Surface drive ?'s

Discussion in 'Fishing the Midwest' started by 4DABUCKS, Apr 18, 2018.

1. 4DABUCKS

4DABUCKS PMA Member

Hey all, I have little knowledge of surface drive motors. I live just a couple miles from both the Shell Rock and Cedar Rivers. We catch quite a few fish in the spring and fall but I'm looking for an option to be able too fish all year long.
    I've recently been in touch with the guys at SW marine in palo. Of course they want me to buy one of their boats and say a surface drive is exactly what I need.
    I'm looking at an Excel 1854 with a 40hp mud buddy or gator tail.
    If anyone has any experience with a surface drive I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Thanks in advance!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Don't personally have one but have fished out of a buddies flat bottom alot with a mud buddy on it. Used it alot on Cedar in Waverly and CF all year and also it does the job on the Mississippi as well along with lakes. It has taken a beating and went alot of places most motors wont go

4DABUCKS likes this.
  4. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

The guys at SW Marine are the go to guys for these around here. Shawn the owner is a good buddy. I wouldn’t hesitate to use his advise.
    He puts em to the test and knows what works.