Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

super magnum loads.

J

jason

I was wondering if any of you turkey hunter shoot a 3 1/2 inch shell. How does it performe? Is it just more shoot, or is there more power too? And is it worth spending the money to purches it?
Thanks!
Good luck this up coming spring!

Jason,
I shoot 3 1/2" turkey loads but I'll be the first to say that a 3" load is plenty for turkey hunting if you call'em in close.
Two year's ago I bought a Mossburg mainly for the camoflauge on the gun,I got tired of trying to get a gun sock to stay on my 1100 remington.It's a great gun but I ended up trying all kind's of different loads in this gun and I also ended up buying a $60.00 choke.What I found out is that some of the 3" load's shot just as well as the 3 1/2" shell's.I just could not stand carrying a 3 1/2" gun with 3" shell's in it so I ended up with a Kick's choke and 3 1/2" winchester high velosity 5's.This represent's alot of money spent just to get a little more range that I got.I have shot 4 turkey's with this combo and I will tell you that of those 4 turkey's I have gotten I could have got all of them with a 3" gun.
I think that there will be a hunt at some point were the extra payload might make a difference but I think that it will not be very often if I play the game like I'm suppose to.
Sorry about rambling on but I just wanted to let you know what I went through to go to the "BIG GUN".

[This message has been edited by Buckhunter (edited 12-11-2001).]

I think someone figured out another way to get our money
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-12-2001).]

ILL PUT HEVI-SHOT UP AGAINST ANY LOAD COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED. A 2 3/4 " #6 IS DEVASTATING. REMINGTON JUST PURCHASED HEVI-SHOT, AND ARE MAKING AVAIL. IN MANY VARYING SIZES AND GAUGES. THE OLD DAYS OF PASS SHOOTING THE HIGH FLYING GOOSE ARE RETURNING-----IMAGINE WHAT THE NEW 10 GAUGE TURKEY LOAD WILL DO? I DO NOT CONDONE LONG SHOTS,HOWEVER THIS STUFF WILL COMPENSATE FOR RANGING ERRORS AND IN A HARD WAY. I SHOT 4 BIRDS WITH IT LAST YEAR AND ITS KNOCKS 'EM OUT COLD.I SHOT 1 TURKEY LAST SPRING AT 63 YARD(RANGE FINDER USED) JUST TO SEE HOW FAR IT WOULD REACH. THAT WAS A 2 3/4" SHELL!!!M350 OUT

I shoot the big cigars in my Mossberg 835. I have taken 3 birds with it that I could have shot with a .410. I like the added security of a follow-up shot at long range. I can get a nice pattern out to 50 yards with my Terminator choke. Just my opinion. Late.

The good thing with Hevi-shot is that you can use any gun without a full choke!!!!!
Any gun you use for ducks/geese/pheasants or any bird you can now shoot a turkey with it while using a modified choke!!!!!! I had a friend shoot 2 turkeys with it this fall. The first one was flat out cold and the second one was down and when it tried to get up and fly he shot it again and put pellets in its wings hard enough at 40 yards that the wing was hanging by 1 small bone and some ligaments! How cool is that!

well I'm out,

deerslayer22788

when i used to shotgun hunt i always thought "bigger is better" like a typical male. I always looked for the biggest shell with the biggest load i could find. after a few years we started doing the patterning and for us personally a #5 shot in a 3" mag put out a helluva pattern. you have more pellets and they pattern really well up to 40 yards. of course a 10 ga does a wonderful job anytime you pull the trigger. =) i literally bent a metal fence post while patterning this load. now-a-days my super magnum load is a muzzy tipped carbon arrow spat from a PSE Quantum bow!

Top Bottom