Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sunlight

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I set some of my nicer sheds in a glass case in a room near a couple windows. It looks nice I think, but my fear is the sin coming in from the windows sun bleaching them.

I’ve always wondered about this and deer mounts that people have near windows. I am worried the sun will cause them to fade in the case with the sun. Is this something to be concerned with?

4b75c252562b23ab68e6fe6d89f29755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine had a deer mount in his house that received sun through the window every day and after a few years, it was noticeably faded. But that was the hide, I didn't really notice whether the antlers faded or not, but it seems plausible.

I set some of my nicer sheds in a glass case in a room near a couple windows. It looks nice I think, but my fear is the sin coming in from the windows sun bleaching them.

I’ve always wondered about this and deer mounts that people have near windows. I am worried the sun will cause them to fade in the case with the sun. Is this something to be concerned with?

I have 2 that way. Basically ruined them. Look ok on one side, nearly white on the other. Definitely want to keep them away from any direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Your display looks really nice! The sun in time will make things go south. A few hours a day you might be okay but to much will kill them again.
My deer are in my basement and they see zero sun light. It would be interesting to hear other members comments.

Last edited:
My bigger sheds are sitting in the bay window of the living room. Some have been there 4 or 5 years and have lost their color.

You can have a UV protective coating applied to the windows that will prevent much of the problem. We did that in our living room a number of years ago to protect leather furniture. Mounts are in another room on lower level where blinds are always drawn.

Well dang, this is a bummer. I don't have many areas to display them. That would be out of the sunlight, unless I keep my blinds closed most of the time. Wish my basement was finished.

Check into the UV coatings as HorseDoctor mentioned. It’s amazing the difference a shed can bleach in a week in direct sunlight when stationary. We have found one side fresh and the other side one or two weeks later after they have dropped and it’s very evident. This still baffles me as the antlers have been exposed to the same conditions while still on the deers head.

I keep mine in the basement like Ishi so I have no issues, some are decades old. Just like a shed antler, after a month in direct sunlight they start to fade out on one side facing sunlight.

If you look in a taxidermy catalog (mckenzie) you can buy a bottle of antler stain and make them look "fresh"again! Not that hard ! Practice on some smaller ones first !

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom