beets themselves.

SugarBeetplot5-15.jpg

The rains just won't quit this year so I'm not sure that I will have a chance to try another batch of seed or not but since I do have unopened packages I may do a ragdoll test and see if that yields any clues?

The seed only had a 70% germ test right from the get go and perhaps that was even just a tad "optimistic"...:rolleyes:

So far it seems I am destined to fail in the sugarbeet area... :confused:

Bought sugarbeets from fridgid forage this year.Germination was ok..however not what i expected.Planted almost one whole bag in .36 of an acre.got beets averaging 1 ft apart.expected a little thicker than that.Oh well its time for weed killing.I understand stinger can be used on beets?Also i have a nutsedge problem any solutions?I miss my roundup ready beets!

Bought sugarbeets from fridgid forage this year.Germination was ok..however not what i expected.Planted almost one whole bag in .36 of an acre.got beets averaging 1 ft apart.expected a little thicker than that.Oh well its time for weed killing.I understand stinger can be used on beets?Also i have a nutsedge problem any solutions?I miss my roundup ready beets!

Look back at the first page os this thread for more information on herbicides and mode of action. Clethodim will work on grasses in emerged sugarbeets ad I believe the Pyramin® DF can be pplied pot-emergence also.

Not as easy as using gly that's for certain...;)

Ended up paying an unemoloyed friend to weed wack the sedge down and leave the beets.Sprayed with stinger the day before yesterday.Went back yesterday and looked.Ragweed pigweed blackberry etc.. was cooked the beets were standing tall with just some burn spots.The day before spraying i spread 50 lbs of urea which would be about 25 pounds of N.Its only a little more than a third on an acre i used a little less than a half oz. of chemical in 4 gallons of water.The sedge is still there however I believe i will spread some winter rye on the plot in late oct. when the beets are mature.Then nuke everything in mid may to try to get rid of the sedge.Then plant a plot of brassicas in late july.

Mike sent some pics of his conventional sugarbeets, he sprayed them the end of May with 2 pints of Betamix and the looked like this on June 9th.

MikesBeets6-9.jpg

He then sprayed them with Select (clethodim) on the same day the pic was taken and on the 15th of June they look like this

MikesBeets6-15.jpg

He got the year old seed from Frigid Forage as I did and germination of his was 50% at best but what came up is looking great!

Mikessugarbeets6-15.jpg

The clethodim and Betamix seem to be doing the trick on weeds so hopefully Mike will keep us updated on his beets as the summer progresses.

I have some seed left but the non-stop rains make re-planting out of the question at any time in the forseeable future. I may toss some in with my brassicas and see if any of the seed germinates then, that of course is assuming July is dryer then June... ;)

Update on Mikes sugarbeets up in WI...looking great!!

June 27th

MikeSB6-27-2010.jpg

Root growth is getting started

Mike6-27SB.jpg

When the rains stopped for a few days and the wetaher heated up these things really took off!!

Mikes6-29-2010SB.jpg

Too much of anything is not good for crops that need plenty of moisture along with sunny days and warm humid nights for optimum growth. The wet spring/summer has been hard on many midwest crops and Mikes pictures show how much difference a few days of sunshine can make on a crop!

Mike is happy with his post-emergence weed control of Betamix and Select 2EC (clethodim) and he has some beets to be very proud of! :way:

Guess Mikes deer aren't gonna wait til winter to start chomping on his beets!

Sugarbeet3.jpg

It's not like they don't have anything to eat around his place either!

Sugarbeet2.jpg

Some little groundhog radishes coming up that he overseeded into some thin areas in the beats.

Sugarbeet1.jpg

For those just checking out sugarbeets...plant them in the spring not unlike corn, feed em plenty of nitrogen and do your homework on suitable herbicides and you'll have some great deer feed by fall!

Hello!
I want to ask you a question:
What is the value of RR sugar beet seeds?
And how you sow them?
The idea is to buy RR seeds, for example 36711RR and trying to sow them in Ukraine.
Because the climate and soil here is almost identical.
So think how much money we have to :), where these seeds to take, and how to deliver to Ukraine?

Hello!
I want to ask you a question:
What is the value of RR sugar beet seeds?
And how you sow them?
The idea is to buy RR seeds, for example 36711RR and trying to sow them in Ukraine.
Because the climate and soil here is almost identical.
So think how much money we have to :), where these seeds to take, and how to deliver to Ukraine?

Right now RR sugarbeet seed is not available...it's been taken off the market by court order and it's not known when they will allow it to be sold again...:confused:

Mike sent a pic of his sugar beets as of 9/6/2010....lookin' good! :way:

MikesSugarBeets.jpg

Mike noted that he has some foxtail and lambsquarters creeping in to the beets but the beets are beyond the point of the weeds interfering for the season.

Normally he has few deer on his farm until later in the fall and winter but he watched nearly 35 deer coming and going from his beet plot and as many as 10 bucks! Now Mike has tons of feed...literally...with chest high soybeans, 170 bushel corn and lush brassica plots...yet deer are focusing on his beets long before cold weather!

Growing conventional sugarbeets requires a little more herbicide management and several applications using Clethodim and Betamix herbicide or others such as Stinger and Pyramin DF but in the absence of RR sugarbeet seed, beets can be grown successfully.

Based on the number of deer in Mikes beet plot I suspect he will continue to plant them... ;)

Top Bottom