Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Survivors and sheds

Gladiator

PMA Member
Here we go! A little late into the 2016 campaign but not a bad start nonetheless.

Jan and Feb are spent letting the camera batteries die out and see what the farm will inventory for next year. It is a longer 2 months, but as an Activities Director at a successful school, time flies....that is for sure!

Pulling the cards is always a bonus, but I got out and frost seeded some clover into a small plot of dbltree mix this past Friday, March 4. Looks like we had one more night of frost so I hope it works! I also put some in the bean plot from last year - about a strip or so to give them some diversity come this year.

There are a few bucks we were familiar with that made it throughout the season - 4 in particular that we would have shot given the chance. Our #1 buck we are after now is Big Sixy....although he has turned into a very nice P&Y 7 pointer. He was all over a certain part of the farm and loved showing up.....when we were not there. I believe I knew where he was bedding and snuck in for an early hunt on the last day of the season, but after not finding a tree in that area, we moved about 100 yards......only to jump him up exactly where we thought he'd be on the way out. I was kicking myself pretty hard. Here he is:

MFDC2133.jpg

MFDC1864.jpg

MFDC2164.jpg

MFDC2165.jpg

MFDC1865.jpg

IMAG0465%202.jpg

Cdy00038.jpg

Cdy00013.jpg

This deer, and another very similar, was inside 35 yards twice, but I could NOT get a shot off. They were right there, only to slip away just as quickly as they walked into my life. They both are living in the same area as Big Sixy.
Cdy00056.jpg

IMAG0294%202.jpg

IMAG0363%202.jpg

IMAG0025%202.jpg

PICT0158.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

This deer was all OVER the place....can't wait for him to grow up next year. He was a regular on the small plot and one of the first bucks on our first food plot. He was also one of the last bucks on the plot as well...hope he does the same.
Cdy00010.jpg

February 21?????
PICT1189.jpg

Going to have to start packing heat in the woods...this makes me a little nervous!
PICT1393.jpg

This is a buck I thought we called the Sticker 10, but he is a 9 point this year and is going a little down hill...we'll see what happens. Had him on the ground at 60 yards last year and couldn't quite get a shot at him. He was around early and then late again. Love the looks of him!
IM000827.jpg

IMAG0496%202.jpg

Albino turkeys anyone? I think there are 4-5 of them on the farm. I have 4 in one picture.
IM000287.jpg

Lots of pics of this guy...I call him "Boots" for his black legs. Love God's handiwork!
IMAG0497%202.jpg

Single file boys!
IMAG0343%202.jpg

Of course this happens while walking out....a yearling who desperately wanted the clover more than caring about me. :needHelp:
IMAG0001%202.jpg

There is a BIG kitty running around the place with an awesome spot pattern! Pretty large on camera - would love to see him walk by during the season...the 3rd pic is a normal bobcat photo we get. See the 1st 2 pics for comparison!
PICT0439.jpg

PICT0440.jpg

PICT0759.jpg

Lastly, after checking cams, Caleb and I knew one of us needed to check the bean plot. Although the beans didn't really get much off the ground, the deer were hammering any type of stubble and/or beans left over in the plot in February. So, Caleb walked through the plot and ended up finding 2 sheds!! Wow - talk about a reward/present....that absolutely made my season when I heard that.
6BF1BF9A-0C2B-45E1-ABE4-E44151E0BA66.jpg

That about does it - looking forward to the next footplots already!!

sweet pics! it rare for us to get a fox on camera i think in the 8 years we've ran cameras theres been one fox

I foresee much gobbling in your woods this spring. The off colored turkeys are called a smoke phase. I like them better than all white. The bobcat is a chunk. Enjoy fox pics also I guess because there aren't many. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom