Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Re: Switchgrass - Thistle Control

You got it Paul... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

26cs_140.jpg

Re: Switchgrass - after the burn

Paul,
What do you suggest if they don't get smothered. It is our 8th year and still have a big thistle problem. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking forward to trying Milestone. Is that the only option?

It will smoke thistles. If they are real bad, run 7 oz to the acre instead of 5 oz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Switchgrass - after the burn

Thanks Brian, I will give it a shot. It can't get any worse...

Re: Switchgrass - Thistle control

Paul,
What do you suggest if they don't get smothered. It is our 8th year and still have a big thistle problem. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking forward to trying Milestone. Is that the only option?

It will smoke thistles. If they are real bad, run 7 oz to the acre instead of 5 oz.

I also noticed that Stinger and the generic version Spur herbicide are approved for thistle control in CRP plantings...any thoughts on those Brian?

Last edited:

Hate to hi-jack but what if my thistles are wide spread and I just want to spot spray. Cost per acre would drop dramatically compared to spraying the whole property. What type of "spot spray" would work the best without leaving dead spots on the CRP like Round-up does?

Hate to hi-jack but what if my thistles are wide spread and I just want to spot spray. Cost per acre would drop dramatically compared to spraying the whole property. What type of "spot spray" would work the best without leaving dead spots on the CRP like Round-up does?

I think both Milestone and Stinger/Spur can be spot sprayed and niether would leave "dead spots" like roundup would.

I think they both have info about spot spraying with a backpack sprayer (or ATV sprayer) as quite often thistles are spread out.

If you could find someone to split it with it would sure bring the costs down too.

Last edited:

Thanks Paul, now if it would quit raining long enough to spray something. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Paul, stinger works ok, not our choice for thistles. Tordon and 2 4 d will do better than stinger. I am really stuck on Milestone. I have seen this stuff work great many, many times.

For example, we sprayed a pasture this year that has never been sprayed. You want to talk about thistles, there were more of them than grass. Within 5 days, all the thistles were brown, and now you can't find one out there to save your life.

I don't know about your local coop, but we sell Milestone by the quart for backpack and atv sprayers. If anyone needs a quart, I can see if I can get them one, but they have to be in reasonable distance of me. Right now I am all over the southern and southwest part of the state.

Paul, stinger works ok, not our choice for thistles. Tordon and 2 4 d will do better than stinger. I am really stuck on Milestone. I have seen this stuff work great many, many times.

For example, we sprayed a pasture this year that has never been sprayed. You want to talk about thistles, there were more of them than grass. Within 5 days, all the thistles were brown, and now you can't find one out there to save your life.

I don't know about your local coop, but we sell Milestone by the quart for backpack and atv sprayers. If anyone needs a quart, I can see if I can get them one, but they have to be in reasonable distance of me. Right now I am all over the southern and southwest part of the state.

That kind of information is hard to come by Brian...we certainly appreciate your input on herbicides.

Without some real expertise...it's just trial and error.

That's great that it is available in small quanities, although it sounds like Limb may need a 55 gallon barrel! :)

Last edited:

I got pictures yesterday I will share shortly... I can't wait to try the Milestone you got me all jacked up Brian... :)

I am obviously data sheet impaired, can you guys help as to how many oz per gallon I should use milestone to be used in a spot spray mode? I see 5-7 oz per acre, but I'm not sure what that translate to for my small spot sprayer...any help would be appreciated.

I am obviously data sheet impaired, can you guys help as to how many oz per gallon I should use milestone to be used in a spot spray mode? I see 5-7 oz per acre, but I'm not sure what that translate to for my small spot sprayer...any help would be appreciated.

Try this link for help in that area:

Calibrating Backpack Sprayers

Last edited:

For spot spraying, you want 7 oz of milestone to 15 gallon of water. Just do the math for bigger or smaller sprayers. Basically .5 oz of mileston to every gallon of water.

Re: Switchgrass - Cover crop

dbltree, I have some places I want to put some switch but they are on hel. They are brome now. I'm going to mow and kill that late this summer then I was thinking about drilling in rye and switch in aug, sept. The rye will hold the soil and weeds down in the spring, but do you think it would drowned out the switch?

Re: Switchgrass - Cover crop

dbltree, I have some places I want to put some switch but they are on hel. They are brome now. I'm going to mow and kill that late this summer then I was thinking about drilling in rye and switch in aug, sept. The rye will hold the soil and weeds down in the spring, but do you think it would drowned out the switch?

That time of year won't work for seeding switchgrass. It's best frost seeded in late winter or very very early spring.

Kill the sod in late summer and no-till the swithgrass in late winter (or broadcast it on frozen ground) and the killed sod will hold the soil. No need to till it and cause erosion.

Switchgrass seedlings cannot tolerate competition and rye is way to much competition.

I prefer atrazine to keep competition to a minimum just as one would for corn.

Last edited:
Re: Switchgrass - August

Burning the switchgrass in early May...

Switchfire1.jpg

leads to a nice thick stand by August...

S5000211.jpg

No thistles here Limb... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

S5000210.jpg

This mowed path gives one an idea of the hieght and thickness..

S5000212.jpg

Deer and other wildlife really love to bed in this stuff in hot weather even...

S5000213.jpg

Anybody else have after burn pics or results of spraying/thistle control?

I had big problems with canada thistle when I visited my place in the spring. I haven't been able to visit my place much this summer, but after a paniced mowing after seeing them taking over, and then later manually cutting(riding an ATV through them while yielding a machette is quite a good stress reliever) I turned to Tordon 22K. That killed the thistles(I manually sprayed them with a 2 gallon pump sprayer) but it also looked like a bomb went off around my test sprays. I then turned to Milestone and sprayed with my ATV. I have two sections of CP25 planted, one small plot that had the massive infestation, and a larger section. The small section looks much better than the larger section now since spraying with the milestone. Not many weeds and the grasses are taller. My larger section didn't have the amount of infestation, and it looks worse with regards to weeds. So, I kind of wish I would have spot sprayed more in my large area. The other thing I learned was in my front section a neighbor mistakenly mowed a 30 ft section about 100 ft long right to the ground about 5 weeks ago. I went back this weekend and that area look incredibly good with regards to weeds and the grasses came back thick. So, I guess in my second year my lesson learned would be to spot spray more and I wish I could have afforded to pay for a mowing because is seemed to pay benefits. these are two quick pics I took Sunday on my first visit in 5 weeks or so..not the best quality, but it shows pics of my small area doing great...Milestone has been great for me.
13852007_06260089.JPG

13852007_06260090.JPG

manually cutting(riding an ATV through them while yielding a machette is quite a good stress reliever)

Love it, nice image! I am glad to read that I am not the only one improvising on this food plot stuff. :)

I turned to Tordon 22K. That killed the thistles(I manually sprayed them with a 2 gallon pump sprayer) but it also looked like a bomb went off around my test sprays.

So the Tordon killed the grasses too?

Good information comparing Tordon, Milestone and timely mowing

Now you need to see what late spring burning will do...

Last edited:
Top Bottom