Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Summer Crappies

Finding crappie in the early spring has been pretty easy for me but have never really tried much after that. Any pointers or tips to help me locate crappies during the heat of summer? I've got a hunch a few of these Iowa deer hunters are also crappie experts! Thanks!

In lakes look for submerged structure in transition depths. Fish slow as they will be hanging close to the structure. Just my 2-cents.

One day we came across that the middle of the lake can be a killer spot. It wasn't just one day, it was all summer long. We were in 40 feet of water but the fish were 2-5 feet. Don't know why they would be there but they were everywhere (and it wasn't like they were chasing bait fish, where you had to follow the school). Maybe the hot temperatures brought them there? Maybe try that haha Good luck

Last edited:
do you have access to a boat? I agree with Junior that they are more than likely suspended somewhere away from shoreline. we also find them slow trolling (very slowly) with just a small jig and leech or minnow on it and periodically jigging it. once you have a few hit- mark the area and keep trolling over that spot.

Crappies like weedy areas near drop offs. Sometimes they are in the cabbage beds, coontail weeds, outside edge. Right now I am finding them in 14 feet of water.

In MN lakes--any dead branchy timber in deeper water, 10-18 feet, I almost guarantee you will find crappies.

Last edited:
All good info, I would start looking in shallow structure and keep moving deeper till you find them. Decent electronics is a game changer. Like others have said you will likely find them suspended in deeper water over the summer months. Slip bobber with tube jig or minnow over structure or pull small crank baits in deeper water looking for suspended fish (assuming you have a boat).

Top Bottom